Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2019, 08:56 AM   #15

Spending the night in breakdown mode is the consequence of not carrying a spare tire. Any mobile tire repair service could have changed the tire if the RV had it's own spare or spares onboard. Unfortunately it takes a experience like this to hopefully become better prepared next time.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2019, 09:58 AM   #16

Our tires would be hard to find if we had a blowout. We have 365/70R/22.5 on the steer and tag axles, 315/80R/22.5's on the drive axle.

I just had new tires put on where the oldest were the tag tires dated late 2013 and the others dated early 2014. We have a built-in TPMS which helps me keep an eye on the tires. There is also a warning in the instrument cluster that would notify me of immediate tire pressure loss.

I will not carry such large tires in the bay. If I did, it would be a 365 as that's the harder tire to find.

And yes, it would be a stressful day if a blowout happens but it is what it is and we would deal with it the best we could.

Safe travels and glad the OP had a safe outcome!

Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 10:08 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by alounsbe View Post
We had a blowout this morning called AAA no real help there could not find any truck places open Sunday you know so we were able to limp to the next exit pulled into an abandoned gas station and will start calling around tomorrow morning sometimes you just can't win.

Where are you located?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 12:20 PM   #18
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I use to advocate carrying a spare in my 2005 Monaco Diplomat. On that coach, it used a short 22.5 tire and it fit in my pass thru bay, unmounted. I could stuff a lot inside the tire and didn't loose much storage. Fast forward to my current RV and the 315's won't fit in a bay.

So......a lot of people say to just carry a spare, including a trailer owner with a rear mounted spare. It's nice to say and actually nice to carry a spare if you have room, but if you don't have the space, you need another plan. That plan is to have a roadside service plan and be willing to accept an odd sized or used tire to get you back on the road. Wait until you're in a major town on a week day to resolve the issue with a new or correct size.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 06:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
Spending the night in breakdown mode is the consequence of not carrying a spare tire. Any mobile tire repair service could have changed the tire if the RV had it's own spare or spares onboard. Unfortunately it takes a experience like this to hopefully become better prepared next time.
I agree but there are some of us that don't have a room for a spare. even though I have two here at the house. doesn't mean I am unprepared. just that it is the risk I have to deal with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I use to advocate carrying a spare in my 2005 Monaco Diplomat. On that coach, it used a short 22.5 tire and it fit in my pass thru bay, unmounted. I could stuff a lot inside the tire and didn't loose much storage. Fast forward to my current RV and the 315's won't fit in a bay.

So......a lot of people say to just carry a spare, including a trailer owner with a rear mounted spare. It's nice to say and actually nice to carry a spare if you have room, but if you don't have the space, you need another plan. That plan is to have a roadside service plan and be willing to accept an odd sized or used tire to get you back on the road. Wait until you're in a major town on a week day to resolve the issue with a new or correct size.
yes, I carry spares for my car hauler, dolly or any other smallish tires I have room for.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:55 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
It's nice to say and actually nice to carry a spare if you have room, but if you don't have the space, you need another plan. That plan is to have a roadside service plan and be willing to accept an odd sized or used tire to get you back on the road. Wait until you're in a major town on a week day to resolve the issue with a new or correct size.
Yep, this is a realistic answer and especially for most FTers.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:00 PM   #21

Question.To those who carry a spare tire for the MH, do you replace the spare on the same schedule as tires on the ground? According to the NHTSB and NHTSA ,it is recommended as it too ages-out. https://www.ntsb.gov/news/events/Doc...el_4b_Kane.pdf

https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.do...se2evallab.pdf
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 03:51 AM   #22
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Ray, when I carried the spare in my Diplomat, I wrapped it in saran wrap and then used a roll of masking tape around it. It was stowed in total darkness. I felt the tire wasn't exposed to what typically "times" out a tire. As the law of averages would have it, I never needed it.

If I had a non tag coach, I would probably worry more about carrying a spare. Since my coach has a tag, I can always move one of the tag tires to a more critical position and put just about any 22.5 on my tag to get me back on the road and to a tire store.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 03:58 AM   #23

I have roadside assistance, but any time I've ever called them it's always "at least two hours" - so I've never waited for them. I carry a spare, plus the tools to change it.

Twice I've had evidently run over screws and had flats while in an RV park and I have used them then...no hurry to get off the side of the road in that instance. However - both times they were not equipped and wound up using my equipment to change the tire. One time they had a heavy-duty wrecker they wanted to "left" my fifth wheel with while they changed the tire.

I'll be 70 years old next week, but still fully capable of changing a tire and I'd rather do that than sit on the side of the road two hours and then hope the people they send are even competent to do the job.
RJShiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:49 AM   #24

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
When we broke down we were 3 miles from the next exit so we drove the 3 miles never going above 45 and I checked the tire temp when we stopped and it was not hot, we got a new tire installed Monday morning and made it to our camp site that afternoon, our plans are to replace all of the rear tires when we get back home the fronts are only one year old.
alounsbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:02 AM   #25

Feel your pain. I had three tire failures in one day. Yes, it was a Sunday. I did have a spare, actually went through four tires in one day as one inside dual had a bulge in it that was found when the outside one failed.

Never want a repeat. Oh yeah, the tires were only five years old and looked great. Fortunately, they were 16" LT tires. That is probably why they failed. Should never have been on a motorhome. Talk about a bunch of confused Good Sam people that day. Kept saying we already dispatched someone. Well, send another someone!
Old 10-08-2019, 05:53 PM   #26
NXR

Quote:
When we broke down we were 3 miles from the next exit so we drove the 3 miles never going above 45 and I checked the tire temp when we stopped and it was not hot, we got a new tire installed Monday morning and made it to our camp site that afternoon, our plans are to replace all of the rear tires when we get back home the fronts are only one year old.
Glad it all worked out OK. Hopefully if I ever have this problem it also will go as smoothly.

Ray
Old 10-09-2019, 06:59 AM   #27

Quote:

Glad it wasn't a front tire!
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:35 AM   #28
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
We all can't carry a spare. You are fortunate that you have a pick-up truck and a trailer that all have small tires. You can throw the spares in the back of the truck and still hook up your trailer.

My MH has 295/80R22.5 for the front and 275/80R22.5 for the rears.

I can pick up the tire without a rim, with some difficulty, but no way with the tire on a rim. Those tires are quite large and really not manageable without the proper tools, like a large breaker bar to wedge under the tire and lift it on to the hub, not least to say a jack capable of lifting the rear. (Yes, I know the MH levelers can lift the MH off the tires but that is a dangerous situation in my opinion.)

Another deterrent for many of us travelers is our age. Fifty years ago I could have easily manhandled my tires - not so today.

And as other's have stated, they take up a lot of room especially with two different sizes. So what does one give up for the space - Grill?

p.s., don't forget the 400+psi required on the lug nuts of a motorhome.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote