Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2015, 07:34 PM   #1

New Member looking for a New Class A gas.

Looking for a Class A gas with bunks and a king bed along with 1 and a 1/2 bathrooms atleast. Does anyone have any recommendations and why? Thank you
streetreaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2015, 08:18 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

That's a whole bunch of large items for any RV interior...best luck.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 08:33 PM   #3

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetreaper View Post
Looking for a Class A gas with bunks and a king bed along with 1 and a 1/2 bathrooms atleast. Does anyone have any recommendations and why? Thank you
Look at the Canyon Star 3710 by Newmar. It is 37 on the 26000# gas chassis that few have. It has the King and the galley on a solid wall. It would be easy to get them to reconfigure the slide for some bunks instead of a big sofa. But the floor plan is good for kids because it has the bath and half.

http://www.newmarcorp.com/motor-coac...rplan-options/

As you look at the available space, you would have to ask, where in such a luxury master suite coach (king and private rear bath) would you have room to put bunks.

The other option depending on how many bunkers you have, let two sleep on the sofa bed and two sleep on the dinette booth bed.

Newmar quality is superb. I have a 10 year old Scottsdale that was renamed to Canyon Star. Sweet coach.
Old 12-26-2015, 09:12 PM   #4

We were just looking for bunks ourselves. Have you looked at the Fleetwood Bounder 36H. It has all 3.
Winnebago Vista LX 35B has the bunks and 1 1/2 bath -- but is a queen bed.
Newmar Baystar Sport 3306 has 1 1/2 bath, bunks, queen -not sure if there is a king option.
Winnebago Forza 38R is a diesel and is a queen but has the bunks, 1 1/2 baths and has flexible uses for the bunks.

We decided to move away from the bunks in our Greyhawk class C 31FS and moved to the drop own bunk on our new Winnebago Sightseer 33c class A. Our kids were getting tall for the bunks that are not meant for almost adult size boys. If we had stayed with bunks on the class A -- we wanted either a wider bunk or one that was 73" or more. Just something to think about depending upon the ultimate size of your bunks users.

Angie
ambrown19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 10:08 PM   #5

Thank you
Old 12-27-2015, 05:37 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Good luck on your search. Post some pictures if you find what your looking for.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 06:50 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Hope you find the perfect rig for your needs!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 07:02 AM   #8

At the moment there are 2 versions of 2016 gas Ford coaches out there. Those with the 2015 5 speed chassis and those with the 2016 6 speed chassis. In my opinion the 2016 is a definite upgrade. Also double check the size of any king size bed, some are shorter than others. If an overhead dropdown bed is acceptable in place of the bunk look at a Bounder 35K.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 10:41 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Challenger 37TB has all 3 of the OP's desired equipment.
https://thormotorcoach.com/challenger/floorplans/

Comes standard with the king bed - Denver mattress (hotel mattress maker) - not an option, so should be able to be found in dealer stock vs. a factory order.

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 12-27-2015, 02:19 PM   #10

LA Gulf Coast Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab0088 View Post
The Challenger 37TB has all 3 of the OP's desired equipment.
https://thormotorcoach.com/challenger/floorplans/

Comes standard with the king bed - Denver mattress (hotel mattress maker) - not an option, so should be able to be found in dealer stock vs. a factory order.

Best luck
Has all the benefits on paper, but is on the F-53 22,000 GVWR chassis. So you can not take much in the way of beanie weenies or extra pants. I notice they do not post the cargo carrying capacity. I suspect that if you fill the water, propane, and fuel tanks you are close to being overloaded. Ticks me off that manufacturers do this, but not surprised at Thor doing it. Not a unit high on my list of acceptable manufacturers.

I know that Newmar uses the 26,000# chassis, not sure who else. But Thor needs to in a unit this large.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:34 PM   #11

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have the Winnie 35b it has the bunks but a queen size bed. It also comes with an option of additional bed that lowers down electrically from above the driver seat. It has the galley equipment on solid wall and has 3 slides. Also has bath and a half with a huge shower. It is nice to drive and plenty of room. Built on the ford chassis.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
HerbZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 08:41 PM   #12

Yea definitely need a residential king because I'm 6'1 and my wife is 5'10 so we are long. Thank you everyone for your recommendations. What do you think of MHSRV? I like the Thor Challenger 37TB and the Forest River Georgetown 364. But I didn't know about the chassis weight. Thank you for that. We are a family of 4 and we are all tall except my 2 1/2 year old but even she's big. So do need the space. Thank you again
Old 12-27-2015, 08:58 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Has all the benefits on paper, but is on the F-53 22,000 GVWR chassis. So you can not take much in the way of beanie weenies or extra pants. I notice they do not post the cargo carrying capacity. I suspect that if you fill the water, propane, and fuel tanks you are close to being overloaded. Ticks me off that manufacturers do this, but not surprised at Thor doing it. Not a unit high on my list of acceptable manufacturers.

I know that Newmar uses the 26,000# chassis, not sure who else. But Thor needs to in a unit this large.
The Challenger line uses the "supple" 22,000LB GVWR chassis providing OCCC ratings (Occupant Cargo Carry Capacity which excludes fill of LP) in the 2,200-2,400lb range.
See: Weighing Glossary
I would think that is plenty of "stuff".

A stiffer suspension will increase the GVWR, but will also make the RV ride more harsh, because it is leaf springs - not airbags like a Diesel RV.

Oddly, Newmar still uses the term NCC despite OCCC being mandated by the RVIA since 2008. And, oddly it is Newmar having current issues with overweight chassis.

The 26,000lb chassis is useful in a rig like the CanyonStar 3921, to fill the garage with 1,500lb of toys, or the Outlaw, to fill the garage with 2,500lb of toys... but in other RV's, bigger is not always better.

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 12-27-2015, 11:30 PM   #14

You asked about considerations. As I mentioned in my post -- we had a Jayco Greyhawk 31FS with bunks. We LOVED the bunks because all the kids stuff had a place to go with a curtain. However, we did not think about their ultimate height when we bought it. The bunks were 72" long and 29" wide. My older son is now 16 and close to 5'11. His long legs hang out after pillow at head. My younger son is just now 12 is almost 5'6". He is still doing ok in the bunk -- but they have said he will be over 6' -- and a 72" bed at that width just won't be enough. So -- we were looking for either a wider or longer bunk. We found several options for families with younger kids -- but when we got into that preteen/teen stage and needed/wanted more living space as well as sleeping space -- we decided to move out of the bunk option. The jury is still out as we are waiting for our new RV to be delivered in February.

We wanted 35' or less -- so there were lots of other options around 37' that had the 1 1/2 bath and some other options. The length for us put is to a 1 1/2 bath.

Our Class C was the perfect RV for us at the time. We thought we would get more than 5 years out of it. I'd recommend watching the bunk size given your family genetics. Not all bunks have drapes -- it is a huge bonus. The single bath was never an issue for us. In the current RVs - we would have done a bunk model with the queen size drop down bunk over the cab and a sofa bed that was comfortable for sleeping. If we had the full over cab bunk (we had entertainment center over the cab) and a sofa bed -- we probably would not have sold our RV. We would have transitioned the bunks to storage and had the kids sleep forward.

Good luck in your search. Do let us know what you pick!!

Angie
ambrown19 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, gas, new member