Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2022, 01:25 AM   #1
BEB

New class A owner

I have a 2002 Dutch Star Newmar 38’ we got it and left on a 2800 plus miles A maiden voyage. On the way back home I stopped and fueled up and then started rig up and all was good. Then went over to a Walmart and went in came back out and started rig up and the buzzer for low air did not buzz and the lights on the alarm panel did not come on and I could not reset my mileage back to zero for my last fill up. My fuel gage does not work so the gage set on empty and the low fuel late would always be on also. But Spence the Walmart stop nothing has worked on the alarm panel and no buzzers. When we got home and shut down the fed slide started to go out by itself when no one touched the button and the lock arms were locked but it kept trying so I killed all power and I managed to bring in the slide manually and got the bottom back in and the I unlocked the arms and the it went out. But now I can’t get it to operate to come back in. I did change the voice slide motherboard but it still will not operate. Is there another control board somewhere?or please help with any suggestions. Thank you muches
BEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2022, 06:06 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEB View Post
I have a 2002 Dutch Star Newmar 38’ we got it and left on a 2800 plus miles A maiden voyage. On the way back home I stopped and fueled up and then started rig up and all was good. Then went over to a Walmart and went in came back out and started rig up and the buzzer for low air did not buzz and the lights on the alarm panel did not come on and I could not reset my mileage back to zero for my last fill up. My fuel gage does not work so the gage set on empty and the low fuel late would always be on also. But Spence the Walmart stop nothing has worked on the alarm panel and no buzzers. When we got home and shut down the fed slide started to go out by itself when no one touched the button and the lock arms were locked but it kept trying so I killed all power and I managed to bring in the slide manually and got the bottom back in and the I unlocked the arms and the it went out. But now I can’t get it to operate to come back in. I did change the voice slide motherboard but it still will not operate. Is there another control board somewhere?or please help with any suggestions. Thank you muches
Glad you made it home and welcome to the forum. Someone will give you ideas soon.
Country Road is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 12:19 PM   #3

BEB,

All you are experiencing is related to voltage received from your chassis (starting) batteries.

From my experience, most electrical anomalies like this begin when the batteries are going south, lug connections are loose or corroded at the terminals, chassis grounding terminal is loose or corroded or connections at the large in-line fuses or at the Battery Control Center are loose or corroded.

This all attributes to electrical gremlins....so start at your source of power (ie chassis batteries) and work your way forward.

Over time, moisture and condensation can invade electrical connections, cause them short through corrosion and that's usually the case when you see slides opening on their own, generators starting on their own, awnings deploying on their own etc etc....or a group of dash components not functioning because they are all on the same large multi-pin molex connection.

A lot of these connections are found either behind the steering column along the dash or on the opposite side of the dash mounted to the firewall.

I have attached a photo of what happens inside these molex connections. This coach owner was experiencing all kinds of wierd electrical problems up until this was uncovered at the firewall.

Just some things to start with.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7087.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	373616
Toribk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 01:47 PM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

I agree with toribk that this sounds like a low-battery problem. Have you used a voltmeter to check the battery voltage?

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 09:15 PM   #5

Re-post your post in the Newmar owners section. You will some very good and specific replies to your problem from very knowledgeable Newmar owners who have likely experienced the same problem. I use the Entegra owners section all the time and the Entegra owners have been so helpful
Guernsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 07:50 AM   #6

Welcome aboard!
Old 08-16-2022, 09:26 AM   #7
BEB

New class A motor home owner

Thank you all for your response. I did go through all the connections and cleaned them from the batteries to the front of unit. In the front I found a large plug with many wires in it and when I took it apart there was some corrosion on the pins and sockets. So I cleaned all that up and then took the other plug apart and found one of the pins a socket corroded. So I cleaned that plug up as well. Went and put battery connections back on battery’s and went in and turned the key on and my alarm panel came on and the buzzer and started unit and buzzer stayed on until air built up. So thank you for the info in leading me in the right direction.
But I still have a issue with my slide not operating. Is there a relay somewhere that needs to operate in order for the controller to know which way the slide motor needs to go?
The slide motor is good I can jump it to a battery and it operates both directions. To me it’s something to do with from slide switch to the controller like through a relay. Any ideas??
Old 08-18-2022, 03:17 PM   #8

The slide controller module in my 99 , is under the kitchen sink , on the opposite wall from the main slide . The fuse for the slide motor is in a rear 12 volt fuse panel beside the , 120 volt circuit breaker box , in the bed room on my coach.
Photo is the slide controller .

BTW : Dutch Star diesel pushers can be on Spartan or Freightliner chassis , so it's important to include that info when asking questions about chassis wiring .

Please take a few mins and fill out a signature line with your coach info and it'll automatically come up on the bottom of your posts , as mine does below this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0294 (640x360).jpg
Views:	22
Size:	138.4 KB
ID:	374028  
Old 08-19-2022, 03:30 PM   #9
BEB

New class a owner BEB

Thank you Skip426 your info was helpful I found the slide out controller under the aft bench of table I took cushions off and lifted that cover and there it was mounted to the wall. I took it off and opened it up and part of the mother board was burned up. So I am very grateful for your info and everyone else’s.
I do have the Dutch Star Newmar with the Freightliner chassis. Thanks again so much I can quit pulling my hair out and I don’t got much. Lol
Old 08-19-2022, 05:57 PM   #10

For the wonderful Molex connector tin pins as well as the main AC power connectors, I use DeOxit. The best oxide remover and connector lube I have found.
mlpeloquin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a