Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2022, 08:21 PM   #1

New member checking in

Hi, this is my first post. Recently retired and looking to purchase a used DP motor home. Budget $85k
Looking at:
02 country coach 36ft, 400hp, 62k miles
05 beaver Patriot Thunder, 41ft w/tag, 525hp, 88k miles
06 fleetwood Revolution, 41ft, single axle, 400hp, 62k miles
Any input on the good or bad for these coaches would appreciated. Country coach, no details, no brochure. Best floor plan is the fleetwood but 41ft seems long for a single axle (gross 34k). The beaver seems very heavy ( can’t find an empty weight), gross is listed as 43.6k.
Thanks for your input
D2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2022, 03:47 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi, my first RV was a used DP. 77k miles. 2000 Itasca . Few things to consider.
If low mileage prob means that it sat at a campground, AC used a lot. along with other things, Mine was a 37 ft long. Had a basement AC unit, 2 compressors. Found out later one didn't work. So depending on where you live or will be living, check make sure when its hot out ac works. What type of Frig is in the units. Residental, or propane/elec. New 12Volt works so much better.
Tires check the DOT label on them usually even tho thread is great looking 7yrs they should be replaced. I seen a unit where rear tire blew, took out rear bedroom. The tire cost = $$$$. Look at what you may have to put into the RV.
Along with are they still making them. Few yrs ago lots of them went belly up.
Old 01-25-2022, 07:47 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

We ae glad you joined us. Congratulations on your retirement. There is a wealth of RV info available to you here just by asking. Browse the forums that interest you and don't be afraid to ask questions as our members like to help when they can.

Post often and share your, soon to be, RV adventures with us. Enjoy the forums.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 08:52 AM   #4
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Get out there and kick some tires!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 09:16 AM   #5

I sold all three of those DPs new in 2002.
The Thunder is indeed heavier, because it was equipped with the bigger Cat engine. Which is the main reason it has a tag. Custom chassis. Great coach though, and very fast acceleration and torque for uphills. Not very agile.
The Country Coach was a good coach too. Better ride and handling due to independent front suspension. Custom chassis. Try to find a CC Magna of the same year if you can. Far better coach.
The Fleetwood was the poor sister of this group. Cheaper materials, and many more customer complaints. Although, by now prior owners have probably worked out all the kinks. As I recall, it had a freightliner chassis. Felt a little light front end steering.

If all are the same price the Thunder will be the better buy, if you don’t mind having the higher maintenance cost of the 525.
Old 01-25-2022, 12:21 PM   #6

Adding to my prior post:
In the three years I sold DPs:
I only took in one CC trade, and that one was traded for another CC (Magna)
I took in two Beaver trades, one up-trade from Monterey to new Thunder, the other traded for a lightly used Sig (Monaco built same place as Thunder)
Had three people attempt to trade Fleetwoods. Two unsuccessfully because owners felt we weren’t giving them enough for their trades. Fleetwoods brought below book because we couldn’t sell used ones for book. IMHO, Fleetwoods we’re not bad coaches. They just weren’t as well built as the top brands and they got a bad reputation. But a savvy Fleetwood buyer could buy a used coach in good condition at a price way lower than other brands.

Tags