Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Engine replaced in gas motorhome. 36 month unlimited mile warranty.
Benefit 33 82.50%
Negative 7 17.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2022, 03:00 PM   #1

New engine, Benefit or Negative?

If you were shopping for a used gas motorhome would it be a benefit or a negative if the engine was replaced after 30,000 miles? The replacement only has 3,000 miles on it and has a transferrable 36 month/unlimited mileage warranty.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2022, 03:04 PM   #2

With the warranty, I would put that in the plus column.
If the original motor had an issue, one would presume the manufacturer figured out the issue and fixed in on future units.

Any ideas why it was replaced? If it was due to owner negligence, then I would move this to a negative column, in that they may not have maintained other aspects of the unit.
2012 Ram 2500 Laramie with CTD & 4:10 gearing
mmartin_tdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 05:31 PM   #3

Not owner negligence. From what I understand it was just one of those things where engines are made by people and this one failed. It was a V10 only 6 years old when it died. The rest of the RV looks almost new. It was definitely maintained with what looks like loving care.
Old 07-29-2022, 05:37 PM   #4

Huge plus.. ++
Mr Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 05:40 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Replaced engine with a warranty is always going to be a benefit. The original engine had more miles on it and presumably no warranty remaining.

As stated before me, any defect might have been corrected in the rebuilt engine, as well.

Gotta have all the paperwork and be sure service is up to date, on time & with records. Keep the warranty valid.
code2e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 05:44 PM   #6

Who is warranting it? If it is a well known reman engine supplier, probably ok. The devel is in the details. Read the warranty statement and make sure you understand and agree with the coverage.
jaydee325 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 05:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydee325 View Post
Who is warranting it? If it is a well known reman engine supplier, probably ok. The devel is in the details. Read the warranty statement and make sure you understand and agree with the coverage.
Warranty directly through Ford.
Old 07-29-2022, 05:56 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heartland RV Club
i dont think the warranty on a Ford crate engine is transferable.
F239141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 06:30 PM   #9

if the coach is as clean as you said you probably wouldn't have questioned the engine at 30,000 miles. Why wouldn't it be better with a Ford new/rebuilt engine. I have to wonder, why the question??
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 06:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by F239141 View Post
i dont think the warranty on a Ford crate engine is transferable.

Not according to the document I was given. It had this in it
“In order for the Dealer or Installer to claim under the Limited Warranty, the Dealer, Installer or customer (whether original customer or subsequent transferee) must provide the original owner’s repair order or sales slip when repairs are requested”
Old 07-29-2022, 07:30 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
if the coach is as clean as you said you probably wouldn't have questioned the engine at 30,000 miles. Why wouldn't it be better with a Ford new/rebuilt engine. I have to wonder, why the question??
Looking at some other threads started by the OP, I believe it's his own MH that had a blown engine. Reading more - it looks like his replacement reman engine from Ford was bad.
Old 07-30-2022, 09:47 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
From the way I have seen some gas motorhomes driven, it is no wonder they have problems. The V-10 is basically a higher rpm engine, but it was never meant to be driven at 75 mph plus all day long. The people that I have seen with issues on the V-10 are the ones that hit the interstate and if the speed limit is posted at 75 mph, they are going to drive at 80 mph. First they complain about the horrible fuel economy then they are complaining about engine repairs.

We had a class C with the V-10, and we ran 65 mph, maintained the engine and we never had any issues. A friend had an F250 pulled a 30 Ft travel trailer and put well over 200,000 miles before he sold the RV. Again, he maintained the truck and did not expect it to be a race vehicle.

In short, there is nothing wrong with the V-10, as long as it is driven correctly and maintained. Why did they have to replace the engine at such low mileage? Who knows. It is a mechanical device and like all mechanical devices, they are subject to failure.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 11:28 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
From the way I have seen some gas motorhomes driven, it is no wonder they have problems. The V-10 is basically a higher rpm engine, but it was never meant to be driven at 75 mph plus all day long. The people that I have seen with issues on the V-10 are the ones that hit the interstate and if the speed limit is posted at 75 mph, they are going to drive at 80 mph. First they complain about the horrible fuel economy then they are complaining about engine repairs.

We had a class C with the V-10, and we ran 65 mph, maintained the engine and we never had any issues. A friend had an F250 pulled a 30 Ft travel trailer and put well over 200,000 miles before he sold the RV. Again, he maintained the truck and did not expect it to be a race vehicle.

In short, there is nothing wrong with the V-10, as long as it is driven correctly and maintained. Why did they have to replace the engine at such low mileage? Who knows. It is a mechanical device and like all mechanical devices, they are subject to failure.

Ken
Exactly, drive within the limits. That's how my old Pace keeps on truckin'.
It's not a race, 62-65 all day.
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 10:52 PM   #14

I might have voted positive if it were truly a new engine, maybe. But I'm not interested in a remanufactured/rebuilt, even if it was from Ford or a well known shop. And even with a new engine, its install is only as good as the person(s) that installed it.

I might have to go that route one of the days if mine ever dies on my old rig but probably wouldn't consider buying a vehicle that I knew had a rebuilt engine.

Tags
engine