Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2020, 05:17 PM   #1

New GC2 6 volt wet battery charging

We bought 4 new Interstate 6V wet batteries and have a couple months before needing to swap out. Local Costco had a new batch come in stock, with date code 10/20 at a price of $98 each

Our set up is series / parallel

Thinking of linking up the batteries in series / parallel on the bench and put on a 12v smart charger until it goes into float charge before swapping out. Yes/No?

Checked each battery they are all testing at 6.3V. Would it be important to get a base hydrometer test on new batteries?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2020, 05:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichnSue View Post
We bought 4 new Interstate 6V wet batteries and have a couple months before needing to swap out. Local Costco had a new batch come in stock, with date code 10/20 at a price of $98 each

Thinking of linking up the batteries in series / parallel on the bench and put on a 12v smart charger until it goes into float charge before swapping out. Yes/No?

Checked each battery they are all testing at 6.3V. Would it be important to get a base hydrometer test on new batteries?
It is my opinion that you don't need to do hydrometer readings on a new battery. Also, I would keep them charged if they will sit for a few months and I wouldn't let them freeze! Sounds like you got them for a great price. Once you install them your RV charger should top them off and maintain them if you plug in.
iluvuk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 05:46 PM   #3

I'm not sure it will make a big difference but it certainly won't hurt. I'm the curious OCD engineering type and its nice to have a good base line of SG and V of new battys after full charging and sufficient time w/o charge or discharge to get good readings. You will have good data to make future comparisons to.
No downside I can see.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 06:24 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Every battery I buy goes to my workbench first and I hook up a charger to top it off. I let it sit overnight and check the voltage. I only do one at a time.

After that I install it in whatever vehicle I bought it for and attach the sales receipt in a zip lock bag to it.

If it's a battery that takes water I make sure it's full before charging it.

Last year I switched to 6 volt AGM batteries ($179 Sam's Club) in my coach. No more checking water levels!
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 06:41 PM   #5

Arch Hoagland, your comment about water brings up another point I just thought of.

Looking down into the cells the "fluid" I assume acid being new, is 1/8" above the plates, 1/2 below the plastic case "tube"

Where should the top of level be? Remember brand new 10/20 sticker

LOL update, I pull off the Interstate sticker to move to the other side, it was covering an etching which I believe is the real date code, 04/20 and a time stamp of 4:23. Interesting all four batteries are within 10 minutes of each other "born on date"
Old 11-02-2020, 07:11 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is a split ring that I fill my batteries up to with distilled water. Every wet battery I've ever purchased was a bit low on water.

Had a friend who worked for a battery company, he would go around to retail outlets and take the batteries with older dates back to their facility and sell them at a reduced price...kind of like the "Day Old Bread Store"

Where did you buy your batteries?
Old 11-02-2020, 09:07 PM   #7

Sent an email to Interstate customer service asking the proper Electrolyte fluid level for the GC2 golf cart batteries I bought from Costco, they sent me this reply.

1/8” Below vent well maximum or
1/2” Above the plates minimum

I measured the space from the top of the plates to the vent well lower edge (split ring) it is 1-7/16”.

I also found this “How to test and charge your golf cart battery” which has the same info on electrolyte level plus a lot more. There is a warning at the end of Step 2 that states “Do not overfill. Maximum Electrolyte level is 1/8” below vent well”.

http://www.lichty.org/MiscImages/BatterySpecs.pdf

Hope this helps.
JaminSamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 09:18 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'd be curious how they expect you to measure 1/2" and 1/8" etc.

I've got enough holes in several shirts to tell you I wouldn't stick a ruler of any sort into a wet cell battery.

That's why I fill to where the water just touches the split ring.

For those of you who have never worked with wet cell batteries be aware that the acid is dangerous. I wear goggles when using a hydrometer.
Old 11-02-2020, 10:24 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
I'd be curious how they expect you to measure 1/2" and 1/8" etc.

I've got enough holes in several shirts to tell you I wouldn't stick a ruler of any sort into a wet cell battery.

That's why I fill to where the water just touches the split ring.

For those of you who have never worked with wet cell batteries be aware that the acid is dangerous. I wear goggles when using a hydrometer.
A piece of rubber can be used safely as a dipstick to help determine electrolyte level. I couldn’t agree more on the use of PPE when servicing batteries, I wear a face shield and rubber gloves myself.
JaminSamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 02:45 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

You guys are making this much to hard. A level "somewhat above the plates" and a "little below" the split ring" is fine. You can do it with your eyeball (suitably protected, of course!).
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 03:32 PM   #11

Do not top off batteries before you charge them, the acid warms and expands during charging.

Then Trojan recommends 1/8 " below the split ring. That means a little bit.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 04:35 PM   #12

Maybe a dumb question, will adding distilled water diminish the battery power?

The batteries are fully charged now.

Each cell could use a little water there remains 1/8" acid above the plates, 1/2" below the split ring
Old 11-03-2020, 04:47 PM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Nope!

Go ahead and top up with distilled water.
Old 11-03-2020, 07:18 PM   #14

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichnSue View Post

I wouldn't bother. Just install and go for it and for charging like you always would, within the coach itself.
I've changed out house batteries while on the road. Once in a Sam's lot and once in a campground and then for continuing on my way.
My last time was with AGM's and for doing so in my drive way. Plugged in the coach when completed. That was back in 16 and hope to get a few more years out of them.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging