Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2019, 09:02 AM   #43

Freightliner Owners Club
Drive like ALL the other drivers are out to get you. Just never give them the opportunity.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2019, 08:04 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
You pulled out in front of him, because he had a blinking light on.
That's not his fault, that signal may have been on before you saw him. Judging from your account, he was moving much to fast to make the turn where you assumed he would.

Unless his car/truck is visually slowing down and he is waving you on, you have no right to pull out in front of him.

Then you fault him for crossing into the oncoming lane and not plowing into the side of your rig ?
Your just lucky he was a better driver, that had some situational awareness, to see that he could take evasive action.

Never trust a small blinking light, it means nothing.
Twinboat has it right and said it a lot nicer than I could. It's certainly not good to drive down a "four lane highway " then signal forty feet before your turn. Here driver 1 pulls out in front of driver 2 then faults driver 2 for being capable and avoiding driver 1 and not crashing into him. A case of not accepting responsibility for what could have been an extremely bad, perhaps fatal accident.
Rob Mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:10 PM   #45

Quote:
Never trust a small blinking light, it means nothing.

It means something, just never assume you know exactly what it signals. In the OPs case, it was right, just not what the OP assumed it signaled. Many times it signals that the driver cannot see the green light on his dash blinking away.
Old 06-14-2019, 04:42 PM   #46

Ride a motorcycle and you quickly learn to trust no one.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:16 PM   #47

A blinking light means that the light works--sometimes! Nothing else.

In my case, I am often a bad driver; I don't want to be, but that's how it works out. Specifically, I don't hear at all well. I cannot hear those click, click sounds from the turn signals, so I may drive for a long time with a blinker on. My car, a GM model, has a warning bong that I can sometimes hear, but it doesn't even start for 3/4 of a mile; that's a loooong time in urban traffic.

I agree with most of the posters here; never trust another drivers intentions.

JMHO
Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:38 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by V3600 View Post
Ride a motorcycle and you quickly learn to trust no one.
No kidding. I've got a horn that will make people wet themselves.......
Oregon RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:57 PM   #49

Forest River Owners Club
Never trust anyone

My favorite saying.... Watch out for the guy in front of the guy behind you.
dunk05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 03:30 PM   #50

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Other Driver Expectations Sometimes Are Illogical

So, I'm driving my DP in the right lane of Route 295 north of Atlanta. It's early afternoon on a clear day. I'm sitting on 55 MPH. There is traffic to my left, and an entrance ramp on my right with a short acceleration lane. As I am approaching this a dump truck comes barrelling down the ramp and never slows down. I don't know if he didn't bother to look or just didn't give a hoot. I had nowhere to go so I hit the brakes just before he hit me, fortunately just on my passenger side mirror. After hitting me, he still didn't bother to slow down. I vote for him not giving a hoot, although I used much more colorful language at the time. I escaped with a banged up mirror (still on my RV as a "momento" but it could have been much worse. We, and I mean you and I, are careful drivers for the most part, driving defensively and trying to anticipate what other drivers are going to do or not do, but we have no actual control of anyone else. The ability to be safe is why we drive RVs. I'm glad the writer if this thread escaped with minimal damage as I am for avoiding worse than I got, but we have to always be aware and safe.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:49 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo View Post
Must have been a heart-stopper. I'm glad you're all okay and I'm willing to bet you have a few new nicknames that I can't print here...

I have an alarm in my passenger's seat that often sees things that I miss... or should have done, or better do, or wants to talk with me later or have me "think about things." (Just kiddin' - DW is my best part and partner.)

Sometimes the alarm just scares me when it shouldn't have gone off at all
LarryFlew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 03:53 PM   #52

I used to never trust some ones turn signal until I see some movement that a turn is being initiated. I no longer even do that as a Jeep had their right turn signal on and started making a turn up a 3 lane multi-lane ramp. I started my left turn and we met in the middle of the street. The driver was honest and admitted to police that he changed his mind and decided to go straight. His insurance agent toid me no one trust turn signals as ask why I did?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterFTH View Post
I had a very close call two days ago exiting a campground in Carlsbad, NM. As I was poised to make a left turn onto a 4 lane highway there was a pickup pulling a camper in the right lane to my left signaling a right turn. He had a camper. I'm leaving a campground. I (stupidly) trusted his signal position and speed and pulled out to make my left turn. Next thing I heard squealing tires so I stopped and his rig passed not a foot in front of me directly into oncoming traffic lanes. He missed me by inches so in the end I guess we were both lucky, but here is what I took away from the incident. For my part, I should have ignored the position, type of vehicle and turn signal (he turned about 2 blocks farther up) and sat there until the road was clear. He made two mistakes - first, don't signal on a local street more than 1-200' before your turn. Second - NEVER swerve! It paid off for me in that his swerving avoided hitting me, BUT he could have had a head on with oncoming traffic and turned a fender bender into a tragedy. I know I learned my lesson - I don't know about the other guy. Be patient out there.

Pushed by a KITTY KAT
wallynm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:16 PM   #53

I-65 south of me closed for 10 hours today. SUV vs Greyhound head on.
KSP Trooper Jeremy Hodges said the passenger vehicle was traveling northbound in the southbound lanes at the time of the crash. The driver of that vehicle was killed. Greyhound driver critical..... semi driver ok.
For those of you that think some are crazy..
Yes. Watch out for the other driver for every reason.
Gleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:35 PM   #54

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
I have seen people put on the right blinker, then turn left. I never trust anyones signal, and yield until they have left the roadway. Years of driving motorcycles taught me that one.
I second this. We all know what happens when we assume 😆
Old 06-20-2019, 04:37 PM   #55

WOW. I lived in NM 30 years and rarely saw anyone use their turn signal. Guess it was a "not" signal.
olinkane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 05:13 PM   #56

Never trust turn signal lights, I've seen them blink for miles on limited access highways. I've seen them not blink and turn directly in front of me. Blinker fluid is one of the last things anyone checks, so when it isn't up to full mark, it does crazy things. Just my observation from over 60 years on the highways, even before "turn signal" lights.
EdnKat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rust