Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-01-2018, 10:13 AM   #1

New Class A owners-Bouncing down the road

We just purchased a used Newmar Ventana LE and have been getting used to it during the past month in a local campground. The Motorhome drove very well on the way to the campground after the purchase. During this month we also of course loaded it with our stuff. Now when we drive it, the RV bounces with every bump in the road and going over bridges is horrid. What have done wrong and what should we do? The dealer said to make the air shocks inflate before we drive and to reach a PSI of about 120-130 and wait for the “hiss”. Sometimes even after 10 minutes we don’t hear a hiss. Any suggestions for us newbies would be appreciated.
GeauxTigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2018, 10:27 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Have the coach weighed so you know how much air to run in the (front) tires. too much air can make the ride more harsh.
You may need new shocks too.
How old is coach and how many miles?

I don't understand the air shock comment. Does your dealer mean "air bags"? With a coach with air bag suspension you would want to have air pressure built up to 120 psi before taking off, the hiss he refers to may be the "air pop" when the air pressure reaches system cutoff pressure (120-130 psi) and the air dryer drain opens monentarily to dump any moisture.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 10:49 AM   #3

We have not yet weighed the RV. Is there a reason I would not hear a “pop”? Shouldn’t I be able to hear this from inside the RV or should my DW stand outside to listen?
The RV is a 2016 and had 1,700 miles on it when we bought it. We added another 500 miles to it. We have made arrangements to take it to Freightliner for a checkup since that is what our dealer suggested.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:06 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
with 1,700 miles I would not expect the shocks to be worn out but some brands have worse shocks from factory than others. My coach came with Bilstein shocks, but many like to switch to Koni for the front (to reduce porpoising).

Tire pressure may be the cause.
How much air pressure are running in the tires now?

As far as hearing the dryer unloader "pop", in my coach I can't hear anything unless the door is open or I'm standing outside.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:11 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
If you don't hear a "hiss", look to see if you have 4 or 5 inches of clearance between the top of the tire and body around the tire.

It sure does sound like the air bags aren't inflating.
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:19 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Congrats on the new rig! Like Ken, it sounds like the air bags are not inflating! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 12:15 PM   #7

The RV barely raises even after sitting there for 10 minutes waiting for the “hiss”. Could it be a weight issue?
Old 08-01-2018, 12:30 PM   #8

Your air bags get their air typically from the wet tank. If you have a major leak in your air system the compressor can’t keep up. The wet tank will never reach the cut off pressure and the air dryer will not purge. Have you drained the air tanks lately to check for moisture.

You really need to read up on how an air system operates. Crazy salesman doesn’t have a clue.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 12:59 PM   #9

It seems odd that the suspension air bags would not inflate automatically when the engine is started, unless the jack system is stuck in the leveling position even though the jacks are in the transport mode. With no air in the suspension, the coach is riding on the frame and not a good idea to move it. That would be very rough and possibly damaging to the suspension or frame. I have a different brand, but have a "Suspension Up" button that I sometimes have to press to get the bags to inflate if they do not inflate on their own.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:16 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
On my previous Spartan Chassis coach here are a few thoughts.

1. If you only dump the bags...you MUST use the STORE button to inflate them. They will not inflate automatically. HOWEVER...I've never tested this but I've been told that if you put the coach in gear they will inflate but that could be too late to save the fender wells if you turn the wheels.

2. If you AUTO LEVEL (auto dump and level) it is the same as above.

3. If you are parked a long time you might loose some air but the compressor will restore pressure once the motor is started.

I've not gotten a chance to see if my current FL chassis performs identical.

Another point is that even if you didn't use the cruise control to increase the idling RPM you should still see the coach raise up on the bags and the air compressor governor "pop" within 3 or 4 minutes. 5 minutes top! However, if you increase idle to 1000 RPM no more than 3 minutes max. This assumes the only thing you have done is dump the air bags.

If there is some other kind of minor leak then you might need to be at high idle to get up on the bags. With some kind of leak you would also notice the air gauge pressure drop when braking but taking a long time to get back up to 120 PSI or so. You might even get a low pressure alarm that would go away after you increased RPM to get to driving speed but still get a slow recovery to 120 PSI.

Now...

Based on what you have said and ASSUMING you have taken the proper actions to ensure the air bags are set up to be inflated I would suggest that the OP is having some kind of air pressure system problem. Compressor, air leak, leaky valves...

BTW...if you are hearing a "hiss"...that is not normally good. You should hear a clear POP sound when the system reaches pressure. You might need to be outside to hear it but it is plenty audible if you are outside. During my start up I am outside the coach walking around and observing the coach raise up on the bags and waiting for that POP before I move the coach.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:20 PM   #11

I agree with what Crasher posted, you have an air bag inflation failure. Most likely cause is the leveling system and not getting the proper retract signal or something failed in the retract sequence. I have had similar issues over the years and it was always something small so hopefully yours problem is as well. No matte how much weight you have in the coach it should inflate to road ready position right away after building up air pressure.
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:21 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
The hiss is from the air dryer purging when your air compressor shuts off...air tanks have gotten to 120+psi. Assuming after starting the engine you selected travel on your leveling system...once you get to 120 psi on your dash gauges, you are good to go hiss or not.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 02:02 PM   #13

Another rookie question. Is the air bag system part of the frieghtliner chassis?
Old 08-01-2018, 02:04 PM   #14

Y’all are really as the dealer took 5 seconds to go over the instrument panel, jacks, etc...

Tags
class a