Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2020, 06:38 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Nevada Class B license ( RV license)

I will be taking the driving test in a few weeks and I was wondering if anyone out there took it and how difficult was it?
jrj89134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2020, 07:30 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrj89134 View Post
I will be taking the driving test in a few weeks and I was wondering if anyone out there took it and how difficult was it?
You might get more responses, if you posted this question to a more general forum.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:19 PM   #3

I took it in Carson City end of Feb beginning of March before covid hit. Watch out for all the detail in the pre-trip inspection. If you fail that as I did the first time you will not get to drive. Practice the outside stuff and inside stuff until you have it down.
Old 11-21-2020, 10:44 PM   #4

Took the test in Carson city also a few years ago. They didn’t hassle me for driving it myself to the dmv. First study the official Nevada hand book not a generic hand book or you will likely fail the written test all the answers are in the hand book second for the walk around do it in the order of the handbook look at the wipers say they are good measure the tread in the tires say the tires are good and the rims aren’t bent check the oil and trans fluid say the belts are good and the power steering pump and alternator are not loose. Tell her there isn’t any air blowing out from underneath etc. check the lights lenses . if you don’t do this BS you will fail trust me. Then you go inside check the horn ,head and tail lights directional and wipers. Last do the air brake leak down test . After all this you will be backing up and moving between cones if you manage to get this far you will be driving on the road for about 5 miles use your directional signals well ahead of turning. Again you must study the official Nevada hand book and all testing is in the order that is in the book I learned the hard way before I knew what how they operated so I wound up making a number of trips to the dmv they don’t tell you how they operate ahead of time even though it seems asinine just do what you read in the hand book and it will be easy. In the end I had a real bitch that tried to make me feel inferior because I wore hearing aids and probably because I was in my late 70’s.
Old 11-22-2020, 12:30 AM   #5

Since it appears that you're in Clark county, you probably are planning on taking the tests at the North Las Vegas DMV for CDL? ...it used to be that you were required to take the non-commercial license test at the CDL testing offices (Carson City, Elko, Reno, Winnemucca, and North LV --they did away with the one in Tonopah several years ago which was the one I encouraged RVers to use as it was less busy, easy to access, and usually had good testing personnel).

At North LV it seems like it depends on who you get as the examiner so it apparently varies. We never had to take the test in Nevada when we became residents as we had CDLs from another state but we kept in touch with many RVers who did take the tests ...but this was over a decade ago when we were paying more attention.

Roy1 gives good advice in studying the official state study guide. I'm assuming you already have it but if not, I'll attach it below. It's from 2012 but still current as it's still posted on the state's DMV website.

One thing you'll most likely be asked to demonstrate during the road test is the air brake governor that is a standard CDL test on air-brake equipped vehicles (or as Roy1 describes as "the leak down test"). This is described on page 56 and there are dozens of videos illustrating it online for trucks, buses, motorhomes, etc. --1) the full application one-minute test, 2) fanning off air making the low-air warning buzzer activate at around 60 psi, and 3) continuing fanning off air until the parking brake knob pops out at about 35-40 psi.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Nevada Non-Commercial Class A and B Study Guide.pdf (833.7 KB, 44 views)
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 03:19 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks for the info. I assumed it would be that. Did you have to actually do all of the items or just talk about how you would ie check the oil,tire pressure etc?
Old 11-23-2020, 03:20 PM   #7

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks I took my written test there and will do the drive test next week.
Old 11-23-2020, 11:36 PM   #8

Go through the process if the tester is satisfied you know the ropes they will let you know as you attempt to do it.

Tags
ada, class b