RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2018, 07:16 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
New DP 1st Shake Down Cruise

So, as posted here earlier the DW and I bought a new 2018 Holiday Rambler Navigator XE 36U DP. Went on a 4 day shakedown cruise middle of last week. Coach performed wonderfully and everything worked: Generator, blinds, windows, steps, awning, sinks, w/d, shower, commodes, engine, tranny, microwave, range, tv's, a/c's, leveling jacks, air bags everything, no issues. What I liked about the DP vs my old much loved gasser: Driving on cruise control. With the gasser on cruise, every time I hit an overpass or mole hill it would downshift and jump from 2100 rpm to 3100 to 3500 and at times 4500 rpm trying to hold speed. The DP just stayed at 1700 or so and speed stayed constant. It was so pleasant. It's also much quieter. Also liked the generator in front. If we need to run it while sleeping it's not right under us.
What I don't like: All of the maintenance and special requirements of the DP. Biocides, ULSD additives, water/fuel seperator filters, Allison requirements, Freightliner requirements, it's mind boggling at first.
Jury still out: Ride height. Gasser sat about 18" above the pavement. Closer to overhanging branches but much further from speed bumps, dips etc. DP's 11.5" is just the opposite as per trees, speed bumps, dips etc.
On the whole I already prefer the DP and would never go back to a gasser. Going on a 2nd shakedown in 2 weeks for 4 or 5 days just to make sure before we head back up North with it for the summer. Let you know if anything changes.
MoHo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2018, 07:27 PM   #2

It will get better in time and glad everything went well.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 07:31 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Good to hear all went well !

Couple of points ..... You don't need to add ULSD additives if you don't want to. I'll guess less than 5% of DP owners add anything but fuel to their tank. If your storing the coach for any length of time, probably a good idea to add a shot of biocide.
The Allison likely doesn't require any more maintenance than the tranny in your gas coach.
Old 02-24-2018, 08:08 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Glad it all went well. Enjoy the adventure.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:11 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Glad it went so smoothly, usually there are a few things that need fixing.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 08:15 PM   #6

Take a look at all your water connections and drain connections under sinks. I thought all was good till the other half tells me under kitchen sink is soaked. Water supplies were not even finger tight. Have since gone thru every water supply and drain and ensured everything was tight
MikeO58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 07:14 AM   #7

MoHo Dave....

I used to own a small fleet of trucks and if you look at the list of stuff to do, it becomes a huge mountain to overcome... we broke it down to 2 inspections a year... in the fall, when we checked the vehicles for winter... we'd put on that list... change the cartridge in the air dryer, fuel filters, etc... again 6 months later in the spring we had a different list..

And, some of the vehicles that really didn't run the 50K miles a year that the high mileage vehicles did.... we pushed some of those items into once every year... in our case if the vehicle was a 2010, those inspections followed the winter/summer protocol but were done every two years, on even numbered years... if the vehicle was an 09 it was done on odd number years...

We only used fortifiers for ULSD in those vehicles that worked at very high loads... where the engine would run against the governor a lot... Remember Cummins & CAT have only one or two APPROVED products for ULSD... the importance here... is to not send any chemicals down stream in the exhaust process that will damage or contaminate the DEF injection system and the SCR down stream from that injection system...
Old 02-25-2018, 07:59 AM   #8

I have had all wet filters changed annually along with the oil in Generator and engine plus greasing all joints. Air cleaner on inspection every three years. We run about 10,000 miles per year, currently at 45,000 miles. Over the 55 years that I have run diesel engines, anti-gel products is all I have ever added to the fuel. Nothing so far to current ISL Cummins. Cost about $350 except when the air cleaner is changed. Other than increased cost, I have always felt the diesel maintenance wasn't much different than the gas, but i'm not doing it myself any more.
Crasher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 10:11 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Spartan Chassis
New DP 1st Shake Down Cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96 Wideglide View Post
Good to hear all went well !

Couple of points ..... You don't need to add ULSD additives if you don't want to. I'll guess less than 5% of DP owners add anything but fuel to their tank. If your storing the coach for any length of time, probably a good idea to add a shot of biocide.

The Allison likely doesn't require any more maintenance than the tranny in your gas coach.

X2 on the ULSD.

The best practice for diesel fuel is to be sure to top the tank off before letting it set for any length of time. This gets most of the air out of the tank and reduces moisture condensation into the fuel.

Also, avoid low volume “mom and pop” stations for your diesel purchases. You want to buy from outlets that move a lot of diesel (fresher) and stay on top of their tank and pump maintenance.
2017 Dutch Star 4018 - Sold - Towing Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
deaton is offline   Reply With Quote