Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2017, 12:14 AM   #1

Nevada pre trip test

I passed the written test 2weeks ago . Today I went for the pre trip ,skills and road tests.i checked the tire pressure,tread depth, oil,trans power steering fluid,radiator,lights,break pressure,etc. the tech told me I failed because I didn't do it in the correct order and I didn't tell her the valve tire cores weren't loose, didn't say the tires weren't bulging, the rims weren't cracked ,didn't mention I didn't hear air leaking (it wasn't) didn't say the alternator was connected ok, didn't tell the location of the air pump and power steering pump and the condition of their brackets? They are gear driven on the motor? Wiring and break lines are good? And the list goes on. What ever happened to common sense. I'm not sure I can do what she wants from memory I have to go back in two weeks if this is a repeat I guess I will have to forget it and take my chances If I have a similar testing I haven't gotten stopped in the past 40 years of Motorhome ownership to me this is a form of harassment. She said I can't bring a check list to aid doing the test has anyone been allowed to use a check list so they could do all in the correct order?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2017, 04:59 AM   #2

what was this test for?
Old 11-23-2017, 07:07 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy1 View Post
the tech told me I failed
Yeah I'd like to know too what test this was that you failed?
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 09:45 AM   #4

Class b non commercial. Unfortunately Nevada is one of the few states here in the west that requires a 32 ft Motorhome over 27000 lb GVW to need this attachment to my license. Most folks I know don't think it is worth the hassle so they shine it on. Even California doesn't require it on a 32 ft rig. I am trying to comply but they seem to have some nutty ways of making a guy jump thru hoops to please them. What does a possible loose valve stem or how a power steering pump is mounted on a Diesel engine have to do with a driving test?
Old 11-23-2017, 01:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy1 View Post
Class b non commercial. Unfortunately Nevada is one of the few states here in the west that requires a 32 ft Motorhome over 27000 lb GVW to need this attachment to my license. Most folks I know don't think it is worth the hassle so they shine it on. Even California doesn't require it on a 32 ft rig. I am trying to comply but they seem to have some nutty ways of making a guy jump thru hoops to please them. What does a possible loose valve stem or how a power steering pump is mounted on a Diesel engine have to do with a driving test?
it sure shouldn't. are you certain the examiner knows this was for a non-commercial class B?
Old 11-23-2017, 02:15 PM   #6

Minnesota doesn’t require a test.

I taught CDL for 3 years and taught it to be done with no cheat sheet...however a cheat sheet is permissible.
FlatsixV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:34 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I live in NV and I took my non commercial class B test in Carson City. I didn't have anywhere near the questions you had.

I think it's probably a personal thing with your inspector. I see you're in Minden. It might be easier for you if you took the test in Carson City.

I also would recommend you get one just in case you're ever involved in an accident.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatsixV2 View Post
Minnesota doesn’t require a test.

I taught CDL for 3 years and taught it to be done with no cheat sheet...however a cheat sheet is permissible.
can't imagine why a checklist would not be permissable. i'm a GA pilot and have checklists for every facet of flight including the pre-flight. the point should be to demonstrate knowledge and thoroughness not memory skills.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 04:24 PM   #9

I took several people up to Tonopah and let them use my rig when they had a testing station there (no longer do CDL and related tests there now, however) and they encountered nowhere close to the detail that you described ...but this was nearly ten years ago.

I agree that it could be just that particular testing officer that is so particular. If you're in Minden, I also agree with BobGed that it may be a good idea to switch testing stations and go to Carson City. I'm assuming you went to the one in Sparks? I also agree with Bob that you really do want to get it ...it's more about liability issues should you ever be involved in an accident and less about getting a citation should you get pulled over for something.

I know of a person who took the test in Winnemucca a few years ago and she said that it was a breeze. It may be worth to consider going there too.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 12:00 AM   #10

I took the test in carson city ,sparks is another 45 minutes away and winnemucca is way further away. I would hope these folks would want to allow a guy that was trying to comply with the law pass a simple test if the vehicle was in proper compliance. I'll try calling the DMV in carson city and ask if I can bring a check list that is in the proper order but if I get the same person I'm sure it won't fly. Next time I will be sure to check the valve stems, alternator and steering box mounting etc.trust me I didn't say or do anything to ruffle any feathers the DMV is not a fun place to spend a day I have already spent way to much time there the past couple of weeks.
Old 11-26-2017, 12:55 AM   #11

Roy,

Please keep us updated on this process. I need to get the same endorsement and would not want to go through what you did. Sounds like she thought you wanted a CDL but why would she let you take the test in the RV

Also in Minden and would take the test in Carson City.
STLNLUV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 06:30 PM   #12

Got my Class B non-comm in Elko, NV......Although thorough, it was all business and relative to the MH.....No BS questions on systems that were not pertinent.......Had to back through cones on a 90 degree turn, backup for about 100' straight line, etc..then road test about 20 mins through town.......All together about an hour and a half total, oral and driving.......

I drove away glad I did it and thought the overall testing was appropriate.....

All depends on the DMV office you take it....
sd1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 07:36 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I took my non commercial class B test in Las Vegas and had some of the same issues the OP mentioned, but my instructor gave me a couple of helpful hints and I was able to figure out his hints and passed the walk around oral test with no or minimal issues (luckily).

I drove my wife in the next day to take her test and although I shared all the items my tester quizzed me on, she did not pass on her test, but she had a different tester. She is a better driver than I am by far but not quite as comfortable with the mechanics of our Class A diesel pusher.

We were leaving in two days and so she mentioned she would do her retest in Elko Nevada as we were going to visit our daughter there for a week. The tester told her that since she took and passed the written in Las Vegas she had to take the driving test at the same location.

Bummer, that was 3 years ago, my wife has driven probably 20,000 miles and I have maybe got in 500 miles but she will probably never go back to retest. It is a real issue getting that non commercial class B license as it is not a very common test and so the government employees just are not up on how to do it but they have all the power which puts a regular civilian in a tough spot.

Good Luck in your retest , it is definitely a great feeling to have the license but it isn't a real practical test (in my opinion) of the skills needed.

Bob & Pearl
2007 Monaco Camelot 42' PDQ
JRPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 08:20 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
I bought a diesel that with a GVW of 25750. I hope I got that right. Anyway I read Nevada law but called Carson City anyway and ask about the class B. It is required for ANY rv over 26000 lbs. When I went to get it registered in Pahrump , they told me because I had air brakes I needed the class B endorsement. Not true, 26001 lbs that requires class b.
Bangorbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ada, test