Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2015, 09:46 PM   #1

Need to replace TV thats in 8 year old coach

My problem is my TV needs to be replaced in my 08 Pace Arrow 38P. The whole wiring system for all TV's and components is RCA 3 wire red, white, and yellow. Now try to find a TV that can be wired into this system. The new TV's mostly have just HDMI inputs. I'm looking for some ideas before I start with a HDMI wiring job.
racer26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2015, 09:54 PM   #2

My home TV is that way, three wire, yes it's an 18 year old Sony rear projection. My coach has cathode ray tubes, not certain how I will get around them if I need to replace them. Yours seems easy, all you need do is purchase the conversion cable. Hope that helps.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:55 PM   #3

Retired Fire Service RVer's
I replaced both CRT tv's in our DP with LED flat screens and skipped the HDMI cables and stayed with coax. Now we only get 720 dpi through the coax but it works for us...nice and crisp...JMHO
Paramedic 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 09:58 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Go to Google search.

Type in....convert rca to hdmi

You will get a ton of ways to do it.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 10:02 PM   #5

You should be able to find TV's that have RCA inputs and not just HDMI. I would be highly surprised if most TV's especially the small ones that fit in these RV's don't have RCA.

It wasn't difficult finding TV's with RCA inputs when we upgraded our 38P a year or so ago.
NC25T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2015, 10:31 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Component video inputs should be readily findable. If needed to go HDMI consider wireless HDMI instead of running wires.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 06:52 AM   #7

I purchased a small box that converts the cables you have to HDMI. You can get them from many sources - I purchased mine from Amazon.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 07:58 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer26 View Post
My problem is my TV needs to be replaced in my 08 Pace Arrow 38P. The whole wiring system for all TV's and components is RCA 3 wire red, white, and yellow. Now try to find a TV that can be wired into this system. The new TV's mostly have just HDMI inputs. I'm looking for some ideas before I start with a HDMI wiring job.
You can replace your tv's and use your bat wing to receive over the air hd signals without any issues except size. If you are trying to distribute hd satellite to all your tv's then you will need new wires and such. And most tv's still have rca jacks so you can connect a cd player.

I use a Winegard directv traveler and ran coax from the av cabinet to the bedroom and the outside tv. My directv receiver then connects to each of the tv's using the main box and two mini's. The cd player still connects to the rear tv through the original distribution box.
Old 11-27-2015, 09:27 AM   #9

The yellow plug is "composite video". The red and white are audio.
I bought a Samsung 40" TV about 3 months ago. It has HDMI, component video, composite video, and audio inputs. The component video inputs are for red, green and blue signals.
Since your coach apparently has only composite video, look in the specs of the new TVs you're considering.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 10:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Component video inputs should be readily findable. If needed to go HDMI consider wireless HDMI instead of running wires.
That's a great idea
Old 11-30-2015, 07:13 AM   #11

I replaced both TV's w/flat screens and on the front TV ran a HDMI cable from the side cabinet to the front TV using winegard travlr dish and bring my DTV home receiver to MH on trips.Still can use the switch box for OTA antenna and campground cable connections to both TV's. I did not run a HDMI cable to bedroom TV but could in the future.
Snomas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 02:09 PM   #12

The issue w/ the conversion is that you're still at the RCA quality - it's more of an adapter than true HDMI. You'll need to run it from the source if you want the upgrade.
lincoln20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 02:51 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Ho: If you are going to the trouble to replace with TV, why not go all the way and just use HDMI? You didn't say if you have satellite TV and what kind of antenna. If you have a Winegard Trav'ler you can get real 1080 HD with very little added work. Just use an HDMI cable from the BluRay DVD to the TV and plug the satellite receiver into another HDMI input. Why would you want to keep the RCA cables?

Of course, having done the above you might want to improve the sound system to real 5.1 high quality sound. This would require new 5.1 amplifier and some new speakers, but if you don't want this complication your new TV should have RCA connectors. You just won't get the same sound quality. Same goes for video. You can at least get good quality from your BluRay DVD player.

It really depends on why you want to upgrade your sytem and how much you're willing to do.
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:28 PM   #14

I went with wireless HDMI transmitter/receiver setup. Easy to set up too. It gave my 3 TVs in my MH high def.
it also allowed me to have multiple input sources. Such as satellite receiver and a Blueray player.
If you want better sound then get a good soundbar and a wireless subwoofer.

2013 Georgetown XL 378

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
wrapperman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replace, ace