Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2020, 07:01 AM   #1

Angry New Class A / Warranty work

Hi all. I live in Maryland north of Baltimore right on the PA line.
Just purchased a new Class A Fleetwood Bounder in May. It has the Ford chassis. I was hesitant to go with a gasser for several reasons.
The first trip out, it started having issues. About an hour and a half into the trip it started losing power and rpm's. Managed to get through the trip.
When I got back, I immediately started contacting my dealer. They do not do work to the Ford portion of the rig.
Started contacting Ford dealers around. They ALL said they can't fit a class A on their lift. These places sell and service commercial Fords. But can't fit a class A. I explained that it doesn't need to go on a lift and I don't want it to go on one. The Tech has to be able to access his area (the lift) to work on it.
I deal with a full commercial Ford dealer at work but they just plain don't work on motorhomes.
The 1-800 Ford hotline is absolutely no help. They basically told me to do what I already have done.
The nearest dealer to take me in was over an hour away in PA. But the soonest they could give me an appoint was 2 weeks out. I was planning a trip then.
Regretting this purchase already.
earle9966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2020, 07:11 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
You could always get a code reader. It could be something simple. Just because it's warranty doesn't mean you always have to let them deal with it.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 07:31 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I feel your pain, do not give up and document everything.

I went through the same thing on a 1997 Class C with a F350 chassis. I had significant issues, Ford essentially disowned me. Finally sent a registered letter to Henry Clay Ford Jr, CEO at the time. I had previously sent 4 letters to Ford at the address in the chassis manual. Finally got a call from a customer service rep. I asked about the letters I sent and they said they had none on record. He asked what address I used and said it was the wrong one. The service rep insinuated that lack of maintenance on my part was the reason for the problems. I have a strong maintenance background and immediately put him in his place with a simple statement (The problems with my Class C blows Ford's Six Sigma quality program out of the water).

3 exhaust manifolds first one took~4 months to replace because entire inventory was defective and backlog of warranty repair, oil pickup tube on pump cracked sucking air causing oil pressure fluctuations, seal in transmission with new seal shipped with warning stating original seal not recommended for heavy duty application.

Never did get any satisfaction and finally sold the Class C, but by that point I had most of the main problems fixed and my mechanic's father actually bought it.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:20 AM   #4

I didn't see mention of a check engine light. If it did come on, ask your favorite autoparts store to check but not delete the codes stored in the computer. Write them down to compare with the shops results later or to inform the shop when you schedule the appointment. If the check engine light didn't come on or there aren't any codes, taking it to the shop might not do any good. If the shop cannot recreate the issue, there's nothing they can do. And, I'm not to sure if they would even test drive it to try to recreate the issue.

Just food for thought before investing the wait time to get into the shop.

Was the loss of power drastic like a limp mode to less than 35 mph? Was it everywhere or just on hills?
Ndrorder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:22 AM   #5

Call a mobile mechanic. They come to you.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 05:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdracr39 View Post
You could always get a code reader. It could be something simple. Just because it's warranty doesn't mean you always have to let them deal with it.
I am a heavy equipment mechanic. I have a code reader. It did not throw a check engine code. It is the potentiometer (sensor under the accelerator) which probably would only not send a signal and not throw a code.
The point is that I have a new motorhome that is under warranty. I paid for extra warranty. And I'm unable to get the repairs made without me doing it myself and paying for parts.
earle9966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 06:21 AM   #7

I understand the dealer not being able to do the work but it seems they could have recommended some options. At least a shop that could help. Who under writes the warranty? They must have a list of shops you can take it to.

I'm sure you thought of all of this. It's a blasted shame to had paid extra for something and get the run around when you try and use itm
DKB218NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 02:41 PM   #8

Having a dealer less than an hour away doesn't sound like a big problem. I'd be pretty happy with that. And two weeks for an appointment sounds reasonable for a busy shop. Sounds like most of your frustration is in buying a new coach and it having problems.....no one can fault you for that....stinks for sure.
Old 07-13-2020, 02:57 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spdracr39 View Post
Good idea!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 05:20 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by earle9966 View Post
It is the potentiometer (sensor under the accelerator)
Were you able to find and execute a test sequence to verify the pot is bad?

Tags
class a, warranty