Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-11-2012, 01:54 PM   #1

New Class A motorhome question

I'm new to the game but have been doing a lot of research and searching for RV's. I'm thinking this is a good time to buy new and have found A 2013 ACE 27.1 loaded side cameras,jacks and all for 69,999.00 and a 2013 Fleetwood 34 BH with nice options (double pain glass) full paint levelers bedroom TV Ect for 78,650.00 plus tax. My question is How big of a depreciation hit will there really be at these prices.I'm looking for all opinions of what fellow RVers would look for in something 33' and under with a 100K budget. Any ideas how long a gas rig will last miles wise.

thanks again
M72561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-11-2012, 02:06 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by M72561 View Post
I'm new to the game but have been doing a lot of research and searching for RV's. I'm thinking this is a good time to buy new and have found A 2013 ACE 27.1 loaded side cameras,jacks and all for 69,999.00 and a 2013 Fleetwood 34 BH with nice options (double pain glass) full paint levelers bedroom TV Ect for 78,650.00 plus tax. My question is How big of a depreciation hit will there really be at these prices.I'm looking for all opinions of what fellow RVers would look for in something 33' and under with a 100K budget. Any ideas how long a gas rig will last miles wise.

thanks again
First both rigs will depreciate! Buying any RV certainly is not an investment dollar wise but an investment in lifestyle and stress relief! Gas will last as long as a well maintained auto and the well maintained DP most likely longer. The floor plan is a very huge consideration for most buyers. At least for us and a major majority of post you will read here. How much use will their be? How many miles per year? IMHO the 34BH would be a wiser choice if used for lengthy travels and housing. Weekends, short vacations, state parks, probably the Ace. I am sure you will receive a lot of opinions as this is a recurring hot topic on IRV2. By the way....
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:57 PM   #3

Those sound like ok prices. They should be 25% to 30% off MSRP. The depreciation curve will slow down in 3 or 4 years. You should buy the NADA RV guide to chart the depreciation of previous years then apply it to these MH's. When I charted a DP it was approx. 10k per year from 2008 to 2004. this unit I was charting was already 3 years old at the time since I can not afford new. On lower cost units I would think they would depreciate less. I would guess 5k to 7k per year for the 1st 3 years. Then 3k to 5k after that. A MH built in 2012 will last 20 years or more years if maintained and some $$$ thrown in for repairs.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 03:34 AM   #4

The bigger GAS motors can last as short as 40k, some as long as 150k or so,but figure about 60k to 80 K for gas, depending on how they are run, oil, etc.. roughly 100K for a diesel is like 20K for a car. ( with proper maint) diesel tends to get better mpg, and maint intervals are longer. but every thing costs more. air filter for car, <$30 air filter for a diesel >$50.... gas holds about 4 to 6 qts oil, diesel, 3 gallons or more. .. everything on a diesel is bigger. radiators, brakes, axles, etc.
if your buying a rig to use a few weeks a year, for next 4 or 5 years, gas is prolly ok,, but if our going to be doing more camping than that, need a bigger rig that can tow more, and run 20K a year for the next 5 or 10 years without any mojor trouble, diesel is the way to go .
but thats just my opinion. I hope it helps.
kb7uxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:03 AM   #5

I accept that owners love their Diesels, but just can't accept the statement that a gas motorhome only lasts 60-80,000 miles. We put 115,000 miles on a 1983 Winnebago Chieftain and it was in great shape when we sold it to buy a new '95 Safari TREK with a GM 6.5 Diesel - that had problems (yes, I know this was not a "real" Diesel). Our current '99 TREK is a 7.4 gasser, and I plan to use this way past 100,000 miles. Again, not to bash Diesels. DP's are great, but I get a little tired of the constant refrain that this is the only way to go. A gas chassis, in a reasonable length, that is correctly maintained and used, can be a good choice for a long-lived motorhome and represent a balanced economical solution.

No flaming intended, just an attempt to illustrate "the other side of the coin"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb7uxe View Post
The bigger GAS motors can last as short as 40k, some as long as 150k or so,but figure about 60k to 80 K for gas, depending on how they are run, oil, etc.. roughly 100K for a diesel is like 20K for a car. ( with proper maint) diesel tends to get better mpg, and maint intervals are longer. but every thing costs more. air filter for car, <$30 air filter for a diesel >$50.... gas holds about 4 to 6 qts oil, diesel, 3 gallons or more. .. everything on a diesel is bigger. radiators, brakes, axles, etc.
if your buying a rig to use a few weeks a year, for next 4 or 5 years, gas is prolly ok,, but if our going to be doing more camping than that, need a bigger rig that can tow more, and run 20K a year for the next 5 or 10 years without any mojor trouble, diesel is the way to go .
but thats just my opinion. I hope it helps.
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:07 AM   #6

My Bounder has 65,000 miles on it and runs like a hose, with no end in sight. I change the oil and filter every 7,500-8,000 miles using synthetic oil and the gererator every 250 hours...I really don't know how long it will last. I also park it in my barn, which helps keep it looking nice.

Your Fleetwood is around $79K and one of the lowest class A diesels (Thor Palazzo, 34') is $190K+ retail, buy for $150K. Buy and plan to keep your RV 10 years...do your homework and get a floorplan you like and for the future...new children, pets, etc and plan on keeping it.

Depreciation...don't worry about it. After 10 years, it will not be worth much, but your buy a RV for a fun life style, not a machine your need to go to work in....buy it, enjoy it and good luck with your new life style.
George Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:19 AM   #7

We recently bought a gas coach over a diesel because of the huge cost difference, and the fact that we're just weekend warriors which did not justify a DP. Personally and for quality purposes I'd stay away from the ACE and gravitate towards the Fleetwood.
Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:42 AM   #8

I ran my last Holiday Rambler gasser up till 104,000 miles with absolutely no problems. It still ran like a clock when I sold it. I didn't do anything special except for an oil change each season. We upgraded to a DP, not because I needed it but because I WANTED it.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:47 AM   #9

Personally I would look for a used (3-5 years old) motorhome of a higher trim level then a newer entry level motorhome. This way the biggest hit of the depreciation has already happened.

As far as new vehicle warranty goes, yes you have one with a new motorhome but I see Fleetwood has a one year / 15,000 mile warranty. I doubt you will see the 15,000 miles in one year. So in essence you are getting one year.

What are your plans with the motorhome? Vacations and weekends? Living in it 6 months a year? Planning on living in it full time?

Ask around here but I think you will find that 4-6K a year for millage driven is about the norm.

Oh I personally would stay away from anything under 30' in length. Maybe something like this,

Bast of luck and ask more questions.
Bug512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:13 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
My friend has a 10 yr old Winn Adventure with over 120,000 and still going strong. My Daybreak had 60,000 and runs great. Travel alone 80% and. Have 34', wouldn't consider anything shorter. The floorplan is the key! Find what works for you. Look at many, visit with others. Unless you are going to full time gassers are great.
I wouldn't buy new again. Too many deals to be had.
Good luck and welcome, Darlene
Ridgmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:31 PM   #11

You guys are great.. I love all the input. and your right, a gas, properly taken care of will last many many miles, and last a life time if used correctly, and properly maintained.
but if your cruising the continent from one end to the other, the diesel motor would be much happier on longer trips and heavier loads....
I had gassers for years, in my boats, motor homes etc, all worked great.
And this is my first diesel ( except for my John Deere tractor )
Since i'm retired, and wife is now at home, I wanted a diesel.. never had one.
but I can tell you my experience is, with any of them, you gotta be able to tinker
and fix the little stuff or you'll go broke paying some one.
With the pusher, I find minimal engine noise, no heat, and no hump.
and like the other fella, I bought it because I wanted it.
The other cool part of this is,
it's on the same chassis as some of the fire trucks I get to drive..
8-)
kb7uxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by M72561 View Post

thanks again
Depreciation is Big, I bought a 7000 mile 37 Foot Diesel Gulfstream Crescendo with all toys 3 slides new 162,000 I paid 70K.

There are a lot of Low mileage Creampuffs out there if you look, Less than 50 Cents on the Dollar Used.

Ted.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:32 AM   #13

Depreciation is HUGE. I bought my 2007 Sportscoach for a hair under $80g, NADA was $114g and the retail price new was $198. It had 1900 miles on the clock when I bought it earlier this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GULFSTREAM37 View Post
Depreciation is Big, I bought a 7000 mile 37 Foot Diesel Gulfstream Crescendo with all toys 3 slides new 162,000 I paid 70K.

There are a lot of Low mileage Creampuffs out there if you look, Less than 50 Cents on the Dollar Used.

Ted.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:42 AM   #14

Three years ago purchased a 2000 Winnebago 40J Ultimate Advantage on ebay for 50,100 300hp Cat runs great very few problems very clean yes it does cost more to service but it's has lots of storage and fits our lifestyle.
tbethurum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome