Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2016, 09:01 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
New gen set start switch location

I would like to have a generator start switch next to my bed. At the bedside I currently have an on/off switch for the dock lights that I never use. There is also a dock light switch next to the gen start switch on the dash of the coach.
Would it be possible to splice into that dock switch wiring at the dash and the gen set on/off switch then add another gen set switch in the bedroom using the dock light wiring to complete the circuit?

I know I'm not stating this very well but I just want to use the existing dock wiring to add another generator switch to the bedroom.

Thanks
Steve
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2016, 10:18 AM   #2

If I understand correctly you just want to add another gen start/stop switch. Probably can't use the existing wiring nor the actual switch. There are 4 or 5 wires needed depending on your genset.
Yes this can be done. It is just like adding an Auto Gen Start. I added one to mine a couple weeks ago. You can run brand new wires if need be but I was able to track down the existing wires for the genset start/stop switch at the ash and simply tapped into them (spliced in). Works great.
It might take a little research on your part depending on what generator you have but the process would be similar. Might want to look at the wiring for an AGS so it makes a little more sense.
Old 12-14-2016, 11:34 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer Guy View Post
I would like to have a generator start switch next to my bed. At the bedside I currently have an on/off switch for the dock lights that I never use. There is also a dock light switch next to the gen start switch on the dash of the coach.
Would it be possible to splice into that dock switch wiring at the dash and the gen set on/off switch then add another gen set switch in the bedroom using the dock light wiring to complete the circuit?

I know I'm not stating this very well but I just want to use the existing dock wiring to add another generator switch to the bedroom.

Thanks
Steve
I don't think it will be as complicated as adding a AGS. I just added an AGS also. It does involve three wires that go to the generator, one of them is the sense wire that actually just tells the AGS when the generator is running. As I remember it, the generator starts when you put the 12VDC on it by depressing the switch. Pushing the switch the other way either removes the 12VDC or grounds the 12VDC to turn off the gen. Sorry I don't remember which. The point is that you may have to change the style of switch in the bedroom but if the wire gauge is correct, and your coach uses conventional wiring as opposed to multiplexing, you should be able to do what you want. I am not an expert but it sounds doable.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 11:54 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Does your switch also have a priming function?
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 06:45 PM   #5

my guess if the dock switch is just an off switch you might be able to use it too start the generator but not turn it off as the Gen switch does, you will need a rocker switch that stays in the center postion and can be toggled one way or the other which would give you the start and stop function. It would not be hard to wire one in if you can identify the 3 wires you need to use but with the internet it shouldnt be hard to figure out
Old 12-15-2016, 09:21 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
thanks for the thoughts. I think I can make this work. there are three wires going to the bedroom dock light switch and they are pretty thick not sure of the gauge #. I'm going to open up the dash today and see what I have there and the back of the gen switch. If it works I will install a new rocker switch just like the dash gen start switch in the bedroom.

If it works I will post results.

Again thanks for your help.
Steve
Old 12-16-2016, 10:18 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
You could buy a second switch without hour meter.

Cummins Onan Remote Start Stop Only Switch RV QD | 300-4942 - Norwall PowerSystems
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 08:41 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
Thanks Chuck, that is just what I need.

now I need to figure out how to use the wires from the dock lights to wire it up. I could probably buy a "Y" wiring harness and run wires from the front to the bedroom but that would be a PIA. Would rather use the three wires that are already there for the dock lights.

Thanks again
Steve
Old 12-17-2016, 09:31 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfer Guy View Post
Thanks Chuck, that is just what I need.

now I need to figure out how to use the wires from the dock lights to wire it up. I could probably buy a "Y" wiring harness and run wires from the front to the bedroom but that would be a PIA. Would rather use the three wires that are already there for the dock lights.

Thanks again
Steve
If the dock light switch is close to the gen start switch on the dash, just splice into the dock light wires on the dash that go to the back. Disconnect the wires at the dock light itself and cap them off or maybe run those wires into a bay where they will be easy to get to. Replace the light switch in the bedroom with a gen type switch and hook it up. Should be easy.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, switch