Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2014, 06:53 AM   #1

New DP - all electric coach option question

We are considering ordering a 2015 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH. An expensive option (over $8k) is the all electric coach option.
Can campgrounds handle this kind of electric load? Will we be rotating appliance usage to avoid constant kick outs?
We are concerned that the hookups available will not handle the load of the large MH.
We will not be dry camping much.

Is the factory ahead of the campgrounds?
Your experiences,thoughts would be appreciated.
Should we save our money and leave the gas in the coach?
rbblak is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2014, 07:40 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
There are a number of places restricted if you have propane. Tunnels, roads over dams etc.
canman001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 07:44 AM   #3

All-electric coaches have been around for a long time. We looked at a 2000 Country Affinity a while ago. I have never heard of any problem while you have 50-amp service. A lot of new coaches have a residential refrigerator and AquaHot, so the only other appliance using propane would be the stove top if you get a coach that uses propane.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 07:46 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
All electric coaches will generally have electronically controlled load sharing. If you turn something on that will cause you to exceed the maximum amps available it will shed something else temporarily to keep you from tripping the breaker. We've lived in our all electric coach for three years now and have never had a problem, never tripped a breaker. For the most part this would only be an issue if you're plugged into something less than 50 amps, but even then, it won't be a major issue. We've spent a number of weeks over the last three years plugged into 30 amps.

These control units are programmable so if you don't like the priorities set by the factory you can change them (what will it shed, and in what order).
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 07:51 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Personally, I would not want an all-electric coach. It's like the old saying, "don't put all your eggs in one basket". What if it's freezing cold and the electric heating fails? That's just one of many instances I could name. I don't use the LPG any more than I have to, but I want to know it's there when I need it! JMHO!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 07:57 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Personally, I would not want an all-electric coach. It's like the old saying, "don't put all your eggs in one basket". What if it's freezing cold and the electric heating fails? That's just one of many instances I could name. I don't use the LPG any more than I have to, but I want to know it's there when I need it! JMHO!
All of the "All-Electric" coaches I know have hydronic heating with a diesel burner. You can heat for a lot longer on a full tank of diesel than a full tank of propane.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:04 AM   #7

It is an option some choose and some dont. Personally all electric becomes too restrictive to me. What happens if you want to stop for the night and they only have 15 or 30 amp service?
Old 11-02-2014, 08:07 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
It is an option some choose and some dont. Personally all electric becomes too restrictive to me. What happens if you want to stop for the night and they only have 15 or 30 amp service?
You don't run as many appliances. 15amp is going to be tough for any rig, if you need AC. If you need heat, you use the hydronic system. Run the generator while you cook (or use an outdoor grill), then turn it off. No problem.

We did many 30amp CGs on our Alaska tour. Didn't need AC much, and the only thing we needed the generator for was laundry (dryer is 240V).
Old 11-02-2014, 08:16 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We have an 02 Windsor with the Aquahot system.
When we are hooked up to 50 amp all is well.
When we only have 30 amp I do not turn on the
electric element until going to bed. This way I can
use the microwave, washer/dryer without worry.

The electric element keeps the system hot enough
to run the heat through the night and maybe once
the diesel burner will kick in.
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:20 AM   #10

I have only run into one campground that had bad power and two campground where power was lost due to a storm in all my travels. So an all electric should not be an issue, besides, you will have an generator if power fails.

"All electric", electric stove and diesel AH vs propane stove and propane AH. As mentioned above, all else is electric with power controls.

Enjoy the search.
Finally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 08:32 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbblak View Post
We are considering ordering a 2015 Tiffin Phaeton 40QBH. An expensive option (over $8k) is the all electric coach option.
Can campgrounds handle this kind of electric load? Will we be rotating appliance usage to avoid constant kick outs?
We are concerned that the hookups available will not handle the load of the large MH.
We will not be dry camping much.

Is the factory ahead of the campgrounds?
Your experiences,thoughts would be appreciated.
Should we save our money and leave the gas in the coach?
We always take a 2 week trip south during the middle of the winter and after having to deal with a smallish propane tank for the last few years (and getting off route to search for propane more than once) my next coach, whenever that is, will definitely be all electric.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:33 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
All of the "All-Electric" coaches I know have hydronic heating with a diesel burner. You can heat for a lot longer on a full tank of diesel than a full tank of propane.

Thanks! Learn something new every day!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:37 AM   #13

One size does not fit all! No right or wrong in this mix. And as mentioned, most 'all electric' coaches have Aqua/Hydro Hot options too.

A few opinions:

-Be careful of the battery bank size in some of the earlier all electric rigs, especially the mid level models with all electric options. (Many have upsized their banks, so may not be a problem, but worth knowing the battery bank capacity...)

-If you feel you may want to boondock quite a bit. Then the propane does provide more flexibility to you. However, a good size Solar Panel system can make boondocking a non issue. And of course, the generator can be run a bit longer...

-Inverter. Many of the first few years of All Electric optioned coaches carried Modified Sine Wave inverters. They'll work, but some appliances just are much happier being fed via a Pure Sine Wave inverter. (I know of several people who have had to replace/repair Convection/Microwave combos. A few, now going on their 3rd or 4th replacement. Again, Modified will work, but if shopping for an All Electric - suggest looking for PSW, or budget planning to upgrade to it.

If ordering New, like the Tiffen you mentioned. I would look into negotiating the PSW (if not already stock) and perhaps a larger battery bank into the purchase. And I would spec the brand and batteries that you wanted. Even if this ends up having to be a dealer swap out or upgrade. You never have a better advantage on doing so, then when negotiating for the original purchase!

And as always, that's just my way of thinking. If you are a 'park to park' planned user, it may not be important to you.

Best of luck, and have fun thru the process,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 10:41 AM   #14

Thanks, just the information that I needed! I am somewhat familiar with loadshed concepts so it makes sense to go all electric.
Thanks again.
rbblak is offline   Reply With Quote