Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2014, 09:27 AM   #1

New Coax to old coax conversion for rear tv.

I bought a new DVD player for my 2000 motorhome. Unfortunately it does not have the old type coax output on it, only the new style that looks like an RCA output that is black. Can I just put an adapter in the line and use the old coax to the rear tv?
farnorth99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2014, 09:54 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by farnorth99 View Post
I bought a new DVD player for my 2000 motorhome. Unfortunately it does not have the old type coax output on it, only the new style that looks like an RCA output that is black. Can I just put an adapter in the line and use the old coax to the rear tv?
I am aware that they have new connectors coming out every day. But I have not heard of a coax with an RCA output plug on it. Could it be possible that you are looking at the digital sound output jack. A lot of systems to get digital audio has either a jack for fiber optic cable or an RCA style coax like you are talking about. If I am right and it is the one for the sound obviously that will not work. What you would need to get is a modulator I am sure that your DVD player will have a HDMI connector and you can get a modulator that has an HDMI input and put out an RF signal that you can use with your coax.

this article explains it.
How to Convert Coaxial Cable to HDMI | eHow
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:54 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Hard to tell. Normally, antenna line coax terminates in RF type connectors. For TV, that would be the "F" connectors that have a screw on connector surrounding the very thin wire center conductor. If you truly have RCA connectors, my bet is either they are the Yellow/Red/White audio/video lines or even the newer composite RGB lines. If the center of the RCA connections on your new DVD are yellow, red and white, or have something like "V" or video, left and right printed by them, they're audio/video lines and are not the same as old fashioned screw on antenna coax.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:03 AM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
I doubt seriously if the RCA jack is meant for any kind of signal input and why would you need it for DVD playback? Seems to me that all you need is an output from the player to the TV and if your TV is without the proper mate for accessory connectors, then a converter box should be available at Radio Shack or other.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:05 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
I'm not sure I know what kind of connection the DVD player has. Most now have HDMI and composite or component connectors. Composite has three RCA, one yellow for video, one red and one white for left and right audio. Component has red blue and green for the video.

Composite to coax is simple, an inexpensive RF modulator will work. Component I'm not sure if there is one and HDMI to RF (coax) I believe is either very expensive or not available. This is what I found searching for the same type solution to connect our new Blue Ray player to both TVs that are connected by the old coax and box of many buttons in our MH.

The solution for it seems to be to get one DVD/Blue Ray player for the front and another for the bedroom. They are so cheap now it would be easier and less expensive. BTW both TVs are upgraded or in the process of to HDTV so they have HDMI inputs.

If your connection is different, post the make and model and maybe someone can look up the manual and help out.

EDIT: Some redundant info here because I type slow and re-read my posts.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:29 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
How about if farnorth99 just posts the make and model of the DVD player? Then folks could make recommendations based on information found on line. I've discovered shopping for video equipment it's really important to know what type of inputs and outputs are available on all the stuff you want to interconnect.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:39 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
DVD players normally do not come with RF-OUT.. they come with A/V out (Audio Video) which is not one but three RCA jacks, usually color coded red, white and yellow.

Your TV store will also sell a device called a MODULATOR, it has five connectors

1: Power cord (It eats power after all)
1: RF connector, type F, for the coax to the TV, may have 2 of these (IN and OUT with pass through when turned off)
3: RCA connectors, color coded RED, White and Yelloy

Hook red to red, white to white Yellow to Yellow, RF- (Antenna/Cable) IN to the lead that currently is connected to the tv and RF OUT (out to TV) to the TV with the coax that came with the unit.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:50 AM   #8

Quote:
farnorth
Here is a "female RCA to female coax F connector" adapter: Cable Adapter by VALUE BRAND - Audio-Video Splitters, Connectors, and Adapters by Zoro Tools Industrial Supplies

Here is a "male RCA to female coax F connector" adapter:
RCA Male to F Female Adaptor - Gold Plated - Monoprice.com

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 12:54 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Radio Shack...the kids in there can point you to the right connectors. Drive the RV there if possible to show them what you are trying to do. Of course, kids means anyone under 50 these days
cochise1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:12 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Something to keep in mind. You can't just change the connector and have it work. For example going from HDMI to coax. The coax connection is RF so even from more simple architecture like composite an RF modulator is needed. I ran into this trying to use an old tube type TV in my garage. We had an extra DVD player with only composite/component outputs. To get it to work with the old TV on a coax cable I needed an inexpensive RF modulator.

Yes we could really use the make and model of the DVD player then I'm sure the manual will be available online.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:22 AM   #11
Community Moderator

i ran into this issue and i resolved it... fyr... i route everything including jack antenna, satellite and cable to front cabinet, and a blu ray player in there too. i feed satellite and blu ray to a hdmi 2-to-1 then to iogear gw3dhdkit, which transmits signal to bedroom tv wirelessly and to front tv by hdmi cable. the jack antenna goes through booster and splitted to front tv and bedroom tv by coax.

so i get hdtv in bedroom as well as in front. but they are always on same program except ota.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:28 AM   #12

This may help keep everybody on the same connecter.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WireTypes.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	61958
Old 05-02-2014, 08:44 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
IT IS NOT JUST THE CONNECTOR.. The information on the wire is different as well.. Read my prior post.

The DVD player puts out Base band A/V, that is Analog audio left and right, plus analog VIDEO 30 frames per second. UNLESS the television has matching A/V inputs as mine does, you will have no joy, Though the wires used are coaxial, IT IS NOT THE SAME as the RG-59 or RG-6 Antenna cable.. nor is the signal the same, nor can the antenna connector understand it. (Though you can use RG-cable to carry the signals, Done that, with the proper adapters).

The red and white connectors, with the proper adapters, CAN feed a pair of amplified computer speakers or a headphone if you wish. 1 volt peak to peak audio is what is on them

The F-Type threaded connectors with the RG-type cable (Radio Grade) carry RADIO Frequency usually around 62-68 MHZ as I reacall without double checking.. This is modulated with the A/V signals (in short a standard Channel 3 (or 4) Television signal in fact, often a very high grade signal since they do not necerally filter the bandwidth like a broadcast station had to).

Thus you need the modulator, an active device that

1: Generates the channel 3 or 4 (Or whatever I've seen some that were UHF) signal and
2: Modulates (Adds intellegence) to it with the Audio Video out from the DVD player.

Just adapting the connector will not work.

IF: your motor home has a box of many buttons... SOME models of that box have the needed converter built in,, IF yours does it will have matching connectors on it's backside like mine does.
Old 05-03-2014, 03:26 PM   #14

Could the OP post a photo of the rear of the DVD player they are trying to hook up?
Virago-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote