Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-24-2017, 08:32 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pplwizard View Post
Hummm..... As someone who has sold motorhomes for years let me enlightening you......
The companies that sell warranties are either selling them because they really care about my financial future or they are trying to make money. I think it's the latter. If they are actually making money than on average it can't be worth it to the buyer of the contract.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-24-2017, 01:21 PM   #16

Bought an ACE 32 foot gasser, 2015 model with 12000 miles on it and out of manufacturer guaranty. Dealer pushed the insurance really hard. he used the earthquake argument. I suggested that if he was selling me an inferior product that wouldn't hold together for 5 years, that I'd better find another coach. He coughed and said that they were unable to know how carefully I'd drive the coach and couldn't be responsible. I told him that I would take care of the coach just fine. He also didn't tell me that when something failed under the extended warrantee that the coach would have to go to an approved shop and that during the prime RVing months that those shops would put me on two to six week waiting list for repairs.

So far in a year and a half, the items that have caused problems were 15 minutes for me to fix out of the tool kit I carry or tools I have at home. My drive train guarantee on the F53 is good for 6 years or 60 thousand miles and that is where my own mechanical skill would be no good in the event of a failure.

If you are a complete mechanical dunce, then the extended warantee may be okay, but you may loose your first season or two of using your RV. Warantee on the drive train is a must.
Hames57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 03:12 PM   #17

With Tiffin one does not require an extended warrantee as manuf stands totally behind their product imho. With the gas chassis also have 4 yr Ford warrantee.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:54 PM   #18

If you do not trust the new coach to run 5 to 6 years without major problems, then you should look for a different brand. For every owner who says they are glad they bought an extended service contract, there are probably a dozen that did not get their money back.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 03:57 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
For every owner who says they are glad they bought an extended service contract, there are probably a dozen that did not get their money back........

There has to be and that's the point.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 05:47 AM   #20

We waited until about a month before the coach warranty ran out to get an extended warranty (the engine and chassis is still covered by Ford but the extended warranty still covers it). It was less then half the price on what the dealer offered me. It's like getting insurance for your house, you hope you won't need it but will be glad to have it if you do.
Dippytwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 05:57 AM   #21

I waited until my factory warranty was just about to expire then bought a service plan from CoachNet. It was under $4k for 7 years, includes roadside assistance , tire wheel coverage and pretty much everything in/on the coach. It has more than paid for itself .

Why not see how your coach performs during your factory warranty coverage and then decide if you want to purchase and extended service contract.
Old 08-25-2017, 06:12 AM   #22

Lets summarize: 1-EWs are contracts, not insurance policies, so not regulated by law. No requirement for reserves or any real consumer protections [here today, gone tomorrow]; 2-the fine print can kill you, eg, don't follow and document periodic maintenance "requirements" and the EW company has a way out [cheap filters, miss an oil change--you lose!]; 4-Some folks win, most lose ["do you feel lucky Punk...?"]. EWs--$4-5k; peace of mine--priceless!!!!! You decide.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 06:26 AM   #23

if the salesman who said " ...some folks aren't disciplined to save on their own" really believes that, then why is he selling them a $100,000 motorhome?

the truth is:

- if the 'extended warranty' companies did not make money on these deals, including the amount of commissions they pay the dealers, then they would NOT be selling them... of course, they DO make money, meaning that they pay out much less in 'claims' than they take in - YOU, the customer, are making them a profit.

- WHY would you need to buy an 'extended warranty' BEFORE the manufacturer's own warranty even starts? If you are the nervous type, then wait until the manufacturer's warranty is about the expire - why would you need to 'buy' one any earlier? You may not even own the vehicle anymore by that time.

- Save your money, put the same amount they would charge you for the 'extended warranty' in the bank, keep it for yourself... You'll probably NEVER need it for the RV... but it will make for a nice cushion for retirement!

- an 'extended warranty' is not a warranty. it is not insurance. it is a contract with a third party company you've never heard of before, and don't know anything about. Most folks don't go into a purchase thinking about this ahead of time, but get 'talked' into it at the point of sale. It's very doubtful that you'd ever buy something like this on your own if you took the time to research it, and certainly not from a salesperson at an RV dealership.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 11:52 AM   #24

Maybe I am wrong but to me its a numbers game.

The company charges X amount of folk X amount of $ knowing that only a certain % of coaches will have a major issue and thus a claim. The load is spread over many people.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:49 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Like all insurance, Aftermarket contracts or mis labeled "warranties" Should cover you in the event something catastrophic happens that would Bankrupt you or alter your lifestyle dramatically if you weren't covered. My opinion is if 5,000-10,000 is that event then a hundreds plus thousand Rv is possibly not a good choice ....I was told long ago set aside a 5-10% of the current RV value ea year to cover maint. and repairs and I do that instead.
There is the comfort factor and if buying it lets you sleep at night and your willing to jump the hoops they require, go for it! Just never at a dealer and finance a 4 or 5 year contract over 15 years (or more!) and never when New for goodness sake! your double paying for the service and they wont cover anything until the factory warranty is over anyway. Wait and see how the first new year goes.
Of course on a slightly used unit you may feel more uncomfortable so go with a backup plan by all means. For reference The most expensive and rare Catastrophic event would be a out of warranty Diesel Engine failure ..30-45 or more grand. Pay 5-6 grand for a 3 year or so coverage period to cover the unlikely engine failure?
There are several companies.... "wholesalers" that have a good reputation, that can help you find the right policy for you if you feel the need in a year or two
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 04:59 PM   #26

Ours used 2010 came with one. Two days out the aqua hot boiler started leaking. Stopped at the coach OEM service center and they confirmed it was bad but covered. 2 1/2 months later with the coach sitting the insurance says yes we will repair. Repair will take two mor months. I said I will pay the difference to have new unit installed which we did. If we paid out of pocket would have been about 16k. Was it worth it ? The time without our coach was worth something. I have very mixed feelings.
Woody57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extended warranty, warranty