Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-07-2019, 10:21 AM   #1

Thumbs up New DP Owner; Need Some Questions Answered Please!

Hi everyone, we just purchased our 2016 Thor Palazzo 36.1. After a thorough 6 Hour RV inspection, we purchased it for 119k, which I think was a good deal. I received 6 new tires out of the deal too.

Being new to the DP family, I was hoping someone could address some questions for me.

1. While plugged into shore power, with the switch on "USE", and the rig having solar power, after about a week or so,the coach says low battery voltage before starting. It is able to start, but I don't understand why it would be low voltage if plugged in and trickle charging by solar? I keep my inverter off, but I'm even told if I leave it on it automatically shuts off if connected to shore power.

2. After 3-5 days, the airbags completely deflate and the Brake Air light warning buzzes when starting the rig. Once the tanks fill everything stabilizes and the light goes off. Reading other threads, this is normal right? From my searches, I believe every coach is different, but airbags usually deflate over an extended period of time. I usually set my air suspension on "Auto".

3. When traveling, I don't believe I have an auto gen start button, or does the generator automatically start when the house batteries are low? We haven't taken the rig on our first trip yet, so I'm trying to get as much info as I can before our first outing.

Any insight would be appreciated, I have a little bit of knowledge with travel trailers, but these DP's have systems I never used before. Thanks in advance.
sw20td06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2019, 10:35 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw20td06 View Post
Hi everyone, we just purchased our 2016 Thor Palazzo 36.1. After a thorough 6 Hour RV inspection, we purchased it for 119k, which I think was a good deal. I received 6 new tires out of the deal too.

Being new to the DP family, I was hoping someone could address some questions for me.

1. While plugged into shore power, with the switch on "USE", and the rig having solar power, after about a week or so,the coach says low battery voltage before starting. It is able to start, but I don't understand why it would be low voltage if plugged in and trickle charging by solar? I keep my inverter off, but I'm even told if I leave it on it automatically shuts off if connected to shore power.
Not sure what would cause that. Some coaches charge both house and chassis batteries and some charge only house batteries when connected to shore power.

2. After 3-5 days, the airbags completely deflate and the Brake Air light warning buzzes when starting the rig. Once the tanks fill everything stabilizes and the light goes off. Reading other threads, this is normal right? From my searches, I believe every coach is different, but airbags usually deflate over an extended period of time. I usually set my air suspension on "Auto".
Yes, air bags usually deflate over several days, at least ours do. If I have it on auto leveling there is an auxiliary air pump that keeps it level, even when the main air supply is down.

3. When traveling, I don't believe I have an auto gen start button, or does the generator automatically start when the house batteries are low? We haven't taken the rig on our first trip yet, so I'm trying to get as much info as I can before our first outing.
Our coach has the Trace RC7-GS control panel which can be programmed to start the generator when the batteries get low.

Any insight would be appreciated, I have a little bit of knowledge with travel trailers, but these DP's have systems I never used before. Thanks in advance.
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:28 AM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Question #1....There can be a couple of reasons. First, your chassis batteries may not be charging while plugged into shore power. Years ago, the charging systems didn't charge both, but most modern coaches like yours, they do charge both.

There is a second reason you can see the light and is most likely. When the weather is cool or cold, there is a grid heater inside your engine. As you try to start a coach engine, that is not warm, that grid heater comes on and draws a LOT of 12 volt power until it shuts off. This will often make your low voltage light come on until the engine starts. This grid heater is why you never use engine starting spray on a modern engine.

Question #2....Most motor homes will eventually leak air after a period of time. Some will lose air overnight and some may stay up for a week or two. I've had three DP's and they all leak down after a period of time. Once you start the coach, it will need to replenish that air.

Question #3.....I'm not familiar enough with your coach to know if it has auto gen start. My guess it doesn't, unless it was an added option or the previous owner added it. If it does, you should be able to see it active in the converter/charger controller.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 12:20 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum and to DP ownership.

I believe (and those with same make and model can correct me if in error) that your coach should have an Intellitec BIRD. It should keep both battery banks --house and chassis-- charged when 1) driving, 2) plugged into shore power, and 3) when generator is running. A very condensed "service manual" is attached that will give you a description, instructions, and several troubleshooting tips ...again, it's not comprehensive but will at least give you a brief idea what a BIRD is and does.

With that said, the BIRD should keep your house batteries charged while driving. That isn't actually the primary function of an "auto generator start"

Your Palazzo, I believe, does have an auto-generator-start. The auto generator start function (AGS) is primarily used in situations when you're plugged into shore power and you lose power for any number of reasons or if you have it set to start under a low battery voltage condition when not plugged in while boondocking, etc.

You should see an AGS button on your inverter control panel (not on your driver controls). I believe your panel should look something like the one below. You can see the AGS button circled. By pressing the button, you should be able to set the parameters to trigger the AGS.

Thor Palazzo inverter control panel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Thor_Palazzo_inverter panel.png
Views:	47
Size:	290.1 KB
ID:	262820  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BIRD Intellitec condensed Service Manual.pdf (102.2 KB, 17 views)
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 01:12 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
I don't have anything to add to the information already provided on the first two issues, but regarding auto-start for the generator: On mine, turning the key will disable the auto-start, so once I am set up for the stay (done turning the key on and off to get slides out, levelers, etc.) I then can enable the auto-start for the generator, after which it will kick on if the AC/Heat pump or low battery voltage requires it. Interestingly, the AC demand will not violate the quiet time setting I entered, but a low battery voltage will cause the generator to start regardless of the time. I suppose this makes sense, in that you don't want whatever loads are drawing down the batteries to run them down to the point that they are insufficient to start the generator.
Old 10-08-2019, 09:44 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Some brands/models of coaches do not charge the chassis battery from shore power, but it's easy to add that feature with a gadget called a Trik-L-Start.

Your solar trickle is probably negligible, even in full sun. If even a bit of shade over it, zero.

Quote:
Air suspensions always leak to some degree, so yes it is normal. Also, some suspensions "dump" all the air out when leveling, to get the coach lower to the ground. The air system is designed to refill itsle f whenever the engine starts and the compressor begins to run. The alarm sounds as long as the air pressure is below the minimum for the air brakes (usually about 60 psi).

Quote:
Even if you don't have AGS, the engine alternator will charge both chassis and house batteries. It should not be necessary to run the genset while driving unless you want to, e.g. to power the roof a/c or whatever.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:49 AM   #7

The low voltage lite is common on newer diesels at startup. As mentioned it has intake grid heaters for faster warmups.

If you don't yet have a multi meter, its time to get on anyway.

While on shore power for a day or so, even a week, before doing anything else, check the voltage on the chassis batteries.

If they read below 12.4 volts or so, then you may have a problem. If over 12.7 volts, your good to go.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:30 AM   #8

Thanks for all the tips everyone.

I can see why the voltage may be low at start up with a grid heater drawing more power. I definitely need to get some type of monitor or multi meter to see the battery voltage. I was thinking of getting the Scanguage D model. I used the scanguage in my other vehicles so it might be a worthwhile investment. I always assumed when plugged in, the coach would charge all batteries like in my travel trailer. I do have the panel "theroc" mentioned, but I have no idea what the buttons do, but I better learn quickly. And I do see that I have the AGS button. I haven't been able to sit down and learn all the features of the panel yet. I assume I would set the system to turn on the generator when a certain low voltage incident occurs. Wouldn't I want it to be set to run let's say if I have the refrigerator on? Will the engine alternator be able to keep up the charge of the house and chassis batteries if the fridge is running? I though solar would provide more juice, but I guess that depends on how many panels, shade, etc.

I don't believe I have an air leak based on everyone's comments here. I was never told I should dump my airbags before leveling and I don't believe it does it automatically when leveling unless I am mistaken. I will have to pay more attention when I try it this weekend. It does seem like common sense to make the coach lower to make the leveling jacks closest to the ground. This is all new to me, so forgive my ignorance. I just didn't know what to ask.

Thank you again to everyone who provided answers to my questions.
sw20td06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:59 AM   #9

[QUOTE=sw20td06;4988801

. Wouldn't I want it to be set to run let's say if I have the refrigerator on? Will the engine alternator be able to keep up the charge of the house and chassis batteries if the fridge is running? I though solar would provide more juice, but I guess that depends on how many panels, shade, etc.

Thank you again to everyone who provided answers to my questions. [/QUOTE]

The engine charging system will easily handle the fridge on inverter power. Your only looking at 10 to 20 amps @ 12 volts DC

It will definitely output more power then solar panels.

Should have a minimum of a 160 amp alternator.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 05:04 PM   #10

sw20td06, from what I can tell looking at your Palazzo brochure and the Thor specs, it indicates you do have BIRD and definitely have AGS.

Here are somes video you can look at to help you if by chance, you don't have the Magnum manual ...you probably have the ME-RC50 panel but if you don't, one very similar in function --the first one walks you through the AGS function, the second is the general basic function tutorial:

theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:00 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Motorhomes come in a broad price range, so it shouldn't be surprising that yours may not have all the whiz-bang features that a high-end model might enjoy. However, based on what theroc found it appears you have at least some of the nice ones.

Your trailer didn't have separate house and chassis power systems, so some of these power management questions never came up. It's a much more complex environment than the trailer.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 10:34 AM   #12
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"sw20td06".....If you want to setup your Magnum Inverter/Charger properly, call Magnum. They will walk you through each setting that is appropriate to YOUR coach. You need two things when you call. You need to know the brand, amp size and number of batteries you have so they can do the math on your settings. Second, you need to be standing in the RV at the panel when you call them. They will provide charging rate settings, low battery settings, and several others that fit your battery bank. This is important, as the correct settings will prevent excessive battery acid issues.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote