Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2011, 04:45 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Neighbor doesn't like our motor home...

We live on a quiet street, little traffic, and folks do park on the street - both sides, no restrictions....This summer we parked the mh in the driveway as we were doing work on it since it was 'new' to us and needed stuff, plus we liked simply sitting in it - weird I know -

...anyway, the driveway sunk a bit to one side - not only due to the mh as it was already starting to sink so I had it mud-pumped and it's now back to level - so...

...last week we picked up the mh to take it to storage but had to wait a week so we parked it in front of the house - didn't want to re-sink the driveway...still plenty of room to get by it on the street and again, completely legal -

So on Friday night I got home and the township zoning inspector had left his card on the porch...

We took the mh to storage on Saturday morning however I called him yesterday to see what's up...first thing out of his mouth was 'you're not breaking any laws'...I told him it was gone and that we had had it there for 5 days waiting to take it to storage - he said a neighbor had complained due to our (sarcastically) busy street (he laughed) and said she didn't leave her name but said she almost had an accident...he said a fire truck can get by, there's no problem, it was a courtesy visit...I told him that I expect it will be back next spring and although won't be kept there all the time, will be there...

It was a nice conversation and he dissed the lady a bit for making the complaint...why can't folks simply talk to each other anymore...I am a good neighbor, always take care of the yard, house, etc., but I have a motor home and it's gonna be at my house...

Gotta love nosey neighbors and busy body's that have nothing else to spend their time doing...get over it! I think it's either the lady next door or across the street - both widows...oh well - sorry you got your panties in a bunch...!!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2011, 05:08 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Every neighborhood has at least one. The neighbor who is miserable and has nothing better to do than take it out on everyone else. Ours is across the street. Nothing to do with a motor home but the rest of the neighbors got sick of them and legally got back at them. They were appalled that anyone else could do such a thing, the same kind of thing they had been doing to everyone else for years.

Had your neighbor had the decency to just talk to you about it you could have explained that your rig would only be in the road for a short while and problem solved. Those kind of folks prefer the cowardly way to do things though.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:41 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
FirstPoet,

I had the same thing happen to us a couple of years ago. A cop left his card on my windshield. When I called he took the same position as your guy and said he was an rv'er as well. The reason people won't actually talk to you is pretty simple. They are requesting you do something that you don't want to do...and there could be some resentment and ill feeling between you- not to mention the possibility of an argument. Not that there is some ill feeling already, it's just that you've taken the personal side out of it. Sad but true.
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:50 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Well consider yourself lucky !
Back in mid August I had a uniformed police officer ring my door bell at 300 PM . he was there to inform me that I had to remove the MH from my driveway by the end of the night or face a ticket/violation with a $150.00 fine!!!! ( In my community you can only keep your MH in your driveway for 48 hours max and then it must be moved. You then have to wait 7 days before you can park it back in the driveway and the 48 hour time frame begins again)

So I had to drive the MH 36 miles to my parents house and leave it here until I could find long term storage which I did one week later.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:54 AM   #5

HD4Mark is right, every neighborhood has one...or two for that matter.
I'm new to the RV world since I just got mine in May of this year. And we love it too, so much that I'm in process of getting a bigger diesel pusher.
The lunatic that calls the town on everyone just lives 2 doors down and across the street. This kook called on the box van I used to move in 11 years ago. It was a van that I owned and it was parked in front of the house for 3 days until I took it back to my shop. Common sense didn't stop her, she called and the cop that showed up was kind of embarrassed to even knock on the door.
We live in the last house on the end of a cul-de-sac, we don't have traffic unless it's us. Since my 37 foot motorhome probably really freaks her out, I generally only keep it late week and weekends. The code enforcer (yes a real job) usually doesn't respond until 24 hours after a call. So by Monday he's got nothing to look at.
However, this woman is married, with a couple of older kids that still live at home and in school. Maybe it's a power thing or something....
gauto5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:03 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Some people just aren't happy unless they're making someone else unhappy, or trying to do so. Karma usually catches up with people like that.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:05 AM   #7

I would suspect some of it comes from jealousy.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:24 AM   #8

Ya know diesel fuel will kill grass, and bleach is really bad for shrubs...
Old 11-22-2011, 06:27 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Since my MH won't fit in the driveway it sits in the street in front of the house. I do watch out as to how long I let it sit there out of the courteousy for our neighbors, because it causes a problem for all of us as to backing out of our driveways.
I've often stopped both neighbors and ask them in regards if the MH was bothering them sitting there and to let me know, they don't say a word because they know I do my best to keep it away when not used or being serviced.
My town as a winter ordinance that says MH's must be off the street between mid October and mid April and that's never been a problem either, all we do is call the township and tell them we're getting ready for a trip and it's no problem.
But,,,but we do have one nosey neighbor that keeps a very close eye on it! but has never said a word.
RovinOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:27 AM   #10
paz

Firstpoet, the unfortunate thing is your neighbor probably thinks her complaint was what made you move the motorhome, so she will probably call the municipality again when you bring the motorhome back in the spring.

We were very fortunate to have understanding neighbors when we had a stick house. I built a parking pad for our TT at the end of the driveway, and no one ever complained. I thought we might have a problem when we sold the 26' TT and bought a 37' motorhome, but the neighbors were actually excited about it and the ones on both sides of us came over and wanted a tour. Now that we're full-timers, all our neighbors have RVs, too, so we never have to worry. And if we get a neighbor we don't like, we can raise the jacks and move.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:36 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to JimmyLeggett
For all the hassles that come with living in a subdivision is why I refuse to ever again live in a place that tries to tell me or anyone, for that matter what we can or can not do on our property.
I keep my MH parked on the side of my driveway, jacks down and shore power hooked up. I live in the country on five acres and 1/4 mile from the highway. No problems. Something I could not do in the city.
JimmyLeggett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:44 AM   #12

I feel sorry for you and the other posters are correct; there's always one in the neighborhood! I'm glad I live in the woods with few restrictions.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 06:55 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firstpoet
... I think it's either the lady next door or across the street - both widows...oh well - sorry you got your panties in a bunch...!!!
Maybe that's the real problem.
Invite them over into the motor home for some wine, cheese, crackers and then maybe give them a ride.
Magic Bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:11 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
We picked up our MH about a month ago. It was night when I got home with it and since it is our first MH and since I never backed it up I wasn't the best at doing so.
So when I tried to back it into the driveway (like I would with my truck) I wound up half on my neighbors lawn. After a little maneuvering I had it straight in the driveway. When I stepped out there was my neighbor and his wife, I was expecting him to start complaining but all he did was say congratulations and then wanted to see the inside.
zip0 is offline   Reply With Quote