Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2020, 07:01 AM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.

You are joining a good group of folks here with good info to share. Read the various threads here and ask questions as they come up or add info if you can.

I would have an independent inspection done (one you pay for). Your are more than likely to have more problems with the coach "systems" than the engine.

Good luck and enjoy the adventure!
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2020, 08:04 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
The engine had a cracked manifold when I bought it. I repaired it right away. About two years later, the lift pump went, and took the vp44 main injection pump with it. The rv had 50,000 kms on it when I bought it. I hadn't heard about the vp44 getting ruined due to the lift pump. If I had, I would have changed the lift pump to the FASS system, which I did. I only learned of the reputation these vp44 pumps had after the fact. Luckily, one my good friends is a 45 year diesel mechanic, so the barter system works good for trading services. I put 10k kms trouble free on an east coast trip last summer. Im glad I shelled out for the maintenance items before I left. The rad looked fine until we pulled it out to clean it. Once that was out, might as well change everything behind it. Age has a lot to do with things like hoses and belts. The rad was dirty, but looked ok until we tried to clean it. DPs thousand dollar you to death, but there is no better way to travel. I had a v10 gas one for five years before this rv. I never put a nickel in it. I put 20kms on it in five years.
I hear ya on the cost of owning and running a DP. Lots of power and a great ride but you pay the price. At least your vp44 fuel pump is less costly than the CAPS fuel pump on my ISL. I'd like to run a FASS to feed it but can't convince my wife yet to shell out the cash.
irishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 09:00 AM   #17

1999 triple e empress
freightliner pusher chassis
3126 cat 320hp 80,000miles
Allison 5spd
brobanana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 09:05 AM   #18

1999 Triple E Empress
freightliner chassis air suspension
3126 cat 320 hp
5spd Allison
80,000 miles
Old 02-25-2020, 10:19 AM   #19

Not familiar with the builder, but the coach looks to be well looked after and most of the mileage was trips to Arizona from Florida.

As you can see from my signature, I am not apprehensive about 20 year old DP's.

Annual service and annual DOT inspections say a lot about the history of the coach.

I would go for a test drive and if you like it, have the 3rd party inspection and a fluid analysis on the engine oil and transmission.

A generator is not shown on the listing. If it does not have a genny or has a propane genny that would be a deal killer for me.

Good luck!
Old 02-25-2020, 10:57 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishguy View Post
I hear ya on the cost of owning and running a DP. Lots of power and a great ride but you pay the price. At least your vp44 fuel pump is less costly than the CAPS fuel pump on my ISL. I'd like to run a FASS to feed it but can't convince my wife yet to shell out the cash.
The vp44 cost $3000 Cdn alone. I wouldn't call that cheap really. lol Im going to guess the cracked manifold was due to the previous owner not allowing the engine to cool properly before shutting it down.
Old 02-25-2020, 11:02 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerBoater View Post
Interesting that folks are weighing in without knowing what chassis and what coach builder and model the OP is considering.

Without this information I cannot fathom giving any advice other than the HEUI pump augmentation is a really smart move and 80K on the clock indicates a barely broken in engine.
I think the fact that it is 20 years old tells me all I need to know. Many of the things I changed were just due to age. That doesn't matter what kind of coach it is. I was just trying to point out that low miles doesn't mean it doesn't need anything. Time ages rubber. Time rusts steel. Time is the enemy. If planning on a trans continental trip, you might want to change some of the 20 year old items before they grind you to a halt somewhere a long way from home. The OP asked if he should be worried. To say nothing could possibly go wrong with a 20 year old rv is not realistic. I have one as well. It had 30k miles on it when I bought it.
Old 02-25-2020, 01:04 PM   #22

The Triple E Empress is a Canadian manufactured Class A. They've been in business for over 50 years. Are considered to be very well built and specially designed to handle Canadian weather. That model would have been fairly high end in its day. At $20,000 it seems like not a bad price. Does it have a generator?
irishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 01:45 PM   #23

Broken exhaust manifold suggests he was shutting down a hot engine without letting it cool off at idle.
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 01:59 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xmcdog View Post
Broken exhaust manifold suggests he was shutting down a hot engine without letting it cool off at idle.
I agree. That is why I never shut mine down for about five minutes after coming off the highway. The turbo needs time to cool as well. I do the same with heavy equipment with turbos. Note: I don't drive them on the highway, but the same rules apply. lol
Old 02-25-2020, 02:57 PM   #25

The 3-5 minute cool-down period is to allow the turbocharger to shed heat, so it will not bake the oil (coke) in the bearings.

The early Cummins ISC is well-known for cracked exhaust manifolds. It had noting to do with a cool down. The weight of the turbo and associated piping rests entirely on the manifold. Cummins re-designed it some years later.

This MH and CAT engine sounds like a sound purchase to me.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 05:13 AM   #26

Thank you to everyone who weighed in - you pretty much convinced me go for the coach just watched the older items - my 1st order of the day is going to replace all hoses belts and other such items bumper to bumper or that 20 years old could fail on the road

Tags
starter