Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2018, 08:54 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
New Member - DP Question

Hello everyone
I am looking to purchase a used DP in the winter/early spring. I would like 42-45 feet. Ideally $150k or under. It also has to be under 10 yrs old (I will be financing). I need a bath and a half.
I like the look of the Entegra, American Coach & Tiffin.
I would love some feedback.
Skivvieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2018, 09:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skivvieboy View Post
Hello everyone
I am looking to purchase a used DP in the winter/early spring. I would like 42-45 feet. Ideally $150k or under. It also has to be under 10 yrs old (I will be financing). I need a bath and a half.
I like the look of the Entegra, American Coach & Tiffin.
I would love some feedback.
This active post might be of some help - http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/how-...-a-407961.html

Hope this is of some help,

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 09:47 PM   #3

I would add Newmar to your list.
A 10-year-old Dutch star will have comfort drive.
Old 09-23-2018, 02:27 PM   #4

Welcome to the forum!

I know you may dismiss my suggestion as it appears you want a more "luxurious" coach but you might want to check into a used tag-axle Winnebago Journey 42E. One of the reasons I even mention this coach is that even though it's not considered a luxury coach, it gives a lot of bang-for-the-buck as many Winnebago models do.

Another reason is that friends of ours purchased a new one back in 2012 and just love it. It happens that they had a 2007 40' Tiffin Allegro Bus before they traded it in on the Journey. They figured the Tiffin they owned must just have been the one lemon in the bunch of very reliable Tiffin products. They just had all kinds of problems with the Tiffin and had it in the factory in Alabama more times than they now can even remember. However, with the Journey, they've had very good luck with it so far with no trips to Iowa to complain to the factory reps, etc.

He's really impressed with the Freightliner Maxum chassis that are used on some Winnebagos. It's a proprietary chassis spec'd by Winnebago. He told me that he can't imagine any comparable coach having better ride and handling characteristics. It has a low center of gravity and he claims "rides and handles like a dream." Lot's of pass-through storage too.

One of the reasons they started looking at Winnebagos is that we've owned several and have been very happy with them and that included two older model Journeys/Itasca Meridians. We've always had good factory and dealer support and have been able to get parts and accessories very easily and for good prices through the years. We also are very devoted to FCCC (Freightliner Custom Chassis Corporation) as we really like their factory support system and ease of finding parts and service.

So, instead of purchasing a ten year old American Coach, for instance --and I'm sure will be very nice-- you might be able to purchase for the same price, a much newer Winnebago Journey 42E or perhaps even move up to a Winnebago Tour 42qd (a bit more luxurious) as an example that may have much less wear-and-tear than a comparably priced Entegra or American Coach. However, both a ten-year old Entegra or American Coach being so well-made, may and probably will still be in very good condition.

Sure, many will disagree with what I just said but it's like Chevy vs Ford ...it will be fruitless trying to argue which is "the best." Many on this forum are devoted Tiffin or Newmar owners. That's fine ...both Tiffin and Newmar are excellent. It's just that we've had surprisingly very good luck with Winnebago products through the years so have tended to be more loyal to them. Others may have had a lemon Winnebago so will argue against them.

Here are two examples of used Winnebagos that were for sale ...both are old ads but you can at least get an idea:

2012 Winnebago Journey 42E

2013 Winnebago Tour 42qd
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 03:01 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
This is exactly why I posted on here to get feedback and options I haven’t thought about.
Yes, I haven’t thought about the Winnebago. I am going to the N.C. RV show this weekend in Greensboro. They are going to display the Winnebago Journey & Tour. I will be excited to see them..

I am not going to be using it as a full time RV just weekend and vacation get aways.

The other problem I have with a 10 yr old unit.. if I keep it a few years and decide to upgrade.. did I just “shoot myself in the foot” and can’t upgrade very easy because most buyers need financing too and they can’t finance it because it’s now 12-13+ yrs old?
Old 09-23-2018, 03:02 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Busskipper View Post
This active post might be of some help - http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/how-...-a-407961.html

Hope this is of some help,

Yes it has! Thanks..
Old 09-23-2018, 05:24 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I think those high end coaches are going to be out of your budget range. A 10 year old 45 ft Eagle is still well over $200k (NADA value). Even a Winnie Tour is going to be around $160k or so. You can get into a 2010 42 ft Tiffin Phaeton for around $150k, I think.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 05:30 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I think those high end coaches are going to be out of your budget range. A 10 year old 45 ft Eagle is still well over $200k (NADA value). Even a Winnie Tour is going to be around $160k or so. You can get into a 2010 42 ft Tiffin Phaeton for around $150k, I think.

Hey Gary,

The $150k is ideal. You are right, unless it’s a quick sale,.. I am probably going to be between the $175k-$200k range.
Old 09-23-2018, 05:54 PM   #9

I have to ask how you arrived at a 45' DP as your choice? You don't mention if you have or have ever owned a motorhome. If not, it's quite a step to dive into debt on a pricy motorhome for the first one. Just a wondering mind here.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 08:20 PM   #10

Check out RV.org. They rate RVs and have information on the selection and the dealing process.
Sco70ttie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:48 PM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Better get busy! You've got a lot of tire kicking to do!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 09:53 PM   #12

Welcome to the forum!!

As was asked before, is this your first RV?
Old 09-23-2018, 09:56 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You just never know what you might find when looking. Hopefully there will be something out there in your price range in good enough shape.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:31 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePowells View Post
Welcome to the forum!!

As was asked before, is this your first RV?

No, I have grew up with TT, Fivers & Motorhomes. I sold my airplane and transitioning back to RV’s after about 12 yrs with the aircraft.

Tags