Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #1

New Class A Driver Questions

I'm moving from a 24' Winnebago View to a 39' Winnebago Journey in a couple of weeks and am a little nervous about the length! Is there a way to identify highways in advance that I should stay away from? I figure I won't be climbing Mt. Evans in CO, but how about the Blue Ridge Parkway, etc?

I'm sure I'll have many more questions soon - thanks in advance!
Kavise is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2013, 05:45 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Invest $15 in the Rand Mcnally Motor Carriers' Road Atlas and follow the yellow brick road.

I'm just kidding about the yellow brick road, but all roads that are considered to be part of the "National Network" are highlighted in yellow. Without going into a lot of technical detail, these are highways that will accommodate trucks that are 102" in width and as much as 70' feet in length. You'll be able to travel other roads too but this is a great place to start if you're not sure.

Another book that you might find helpful is The Next EXIT (2013): Mark Watson: 9780984692118: Amazon.com: Books. This lists all of the exits on the Interstate Highway System and what you will find for services at those exits. Services and businesses that will handle large vehicles are written in red. It's a great resource when you get into unfamiliar territory.

Hope this helps.
Craig_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:48 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
x2 on the Next Exit.
Home base Phoenix Az
judy3972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:55 PM   #4

Triple E Owners Club
I went from a 26 Win Aspect to a 34 DP and drove all the same mountain roads and think the DP with exhaust brakes is actually easier. There is no highway road I would feel uncomfortable driving on. I even took on San Franciscos steep hills (dumb move maybe). Rule of thumb, go down in same or lower gear then you went up in. With toad I weight out at about 30,000 lbs and have never overheated the engine or the brakes. Just use common sense and get the feel of your exhaust brakes and transmission on easy hills first and move on up. Have fun.
Rmiscoord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:02 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
You should have no problem at all get a good RV Gps .
rdkng88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:00 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
If I am correct you will have less rear overhang so you should find it easier to go the places you want. Especially fuel stations and other tight places.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickest1 View Post
If I am correct you will have less rear overhang so you should find it easier to go the places you want. Especially fuel stations and other tight places.
Don't know if this is accurate, but you do need to be aware of "swingout" with a longer rig. All depends on the amount of vehicle behind the rear axle.

My swing out is about 2 feet and my rear axle is 14 feet from the rear of the motorhome.

Some have been known to take out a stop sign here and there, or gas pump bollards.

Don
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:04 PM   #8

Learn to 'feel it'....May the Force be with you
TdogKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:36 AM   #9
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Go to an empty parking lot and practice, practice, practice. Use some plastic construction cones as fender-benders.

You already know how to drive, now it is just a matter of getting used to the width and length.

The new rig will have you sitting over your front wheels. When you are going to turn, move your rig forward until your butt is lined up with where you want to go and then begin your turn. The easy turn is a left turn, and the right turn can get you in trouble with curbs and telephone poles. Always pay attention to your rear end through the mirrors when turning along with what is in your line of path.

Happy trails, and welcome to the forum.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:11 AM   #10

Leaving on the drive home after purchase, and maybe into your first extended trip, you'll be a nervous wreck. I think we all are? You will quickly become accustomed though. Once home use it for some errands that have you able to use a big parking lot to get turned around and pointed back towards home a few times? Familiarity will be your friend!

Regarding the Blue Ridge, I wouldn't spend much time on that with your first rig, let alone the new one. That's what toads are all about?
Old 02-19-2013, 10:07 AM   #11

Make wide turns and try not to hit tires on curbs. Can cause sidewall damage. We try to use interstates mostly and watch out for roads w/ no turn around ability. We travel all over Colorado and manual shift on grades to keep RPM's up and temp down.
Snomas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:39 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Leaving on the drive home after purchase, and maybe into your first extended trip, you'll be a nervous wreck. I think we all are? You will quickly become accustomed though. Once home use it for some errands that have you able to use a big parking lot to get turned around and pointed back towards home a few times? Familiarity will be your friend!

Regarding the Blue Ridge, I wouldn't spend much time on that with your first rig, let alone the new one. That's what toads are all about?
I went from 19' to 41', and it was a bit scary at first (to say the least). Watch out while on narrow roads, especially in CGs. I hit a lot of tree branches with my mirrors before I learned where I was on the road. Like others have said - drive slow if you need to. Get out and look when you back up. Safety trumps pride every time! Drive without fear - but don't be fearless. You never get so good that you can stop paying attention. And - watch your height! But once you get comfortable, it's like driving a luxury SUV while sitting in your favorite chair! You're in for a whole new adventure!
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:34 PM   #13

I would echo what Craig R said. In Fact if you find you need to purchase a GPS, Rand McNally has several models geared for RV's. I have a 5710, large screen and I really like it. It allows you to input your specific coach data, weight, height, length, gallons of fuel and propane etc and it is suppose to keep you off of roadways where you would not fit or could get in trouble. It has not failed me yet, but Im not going to say it is fool proof. Just another Arrow in the Quiver. And ....it didn't hurt that my wife and I took A Driver Confidence Course offerred by LazyDays RV in Florida moving to a 40 foot coach. It was free ....you can go on line to LZdays site and they have video of alot of the technigues and tools.
BigDogSolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:18 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
You've also moved past 26,000 lbs. in total vehicle weight (probably) so many jurisdictions require another drivers license endorsement.
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
driver