Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2012, 08:19 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to markhansen
Need to replace 6 volt house batteries

I have done some reseach on this subject, but need to get some expert opinions. I'm looking at Napa, Trojan and Excid. What's the best bang for the buck as they would say. Thanks in advance for your expertise.
markhansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2012, 09:32 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I prefer Trojans for their long time good reputation and longitivity. I think I would go with those over the other two. However, Interstate U2200s are also a fine 6v deep cycle. Others have been buying 6v deep cycle from Costco and Sam's Club at cheaper prices and been happy with them. I'm about 5 years out to replace my Trojans, but If I had to replace them today, I would consider the Costcos if they are $30 less @ piece as has been reported.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #3

Costco or Sam's for LLA(liquid lead acid) type.

If cost isn't an object, then Lifeline AGM(absorbed glass mat) type is another way to go. www.lifelinebatteries.com
Old 09-21-2012, 02:04 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Best Trojan
Best bang for the buck: Sam's Club

I would not spring for Lifelines (AGM) less there were issues that made AGM necessary.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:13 PM   #5

Several ways to purchase batteries.
what ever you choose you might do this, add 4oz of pure mineral oil to each 6v cell.
Our neighbor owns one of the largest Golf Cart business in Florida and he has done this with every cart they put out. It helps to keep corrison from the plates, he gets well over 5 years on his batteries.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:29 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Just replaced four Interstate U2200's with AGM's from Sams club. $159.00 ea. Not the same as Lifelines, but good-nuff for me. Not a big boondocker.

Pass on their offer of $10.00 for a core credit. They are worth more at the scrap yard. Currently $.23/lb in my area.

Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:57 PM   #7

I installed the Interstate GC2-XHD batteries. They were priced at $141 at the interstate store. These are the second generation of these batteries. So far, they have worked great for me. Several other members have them on her also. My main reason for getting these is that have an account with Firestone and I was able to charge them.
PirateCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:56 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Best Trojan

I would not spring for Lifelines (AGM) less there were issues that made AGM necessary.
My Lifelines have saved me hours and hours of cleaning and repainting. They've been a real blessing since I bought them. Sure do hurt the wallet though.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:14 PM   #9
KIX

I recommend the Trojan T 105's. They are used a lot in golf carts. I have 4 in the moho and 6 in the golf cart. There's a golf repair shop in Eustis (Langston) that usually has good prices on Trojans.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 04:35 AM   #10
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Best Trojan

+1
Agree 100%
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:10 AM   #11

try ebay. I purchased last year and got a great deal but you needed to have them delivered to a commercial location, if you have one. They wont deliver to a residence. They will pick up you oldies for the new ones.
jmarmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:26 AM   #12

I used golf cart 6 volt deep cycle batteries.....you ca't get any battery that meets the punishment golf cart batteries get....cost is a lot less
corjaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:43 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I upgraded from the Trojan T-105 to the Trojan T-145 Plus. Each battery has a 260 amp hour rating. Which gives me a total of 1040 amp hours. I do a little boon docking at Quartzsite and at the Ventura beaches each year. They work nice for me. They are however a little pricey.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie-dokie View Post
I upgraded from the Trojan T-105 to the Trojan T-145 Plus. Each battery has a 260 amp hour rating. Which gives me a total of 1040 amp hours. I do a little boon docking at Quartzsite and at the Ventura beaches each year. They work nice for me. They are however a little pricey.
You must have 8 of them?

When using 6 volt batteries in our MH they need to be connected "in series" which is additive(6v+6v=12v) and doubles the voltage, but reserve cap is not additive(260+260=260).

When connecting 12v batts in our MH, they need to connected "in parallel" which is not additive(12v+12v=12v) and doesn't double the voltage(12v+12v=12v), but does double the capacity(130hr+130hr=260hr).

So, in our 12v MH, it would take 4 series connected pairs(4x2=8) to get 1040 amp hrs.

Most MHs would have 4 6v house batts, which would equal 520 amp hrs when using T-145 pluses. (260hr+260hr=260hr)+(260hr+260hr=260hr)=520hr.

Is this clear as mud now?

Tags
batteries, replace