Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2011, 03:16 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by distaff View Post
Not relevant to the subject of the thread, but here is the truck before and after.
Very nice, if you need a parking spot my driveway is open
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2011, 05:31 PM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
For me, pittin hit the nail on the lead. I know there are those like the other posters mentioned. However, I have personal experience with "neighbors" getting mean because they were asked to have some courtesy. I walk every morning. Some of the houses have parked their cars blocking the sidewalk and/or let their shrubs grow wild blocking the sidewalk. I have asked each neighbor to not block the sidewalk. 100% responded negatively. So, I inform code enforcement and they took care of the situations. Several home owners fought blocking the sidewalk and got fined. Several got angry at me for needing the sidewalk. I mentioned to them all the code violations that are easily seen from the street and if they couldn't grow some courtesy they'd be correcting those violations.

This seems a pretty simple thing. Any adult should know enough not to perpetually block a sidewalk. And some fight for their "right" to block the sidewalk. I don't ask any more. Code enforcement is paid to get the job done and it is no longer worth the risk of me getting into an altercation with people who have not learned the basics of courtesy.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:34 PM   #31

I had a situation where I parked mine at my baby sisters house for a couple of months, staying in it during the week, and going home on the weekends. The previous owner of the property had an RV pad there already, and it was out in the country. My sister bought the property from a bank foreclosure, and the previous owner moved across the road into a house he had inherited from his parents. He was mad at my sister for buying a property that he didn't pay for but thought was still his. The county inspector left a card in my door one day, so I called him, and he said they got a complaint about that someone was living in the motor home. He said the county had a 90 day limit on staying in an RV, so I would have to move it for two weeks, then I could come back for another 90 days. He was real nice about it, and knew it was just a nusiance complaint. I went ahead and moved it back to home base anyway, but my sister was mad at the neighbor then, and put up a chicken pen on the far corner of her property across from his house. She also has Guineas in the pen and they are very noisy when a car would go by! The land is zoned Agricultural, so there was nothing he could do about it. I don't know how long she is going to punish him!
Hillbilly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:52 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Bus View Post
Maybe that's the real problem.
Invite them over into the motor home for some wine, cheese, crackers and then maybe give them a ride.

Now that's a nice approach!
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:02 PM   #33

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyLeggett View Post
For all the hassles that come with living in a subdivision is why I refuse to ever again live in a place that tries to tell me or anyone, for that matter what we can or can not do on our property.
I keep my MH parked on the side of my driveway, jacks down and shore power hooked up. I live in the country on five acres and 1/4 mile from the highway. No problems. Something I could not do in the city.

+1
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:14 PM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
It would be nice if our neighbors would approach us in a kind manner with the intent of letting us know what we have done that irritates them. However, it's my observation that many people don't know how to communicate without accusing someone or using provocative language that starts the conversation out on the wrong foot.

In addition to that, some folks don't like to have their inconsiderate ways pointed out by a neighbor or anyone else. They have a "you can't tell me what to do" attitude.

Just my observation.

Dave
Old 11-22-2011, 07:18 PM   #35

Many years ago, when I still lived with my parents, there was a nursing home across the street from our house. Visitors to the nursing home parked on the street, and some of them infringed on the driveways. City ordinance said that one couldn't park within five feet of the approach to a driveway. Our neighbor's driveway was only about 10' from ours, and one day someone parked in that 10' spot, overhanging both driveways! We had complained to the nursing home many times about the parking, to no avail. That day I called the police and told them that my car was a 1967 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 Sedan, and I was leaving in 15 minutes. I could get out, but I couldn't guarantee where or in what condition the offending little car would be in. A police car was on the spot in five minutes, wrote the ticket, then went into the nursing home, found the driver of the car, and made her move it.

For the next several years there were no parking problems by our driveway.
easdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:31 PM   #36

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by distaff View Post
When we first moved to this house I had a 69 F100 and and old wagon that I parked in front of the house. In the dead of night a courageous neighbor slipped a note in our mailbox complaining, pointing out that it was an "estate neighborhood". Instead of trading in the wagon I kept it for 3 more years, and eventually did a complete restoration on the truck.

Next, bought my first trailer. Left it in front of the house broken off the hitch while I took the hitch in to be adjusted.

Got home just as the phone rang - it was a bylaw officer calling to tell me he had ticketed my trailer and if I didn't move it in 24 hours they would tow it. I said I would be moving it in an hour, that I had it broken off to get the hitch adjusted. It is a specific offense to have a trailer not attached to a vehicle on a public road. He brightened up and said if I had a receipt he could cancel the ticket. Well I did, but my new neighbor across the street was not so lucky. He had left his on the street while his newly poured concrete pad set. Welcome to the neighborhood, cost him $70.

A few more complaints and I finally figured out who the complainer was. Came home from a couple of months in the south, dragging my new trailer, and saw a for-sale sign on the complainer's lawn, and let out a little cheer.

Then I learned he had died while we were down south. Didn't feel very good about that, but no one on our block has had the city called since then.

I feel bad for the folks that spend their remaining days angry or upset about useless things really. Sad
gauto5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:50 PM   #37

Damon Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gauto5150 View Post
I feel bad for the folks that spend their remaining days angry or upset about useless things really. Sad
Agreed, I would just lift anchor and set sail!!!! I Love The USA!
She and I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:57 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
I live in a neighborhood with a fairly strict HOA. They will send a letter for one or two little weeds in the cracks of the sidewalk. I'm serious, one or two! Cannot work on your car in your driveway. No inoperative cars even in your own driveway more than 24 hours. There is a 48 hour limit on a parked MH. NO BOATS!! Automobiles aren't to be parked on the street (everyone ignores this).

I've a neighbor with a beautiful 43' Tiffin tag axle. I have a 40' Monaco Diplomat. We both ignore the 48 hour rule, sometimes having our MHs for 4-5 days making ready for a trip or "de-tripping." Not surprisingly, I almost always have an accident passing his coach--I can't take my eyes off it!

I've never asked my neighbor, but I always get a letter about 2 days after I've returned the coach to storage.

I use the round filing cabinet to store these letters.
'11 Z-71 4X4 toad
BudtheDiplomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:13 PM   #39

We put a 3rd driveway in alongside the garage when we had the 26' C. It was only 96" wide and fit very nicely, only stuck out the corner of the garage about 5'. Our current rig is 102" and wouldn't fit.

We got regulatory approval from the HOA to prune 10" off the roof overhang so we coud get it in, Their comment was "If you're going to hide it more effectively, go ahead." Didn't mention this rig is 32'6" long, so it sticks out 6' 6" more than the other one!

We try to be considerate, and as soon as we're done with a trip, we put it down the "slot"as far as it will go. The only problem is, we didn't take into account the height and swing of the house door. It hits the gutter and won't open far enough for us to use it.

The owner of the house next door doesn't live in it - actually lives in a small town in Southern Cal and visits from time to time. When I talked to him about it he said "Hell, just pour another 6" wide strip of concrete on my side of the property line - doesn't worry me"! Can't beat having neighbors like that!

Haven't actually done that, but we're thinking of maybe extending the driveway to the back corner of the house (another 20 feet) so the RV will be completely hidden and the RV's house door will open under the gable end of the main house rather than the eaves of the garage.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:10 PM   #40

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have to agree that as one of you suggested, perhaps they were intimidated or whatever and felt the only way to do something was to complain. I do get along with the neighbors, we're friendly I would say; and as I would expect them to show, I try to show respect for them and the areas around my home and neighborhood. I did notice that the lady next door wasn't communicating this summer as she typically did - waving or gesturing hello - after the MH showed up...so we think we know whom - that's a shame. I may next spring offer her to come over and see it - she didn't show any interest in it either after it showed, which I thought was curious -anyway...

As far as this past week, I had no intention of leaving it there for any length of time but since it is legal, I would want to have the ability to park it there and will some times. I don't want to impede on anyone's space or feeling of safety...I truly wish I had a big enough area to put it up beside the house, etc., but I'm on a 1/2 acre and the house is pretty large already - no place to put it. I'm worried it might crack the driveway. I'm in sand and the mud-pumping was already performed in other areas of the drive successfully and the new area was starting to move as I had stated - the 23,000# motor home didn't help I'm certain, but I'm thinking I may park it in the drive next year, at least a day or 2 prior to taking off. Maybe store it at a business nearby in between trips or when working on it. It is handy to have it here when you want to do maintenance or simply sit in it for a short 'vacation'.

It certainly is interesting to read everyone's stories about their expriences, and I appreciate the replies and thoughts!
Old 11-22-2011, 09:31 PM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
We've been pretty lucky. Our small neighborhood of a hundred homes on acre lots has an HOA, CC&R's, and the rule is no motorhomes, boats, commercial vehicles, sheds, etc. We had a bit of a run in some years ago about a pool house I wanted to build. They seemed to think it was gonna be a shed. I don't know why, it was only 30 feet outside the pool fence!

When we brought home the first moho, we had a certified letter from the HOA's lawyer in the mailbox within 48 hours! I brought it up with my friend across the street, he's pres of the HOA, and he knew nothing about it! Turned out the old guy across the other street who used to be on the board called the lawyer directly! But that all blew over. It's been 3 years and 2 moho's, and I do bring the bus home for for pre trip., post trip, maintenance, sometimes for as long as 3 weeks. Never another problem.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:38 PM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I don't get the HOA thing. What benefit is there to buying a home in neighborhood where the board has so much say in what you and cannot do with property you paid for and I assume they charge some type of fee to the home owners.

I am considerate of my neighbors but would not allow any of them to tell me what I can or cannot park in my driveway or for how long.

What am I missing? There must be some benefit that causes people to seek out this type of arrangement.
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote