Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2022, 03:41 PM   #1

Need To Locate Components

I had to have my motorhome towed because the brake line was either cut or it had just wore out. (The tow truck driver said the line wore out, but I don't think that a brake line just wears out.) The brake line is mostly metal, except for a short piece down towards the rear in front of the differential. That piece is rubber-like. Probably hydraulic.

Anyway, the tow truck driver had to remove the drive shaft in order to tow my motorhome.

Two problems -
1.) The tow truck driver didn't return to me the bracket & bolts that secure the U-Joint to the drive shaft. So, now I have to find out where I can get those.

2.) I crawled underneath to look at the broken brake line. I do not know if the driver removed the broken portions, or if he tucked the 2 ends in somewhere underneath the motorhome. I need to be able to take the 2 pieces of the brake line to a company that can make another line for me. They would need to see the 2 ends to be able to make a new line. But, I need to get those 2 pieces.

I don't want to have to put brake fluid into the system, pump the brake pedal (JUST A COUPLE OF TIMES) then look underneath the motorhome for where the brake fluid is dripping onto the ground to be able to locate the broken line.

But, it looks like that's going to be my only option.
Slyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2022, 03:58 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would find your tow truck driver through the company that ordered the tow. Get your parts back from them. Those parts generally do not wear out and will be hard to obtain. It's their responsibility to get your property back to you.

Maybe driver can tell you where the damaged line is?

As for adding fluid and pumping pedal, put down some newspaper or cardboard. Will show the leak location and save your parking spot from the spill.
code2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 06:12 AM   #3

I have aleady asked the driver,.& he said that he gave me the parts.

I explained that I do not have them, & he insists that he gave them to me.

If I had to, I could always contact WInnebago, & pay through the nose to get those parts.

I like your idea of putting down some newspaper.
Old 09-18-2022, 07:53 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
You can remove the bolts and keeper clip from the other side of the u joint and take the u joint and all parts to a local truck dealer. They will be able to match up what is missing. You may be able to get the bolts and keeper only if that is all you are short. If the cups are missing, I would just replace the whole u join so everything matches up. It’s not uncommon to see these get lost or mislaid in the shuffle of towing.

Before pumping the brakes and causing more air to be sucked into the system, I would follow the brake lines from the master cylinder to all 4 wheels ends. If your brake pedal went to floor, the leak should be obvious. Hard lines can corrode and fail with age. The most common weak point are the flexible rubber lines between the frame and the suspension. The one you mentioned at the rear end and then ones that go to each front wheel. In some chassis there may also be additional rubber connector lines as the brake hard lines are run through the chassis frame rails. If it was one of the rubber lines, then I would replace all the the rubber brake hoses as you make your repair. A truck hydraulic supply (some larger NAPA stores offer this as well) can make up both style of lines if needed. In some cases they are pre made on the shelf. Good luck investigating.
Bruce Anthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 08:01 AM   #5

If its a gas Motorhome, you need Ford or GM parts for the drive shaft, not Winabaggo.

Try the Vin# in RockAuto.com
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 09:21 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
If its a gas Motorhome, you need Ford or GM parts for the drive shaft, not Winabaggo.

Try the Vin# in RockAuto.com

X2 ...what twin boat said..chasis is not winnebago
You should be able to get the parts you need over the counter

Greg
40' Tag Axle Quad slide CCI #11811
16 Jeep Wrangler, Airforce One
gnvrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 09:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyder View Post

If I had to, I could always contact WInnebago, & pay through the nose to get those parts.

As others have said, you don't want to get chassis parts from WBGO.
I'm GUESSING you have the WCC W-24 chassis under your 38T coach. IF SO, the sixth vin character will be an "A". This does not apply IF you have a Ford F-53 chassis.

In addition to the source(s) already mentioned, you may also find the parts you need at: www.urvp.com where entering your vin # will ensure correct fit parts.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 12:34 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyder View Post

The one time my fuel pump died and my coach had to be towed. The driver put the parts in a baggie and tossed them in the door. I was fortunate to find them later.

Perhaps your driver did same and baggie is in hiding?

As others have said, Winnebago won't help. Your VIN number at the chassis dealership parts counter, if it comes to that.
code2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 08:38 PM   #9

Hopefully that tow truck driver who removed your driveshaft marked it so it's easy to re-install properly. A driveshaft installed "out of time" will vibrate and damage the automatic transmission rear seal and bearing, and the differential seal and bearing in an amazingly short time.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 05:53 PM   #10

Do I look for some sort of mark on the drive shaft?
Would there also be some sort of mark where the drive shaft bolts up to?
Old 09-20-2022, 05:57 PM   #11

Yes.

I have the W24 chassis.
Old 09-20-2022, 05:59 PM   #12

Y'all have given me some great ideas as to where to try to locate the parts that I need.

I would have made the mistake of asking Winnebago for the parts.
Old 09-20-2022, 06:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Anthon View Post
... If it was one of the rubber lines, then I would replace all the the rubber brake hoses as you make your repair ...
That's a great idea.
I was thinking about just that one brake hose.
But, my motorhome is over 10 ten years old, ,& I have no idea of the maintenance history.
I'd sure hate to lose another brake line going down the road because I only replaced this line.

Tags
cat