Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2012, 04:56 PM   #1

New class A.. is it a good deal? or no?

Hi all, been lurking for a long time, great site.....I am in the process of buying a 2006 coachmen mirada 310ds it has 19000 miles and 77 hours on the 5.5 onon genny..rv is perfect inside, all seems to work great after alot of back and forth price is 46400.. first off is that a good price??? its hard to find out true rv values.. second i am worried about the tires, they look perfect and passed inspection but they are 2004 and 2005 dot dates so 7-8 yr old tires..what do you think of this deal? the dealer is offering tires at cost but its still too much with our downpayment. do not know if i should go forward or hold out and wait... thanks all...
hughsonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2012, 06:02 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm a newby, but the tires are aged out and need replacement, no question. As to the rig, a good rv tech should crawl the rig and give you a better idea of what you are looking. Good luck.
so47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:03 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I'll comment on a couple items.

77 hours on the genny are too few for my liking. Make sure it has been recently serviced and run it yourself to see if it runs good under as much a load you can get on it. Lack of use can cause potential problems with some of the parts and fuel systems.

Tires...IMHO...gotta be replaced.

Here is a link to the NADA guide based on standard equipment.

2006 Coachmen MIRADA DLX/PRMR Series M-310 DS-FORD(#) Standard Equipment, Prices & Specs - NADAguides

Don't let the dealer push you around. If it doesn't fit your budget, walk away with the most disinterested look you can muster. You never know what kind of price they will consider after it sits around some more.

You may want to get someone highly qualified in RVs to look it over. It may needs some work due to lack of use. UGG
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:24 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughsonb View Post
i am worried about the tires, they look perfect and passed inspection but they are 2004 and 2005 dot dates so 7-8 yr old tires..what do you think of this deal? the dealer is offering tires at cost but its still too much with our downpayment. do not know if i should go forward or hold out and wait... thanks all...
If the dealer is willing to sell and put on the road a RV with bad tires, he has no conscience for his customers lives and safety. Demand new tires, balance and alignment at no extra charge and if he protests - walk away and do not look back. To a bank/financial institution the value of a RV on a dealers lot depreciates every six months.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:31 PM   #5

Thank you guys for the fast response. It is sooo hard to price a used rv... 100 different sites price it different.. It rides great, i have ran the genny with both ac's and lights seems perfect, they are actually fixing the living room slide right now no cost to me, I actually didnt even notice a problem they did so makes me want to trust them, but i also paid for the 4 yr warrany so would be covered and they know that.. I have seen the same model priced higher and lower at 100 different sites its driving me nuts lol.. allllll said and done with 4 yr bumper to bumper rv and tax finance 49700 ..I will be putting 100 extra a month down btw.. I just do not want a bad deal as we are going to buy a brand new a in 10-15 years for retirement....
Old 08-16-2012, 06:38 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Sounds like you have committed to the purchase. If not, think it over another day.

We just bought our first RV Back in April and I guarantee you I could have drove a harder bargain if I knew what I know now. I don't think I got a horrible deal but I could have done better. I think you will feel the same way a few months from now if all goes well. If it doesn't go as you planned, you will just be able to say you learned the hard way.

Looking forward to you showing it off and BEST WISHES!
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 08:20 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Tires should be replaced. Dealer should also service the generator,engine oil, transmission fluid, chassis lube in my opinion.

But if you have signed on a contract, it is to late to be having second thoughts.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:23 AM   #8

Thank you all for the responses, they actually are going to put on a set of newer tires free of cost. Not brand new but he said no older then 3-4 years.. I am happy now, I just did not want to put out 2500 bucks on tires right after buying the rv, at least I have a year or two now {i hope} lol..
Old 08-20-2012, 11:34 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Time to ask questions is before the deal is signed, not after the ink is dry.

If you're happy with the deal and the dealer is (obviously) then go enjoy it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:35 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughsonb View Post
Thank you all for the responses, they actually are going to put on a set of newer tires free of cost. Not brand new but he said no older then 3-4 years.. I am happy now, I just did not want to put out 2500 bucks on tires right after buying the rv, at least I have a year or two now {i hope} lol..
So, is the stealer taking the tires off another rig on the lot and leaving it with the too old ones?
If so I'd be questionaing his ethics!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:02 PM   #11

I agree with the responses so far. You are at a dealership that has a main concern in selling. Also just servicing the generator will not expose the problems internally for the long periods of sitting. Past experiences will rule that if you don't use it you certainly will lose it(speaking of the generator)
trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:22 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Low retail and no options is $51304.00, so it sounds like youare getting a decent deal. But the stealerships ethics are not great since he is apparently robbing the tires from another unit. If it is not too late, the 3 to 4 year old tires will need to be replaced in about 3 to 4 more years (about a 7 year life max). Personally, I change the tires at 5 to 6 years.

Be sure and run the generator. It will more likely suffer damage from lack of use than you wearing it out.

When we had a coach, we put a lot of hours on the generator when we were traveling with the roof air running.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:55 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I wouldnt buy an extended warranty. I guarantee you it will still cost you $$$ for repairs. Warranties aint free. Read the fine print.

I would also not trust a dealer. Its like hiring a fox to guard a chicken coop.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Low retail and no options is $51304.00, so it sounds like youare getting a decent deal. But the stealerships ethics are not great since he is apparently robbing the tires from another unit. If it is not too late, the 3 to 4 year old tires will need to be replaced in about 3 to 4 more years (about a 7 year life max). Personally, I change the tires at 5 to 6 years.

Be sure and run the generator. It will more likely suffer damage from lack of use than you wearing it out.

When we had a coach, we put a lot of hours on the generator when we were traveling with the roof air running.

Ken
I am now happy with the deal, with what i am paying plus they pay off my camper and bike, granted they will prob make money on my bike but not the camper... They are not taking tires from another camper, I am going right through the manager on this deal. He told me he is buying the tires,,,If that is true or not? I really do not know.. I was worried about genny too with only 77 hours on it i believe it was, but I ran both ac's and turned on all lights and it ran fine, plus it starts fast when you hit switch so i am not as worried any more..
And as far as the warrenty I got it for 1/3 of the starting cost with 100 buck deductable I really was just worried about the big price items so for 4 years i feel a lil better.. You guys are great, thank you... reading this site made me aware of what to be worried about and what to look for.... I owe you all a beer if we ever camp at the same spot