Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2015, 09:33 AM   #1

New coach prices

What is the normal percentage of discount from MSRP. Used to be 22%. What would I pay for a 2016 $300,000 motorhome? What would I pay for a $300,000 2015 carryover?
FtPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2015, 09:47 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
This will probably be dependant on the make. Tiffins typically go for 25%-30% off MSRP on their current line. Carry-over will probably leave even more room for dealer negotiations since it's costing the dealer to sit on the lot.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:20 AM   #3

It is going to depend on brand and how badly a dealer wants to move inventory. Entegras will discount into the mid-30's while Newmars and Tiffins tend to be in the mid-20's.
Old 08-11-2015, 11:56 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FtPierre View Post
What is the normal percentage of discount from MSRP. Used to be 22%. ...
When was 22% "normal"?

Since 2004 when I purchased my first of three motorhomes, (Fleetwood, Winnebago, Thor), I have always hunted Nationally for the best price. I will gladly fly across the country and make a nice vacation trip out of driving the new motorhome back home. I have NO local dealership loyalty, and I have always been treated perfectly when needing warranty service, (despite what salesmen always promise about being given priority).

40% to 60% off MSRP is what I consider reasonable and "normal" for non-Tiffen and non-Newmar motorhomes, (60% off MSRP on my current Thor).

I just follow the wisdom that I have gleaned from RV message boards, (originally on PopUpExplorer.com as a PopUp owner, GoodSam, and here on irv2):

1. The best deals are a dealer's "old inventory", brand-new motorhomes that have been sitting on the lot for months.

2. Never purchase an RV that has been used at a show, (unless if it's discounted significantly more).

3. Current year models are discounted the most immediately when next year's models are on the lot and ready for sale. As time goes on without being sold, the discount gets even better, (my 2014 was still on the dealer's lot with a whole bunch of 2015 models, that kept arriving while I was there).
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 01:32 PM   #5

If you are buying new with no trade, you can drive a harder bargain. Don't be afraid to shop around - even across country for the best deal you can get. If you can save an extra 10 or 15k its worth while to travel.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:41 PM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
Not what the OP asked, but why not buy used in the first place, rather than pay a new price for a used one. After all, as soon as you purchase it, it's used and it's value will be reflected as such. I mean, just try and doing a private sell, the next day after your purchase. This translates into a huge price per mile that will take years to even coming close in recovering from. I've even found this same person to have some concerns about mpg....lol
Also think about all the trips to the dealership for warranty work and aggravation, that the previous owner would have taken care of for you. Consider how the same amount of money will buy you much more in quality.
Yes, I know and if not for the ones who buy new, what would people like me do. So, in answer to that, I can only say, thank you very much.
I've only bought one vehicle new and from my dealer neighbor at his cost. Shouldn't have done that either. As for all the rest and there have been many, I've never been sorry with a purchase.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 06:40 PM   #7

[QUOTE=BeachDude;2692079]....When was 22% "normal"? ......40% to 60% off MSRP is what I consider reasonable and "normal" for non-Tiffen and non-Newmar motorhomes, (60% off MSRP on my current Thor)....."

Really? I wonder how any dealer can be in business selling a produce at a 60% discount from MSRP which would be far below his cost (dealer cost ).

The NADA listing for THOR shows as not being in business since 1999.
I would understand that a 16 year old MH would be 60% off - in fact NADA shows it as being about 80% off list.

Please share with all us other folk, struggling to be able to afford a NEW MH, the dealers name who give these 40/60% discounts. we need all the help we can get.

PHESPE
PHESPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:10 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Shop Shop Shop. Of course there are lots of factors - end of model year, how long on the lot, overhead, etc. Our discount was excellent. I look at the price of the 2016s and I am glad we bought when we did. I'd say the inputs you've gotten are in the right neighborhood. We got almost 35% off - smaller dealership, lower overhead, end of the model year, etc. The even better news and not always found - service department really know their stuff.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:39 PM   #9

[QUOTE=PHESPE;2692680]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachDude View Post
....When was 22% "normal"? ......40% to 60% off MSRP is what I consider reasonable and "normal" for non-Tiffen and non-Newmar motorhomes, (60% off MSRP on my current Thor)....."

Really? I wonder how any dealer can be in business selling a produce at a 60% discount from MSRP which would be far below his cost (dealer cost ).

The NADA listing for THOR shows as not being in business since 1999.
I would understand that a 16 year old MH would be 60% off - in fact NADA shows it as being about 80% off list.

Please share with all us other folk, struggling to be able to afford a NEW MH, the dealers name who give these 40/60% discounts. we need all the help we can get.

PHESPE
Thor industries owns a ton of RV names that have gone out business, you need to look again,
Recreational Vehicles - Thor Industries, Inc.

Thor Motor Coach - North America's #1 Brand of Motorhomes
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:00 PM   #10

60% off MSRP on a new MH, Wow, I need more info! Why buy used.
Old 08-12-2015, 05:28 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I got lucky on my first RV, a 31' Class C. Bought it a dealer auction and paid 35% off MSRP. After the auction the dealer came up to me and said that he sold it at his cost.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:01 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Yep. I got the same sort of a deal and then got the dealer to throw in the labor to move several items from old coach (hitch, surge suppressor, rock guard, install washer/dryer, etc). I believed then and I still do - it was fairly near his cost.

bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:47 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachDude View Post
When was 22% "normal"?

Since 2004 when I purchased my first of three motorhomes, (Fleetwood, Winnebago, Thor), I have always hunted Nationally for the best price. I will gladly fly across the country and make a nice vacation trip out of driving the new motorhome back home. I have NO local dealership loyalty, and I have always been treated perfectly when needing warranty service, (despite what salesmen always promise about being given priority).

40% to 60% off MSRP is what I consider reasonable and "normal" for non-Tiffen and non-Newmar motorhomes, (60% off MSRP on my current Thor).

I just follow the wisdom that I have gleaned from RV message boards, (originally on PopUpExplorer.com as a PopUp owner, GoodSam, and here on irv2):

1. The best deals are a dealer's "old inventory", brand-new motorhomes that have been sitting on the lot for months.

2. Never purchase an RV that has been used at a show, (unless if it's discounted significantly more).

3. Current year models are discounted the most immediately when next year's models are on the lot and ready for sale. As time goes on without being sold, the discount gets even better, (my 2014 was still on the dealer's lot with a whole bunch of 2015 models, that kept arriving while I was there).
what was msrp??? and what did you get....I'm pretty good at math...

if msrp was 200k... that means you got it for 80k right...

if msrp was 100k... you got it for 40k right..
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 03:50 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
what was msrp??? and what did you get....I'm pretty good at math...

if msrp was 200k... that means you got it for 80k right...

if msrp was 100k... you got it for 40k right..

Ooops! My bad.

I suck at math, (that's why I became an Engineer, instead of a Research Scientist). And don't worry, I only build aircraft and spacecraft, nothing intrinsically intended to be life-threatening in and of itself, (like weapons hardware).

OK, I apologize guys, I only paid 40% below MSRP for my current 2014 Thor Hurricane 34E motorhome. It's MSRP was $122,000, and I paid $73,000.

- Yes, Thor is still in business.
- Yes, if you find a nice deal there is no reason to buy used.
- No, they are NOT easy to find. If they were, everyone would do it!

However, when I wasn't actively shopping I have run into deals for new PopUps, TTs, 5ers, and Class A motorhomes up to 60% off.

The key, (as someone else posted), is to SHOP, SHOP, SHOP.
BeachDude is offline   Reply With Quote