Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2017, 06:59 PM   #1

Need Water Heater help

Hi

We have a 1989 Rexhall Airex that needs a new water heater. I pulled the old one out and gave the numbers to the local RV dealer. It is a Morflow American, Series 05-30 DSI (propane only). I have looked everywhere on the unit ( including on the inside of the door ) but can't find any other model or serial number.

Of course Morflow is no longer in business. The parts books cross this heater to the Suburban series of heaters but there are hundreds of them and the Morflow numbers don't cross to any Suburban heater. The dealer isn't getting anywhere on finding a replacement. I am getting a bit desperate since we leave next week on holidays. I didn't think this would be such a big deal.

Does anyone have any idea of a way to get a replacement heater figured out for this old bus?

Thanks
Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1638.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	167438   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1639.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	167439  

Name:	IMG_1641.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	167440  
Skygeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2017, 08:22 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I don't see why you can't get a Suburban heater the same size and just install it. You may be able to upgrade to a duel propane /electric unit. The Suburban website should show dimensions.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:24 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Since RV water heaters are all self-contained, I don't see the need for an exact replacement. The old one had in and out water lines, a gas line, and 12v power. Get one of the same tank capacity of the old one and install it.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 09:02 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Spartan Chassis
Measure the opening in your coach then find a model that fits or close to it. You will likely need to order the outside door due to exact size, hinge and latch style.
I agree with getting a dual heat (propane & electric) for the little extra cost. You don't need to connect the electric now, but can always do it later.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:11 AM   #5

Hooray, thanks to a knowledgeable RV tech I found the Suburban replacement for the old MorFlow heater in our RV. The big time RV lot said there were too many Suburban models and they couldn't find a replacement. So I went to the little place down the road and The Old Guy Who Knows Everything (TOGWKE) not only knew which one would work, he had one on the shelf.

So in the interests of archiving this info, here is the dope on the new water heater

The old heater was a MorFlow American, Series 05-30 DSI ( propane only ). This crosses to a Suburban SW6 D ( propane only ). You need to buy the flange kit for it to allow mounting the same as the old Morflow. And you need to make up a short copper propane line to reach from the front of the Suburban water heater to the back of the unit where the old MorFlow supply comes out of the floor.

The electrical is exactly the same as the MorFlow. Keep track of the what colour wire from the RV goes to which colour wire on the old water heater. The Surburban has exactly the same coloured wires as the Moflow, so just hook them up exactly as they were.

That's it. Wonderful hot water and lots of showers!

Don
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1661.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	169431   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1663.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	169432  

Name:	IMG_1662.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	126.9 KB
ID:	169433  
Old 07-22-2017, 03:36 PM   #6

Them old guys are pretty darn smart. I wonder why🤔
iamblum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 06:45 PM   #7

I'm really hoping you just have the pictures oriented wrong. If not, you're gonna' have some problems for sure.
Old 07-22-2017, 07:04 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I'm really hoping you just have the pictures oriented wrong. If not, you're gonna' have some problems for sure.
I suspect these pics were taken with an Apple device. Apple has there own version of right side up.
Old 07-23-2017, 07:15 AM   #9

Yes these are iPhone photos. The weird thing is that the first series of photos showing the old water heater were also taken with my iPhone. They came out fine, but the new ones are cockeyed.

DonM

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater