Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2014, 06:50 PM   #43

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musikboy View Post
I need a little advice........I would love to hear your input, what do you think?
Tell him that he'd better sell fast because he's going to lose even more money when you put it up on cinder blocks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2014, 06:50 PM   #44

Newmar Owners Club
Jack N Jill know it's a bad request. They sent you an email instead of talking to you face to face. I would not acknowledge the email. Let them come to you, which apparently they will not do. I agree with the others, absolutely do not assist them in hiding the fact that your rv will be parked on your property.
Brigadoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:31 PM   #45

I'd get them to do a three year deal with you. You will eventually want to park off site so get them to pay for off site for you for three years and tell them you will move it everytime their house is shown....or at least cover winter storage. You have leverage - use it to your benefit.
DA_BUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:33 PM   #46

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tell them to stuff it. People like that really tee me off.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:45 PM   #47

You could answer them by going & finding a piece of crap TT that belongs at a salvage yard & put it on their side of your property.
HuntingHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:17 PM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would offer to take the paid off site parking and SPLIT THE $20K dollars 50/50.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 10:39 PM   #49

Monaco Owners Club
Really want to get Jack & Jill going? Get 2 or 3 old clunkers, scatter them around your property, take the wheels off and put them on blocks then let the weeds go. Wonder what they would have to say about your coach then! lol.
mdpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 11:29 PM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I lived in an upscale subdivision. The HOA had a say as to what color you could paint your house and you could only have cedar shake roofs. They had a 24 hour rv parking policy. After 24 hours you had to have it out of there. Many folks got away with it but somehow I had a ticket from the HOA. I told them I would never pay it (and I never did). I listed the house, sold it for the highest price for our model to date and moved to the country. We are zoned agricultural and nobody can say anything. They have tried. Tried to tell me I couldn't park the motorhome near the property line, tried to tell me I couldn't hunt, couldn't target shoot and couldn't ride motorcycles on my property. After 20 or so calls to the police, the police told the neighbor he would arrest them if they made one more frivolous call. I guess he was done explaining to them that I was well within my rights in all cases. Problem solved. I now park my motorhome and trailer 6 inches from the property line where they have a nice view of it outside their kitchen and bedroom window. All their friends can marvel at it as well when they come over and see it from their deck as they try to get a glimpse of the magnificent valley behind it. I have 5 acres I could park it on but he was so concerned about my MH that I figured he'd want to see it in all its glory every morning!
Old 04-22-2014, 11:45 PM   #51

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm sorry, but I tend to agree with the realtor. Some big old RV sitting in the yard would not be good for the sales value.

The real question is your own concern for your neighborhood. Picture your street with a motorhome here, a car up on blocks there, a boat in this driveway, 5 cars in that driveway, etc. It doesn't add up to an attractive neighborhood.

Even when we have ours at home, we feel a bit guilty. We keep the time minimal and get it back to the shed a.s.a.p.
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:44 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg-1 View Post
A small sign. billy goats for sale will do the trick !!
I love this idea
jquinlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:27 AM   #53

Why would a $300,000 MotorHome sitting within sight of a house for sale reduce the house's value? I suspect that realtor is lazy.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:39 AM   #54

Why do anything?

If it's legal, just forgetabout it. Say Yeah. yeah, yeah and do what you've been doing.

The only thing my ex has said to me in the last 16 years is, "Mickey, don't hang up."
Old 04-23-2014, 05:54 AM   #55

Thor Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
All good suggestions, thank you all. After reading everyone's thoughts and doing some additional research on property lines and city covenants, it appears that I am perfectly legal on every level.

The problem is I sympathize with these folks. Only one of you thought the realtor might be correct, that a MH in plain sight would reduce the sales appeal of a nearby home home on the market.

I will call a realtor and a sales agent myself and ask. I don't want to park off site, we didn't buy it to store in a yard. Someone else said that our insurance rates are subject to where it's parked. That's true, if you are parking it at the same address as your home, your rates are lower, for obvious reasons.

I asked my paving contractor what it would cost to build a pad on the other side of the house. That side is about 6 feet lower than the road. It will be expensive, it will require a lot of fill, the whole property would have to be leveled on that side. My guess would be that it's a minimum of $10K to get that work done and I think it's likely to be more. Obviously, I requested a written quote and will hand that to my neighbors as an option they can choose if they want to rid themselves of the sight of my MH.

I have been here for 10 years, I really like and get along with all my neighbors. They have two loud barking dogs that are always making a ruckus, I never once complained. We are all people with interests, families, animals and property. I am quite tolerant because thats how good neighbors behave, in my opinion. As long as the dogs don't poop in my yard or stand outside my bedroom window at 4:00 am barking, I am OK with that too.

It makes me sad (yes, I know GET OVER IT) to know that my MH will hurt them. They are moving because they have not had work in a while and can't afford their mortgage anymore.

Yet.... I am not ready to move myself, we love our house and I am not interested in remote parking. DW and I have decided to follow through with our plans to park on our property. In 5 years we are planning to downsize the house anyway and ideally we will stick with this plan. Then, in 5 years, we will look for a home with MH parking and maybe a MH garage (fantasy) so we can keep our baby out of these east coast winters.

This whole dilemma is just 24 hours old so I am not sure what happens next. If there's lawyers involved, I am perfectly capable of hiring my own.

I'll keep you posted as the drama plays itself out......
Musikboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:31 AM   #56
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds like you have a very good take on it.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote