RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2017, 01:24 PM   #15

I live in Tampa. The house here is a small single story block home with a low pitched roof. It's been here since 1954, so it has certainly seen its share of storms. I wouldn't be afraid to ride out a storm here but for three huge live oak trees right beside the house in the neighbors yard. Two people would have a hard time reaching around any of them. They are about 7 feet from my house. If any one of them comes down, nothing will save the house, or us if we are in it. Even if it falls towards the neighbor's house, the root ball is going to rip the side off my house.

The local TV news channel had an online interactive tracking map which you could zoom in on. The track for Irma at 5PM Friday literally came right through my house. I don't mean "through my neighborhood," I mean through the house. And at that time, it was slated to likely be a Cat 3 storm when it came through here. We left for my Mom's in North Carolina early Saturday morning.

As is often the case, the storm's final path move in a way favorable to use, and while a huge tree fork on a tree at the back of lot came down, that was about it. We had power back Wednesday night, so we were very lucky. Despite all that, I will never say, "I'm never leaving again." Show me an official map with the track coming right through the house for a Cat 3 or higher two days before it is due to hit, and I'm gone again, and hoping for the same results.

Maybe, since you have the motorhome, and are mobile, just leave even earlier than you may have to. That way, there's a lot less stress. Plan a trip somewhere away from the path of the storm, and come back at a more leisurely pace. That wouldn't have avoided any of the mechanical issues you encountered, but if you had built in a slower pace for yourself, it might have been a lot less stressful.
bjohnmasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2017, 01:49 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
Are they goodyear tires ?
He already told us in his initial post what tires he had.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 01:57 PM   #17

I think whenever you have a tire problem and want the manufacturer to provide some relief they are going to want the failed tire in return. Just common sense. If you dispose of it before hand I wouldn't expect much out of them.
Nashville, TN or Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 02:07 PM   #18

I would say if your tires are under 10 years of age how old they are really has little to do with the chances of having one blow. I figured out in my 20's when I lived in the Midwest that if your town has a tornado warning siren it's probably not a good idea to live there. I'd say it would be the same if you live in a place constantly plagued by hurricanes.
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 02:41 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My sister and I have a condo on Marco Island--a direct hit! Fortunately I was in Montana for Irma. Our unit on the top (6th floor) did ok--we lost our storm shutters on the Lani which protected the triple glass sliders. While they didn't break they are very frosted now from the wind driven sand and will need to be replaced. Also water got under them and warped the laminate floors. We were planning on remodeling this year anyway. As I said we did ok but many units didn't fair as well. Some lost their windows on both sides of their condos and the wind came in and took lots of interior things out the back with it. Our complex is about 240 units, 6 connected buildings along the Marco river. To look at the water side where the balcony's are you might think a the building had been bombed. On the parking lot side some of the walkway cement railing walls fell off. About 20 people stayed and all said never, never again! This coming season there will be a lot of noise from repairs going on--something that usually isn't allowed from Oct 1 to Apr 30.
I'll be leaving MT on Oct 1st making my way back to FL but I'll take my time and arrive after Nov 1 when the windy season is due to end. I can understand the frustration with MH repairs--I have replace two ac's in the past 6 months and had to have my steps repaired only 9 months after the step recall was done. Also while here in MT, rabbits got under my toad hood and did about $300 damage to wiring. All you can do it take it in stride.
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:51 PM   #20

I wonder if the OP had those problems while going to visit Grandma if he would have started a thread titled "Never Visit Grandma Again"?
Nashville, TN or Titusville, FL when not on the road
hohenwald48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:28 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
I wonder if the OP had those problems while going to visit Grandma if he would have started a thread titled "Never Visit Grandma Again"?
Tetonchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 09:01 PM   #22

I have to think evacuation beats being found dead in an upside down smashed motor home.

The storm petered out so damage was minimal for most folks. I think that gives folks a false sense of security.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:44 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
No codes on the generator, Just stopped running after running 48 hours flawlessly only stopped to check oil each morning. then after setting 2 days on shore power I hit the start button inside and wow it ran, again flawlessly for 2 hours. and dead again then could not be started the rest of the trip. then today after being back a week it fired right up again? Really! I am still going to replace the filter, change the oil again and try once more. then if it stops again proceed to replace the pump.
millred1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 04:38 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
I have to think evacuation beats being found dead in an upside down smashed motor home.

The storm petered out so damage was minimal for most folks. I think that gives folks a false sense of security.
X2
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:47 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
You can't blame that on evacuating. You would have had the same problems if you had just taken a trip. Bad decision not to evacuate when a CAT 5 is forecast.
alpha99 is offline   Reply With Quote