Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2018, 05:38 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Buying a rig based on using it as a "learning tool" is expensive. Unless you can afford that learn as much as you can. Using these forums is a good tool. Unless you really need slide(s) check out the new and used Lazy Daze rv's- very high quality. Otherwise, between your 2 stated choices I'd look at the Fleetwood. We had an '05 Jamboree 31-M that was great....the one with the entertainment center over the cab. The enclosed bath floorplan was really nice- warm in the winter as you got out of the shower. Also the side aisle to the bedroom with the floor to ceiling windows in the hall. Anyway- all these are individual choices. Floorplan is a #1 key issue when choosing and rv. Research is fun- take notes, make check lists of must-haves and stay away from Thor and Forest River products! Try to envision that your rig will be with you for some years to come....think of how you'll use it- not just now but 5 years down the road. Do you plan on staying primarily in rv parks or in a more natural setting (boondocking)? The outside ent center would or might be ok in that venue but maybe not in a park. An outside kitchen however sounds inviting to me...keeps people from tracking in and out. After years of rv'ing that would make some sense to me but would lessen the # floorplans you could consider. Our king bed is really great but virtually no class c's had one at the time and I'd guess it's not much different now...ours has big nite stands as well and not many rv's of any sort include those with the king bed option. Lots to consider and think about.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2018, 08:13 AM   #16

Need a little helpful advice

Pardon me while I slip in here. I too am a NUB, (Navy Slang, non useful body) concerning RV’s. Currently living on a nice 2 stateroom Trawler. Many of the systems aboard dovetail into RV. Diesel power, solar, 12v and 115v electrical, inverters, battery banks, gen set and so on. Instead of bottom jobs there are tires. Big plus, no salt water, less electrolysis on an RV but no doubt there are a number of other issues on RVs that this barefoot virgin has no idea about.

That being said, my needs are full time residence for 2, no need for anymore than sleep-rated for 4, 1 really good queen sized, then a pull out sofa. Occasional boondocks, but mostly in park. Room to retro-fit a big assed TV, 42+. I have internet searched. Seems like, for my budget $40k to $80k, 33ft to 40ft class A is about right. I am seeing year 2000 to 2010. I suspect a high quality unit, never extended live aboard kept under cover that is older than a newer lower quality build is my ticket. Seems, since the platforms (assuming they are big rig [are they?] chassis are designed for 500k miles) mileage should not be a primary concern.

With the aforementioned in mind, considering the vast multitude of builders, their models, various platforms, and so on and so on is very, very confusing She will be Diesel. I also read, so if there are books to reccomended, please do

Please help educate me, Comments appreciated. Anybody wantta buy a well maintained and continually updated 38’ Trawler? .
1Splicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:55 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
New Member, need advice on the first RV purchase

Speeed..... folks go on and on about floor plan and other things, but when you’re right at the starting gate the two questions that have to come first are:
1) how are you going to use it? Will you camp 7 or 8 weekends a year, maybe one 2- week trip? Or will you go for two long trips/year, maybe 3-4 months on the road each? Or live in your coach full time? Some RVs are made from the ground up with the first option in mind, and will never stand up for long if they are used every day for months on end. For constant use, buy high quality. It will last. That may mean you buy used, old enough to fit your budget.
2) how much room do you need? Particularly for longer time spans, buy larger than you think you need. Turning sideways to pass each other in the coach gets old fast. Having to disassemble your dinette to make a bed every night, likewise. Remember, “Too big” will last about a month. “Too small” lasts forever.
When you’re done with these issues, move on to the convenience, pretty, and “wanna have” items.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:02 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
New Member, need advice on the first RV purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Splicer View Post
.... Anybody wantta buy a well maintained and continually updated 38’ Trawler? .
Builder? Material? Power plant? Location? Age?
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 09:29 AM   #19

Country Coach Owners Club
STOP!!!!! Go to rv.org buy their product and read all the way through the book then start looking at their coach evaluations. Then start looking for what will fit your needs. The more your know the better off you'll be.
Good Luck and happy hunting.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 11:12 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
Builder? Material? Power plant? Location? Age?
Taiwan boat, Ford Leahman SP 135. 6 to 7 knot boat. <2 gal per hour. 1982 Present, Monk design. Westerbeke 6KW. Genset. 300 gallon fuel, 150 gal water. Holding tank 15gal. Suck out and overboard. Toilet to holding and overboard. Forward toilet, very seldom used-Raritan treatment system. Very good 4210 Garmin with chip, Radar, Autopilot all on network. New strata glass and canvas. Pain B- to C+. Interlux Perfection 3 part year 2011. 750 watt solar, 1135 amp @12v house bank. Completely energy Independent if no hot water or air conditioning, then it is Genset time. 3 Engle 12v Refers. 1.5 pure sine inverter for TV and coffee. New AC in Sept. big and roomy for 2, ok for 4 as guest. $65k
Old 10-28-2018, 07:58 PM   #21

thanks everyone for your post's,
today i bought my first RV, it is a 2019 Winnebago Spirit 31G, it has outdoor kitchen, outdoor entertaiment package, bunk beds, side cameras that goes on while you are turning, etc.
im so happy with the deal 80k including all fees, taxes, tag and tittle.
speeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 10:07 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeed View Post
thanks everyone for your post's,
today i bought my first RV, it is a 2019 Winnebago Spirit 31G, it has outdoor kitchen, outdoor entertaiment package, bunk beds, side cameras that goes on while you are turning, etc.
im so happy with the deal 80k including all fees, taxes, tag and tittle.
congrats. Enjoy.... you will love it.
iluvuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 06:45 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumper9x9 View Post
STOP!!!!! Go to rv.org buy their product and read all the way through the book then start looking at their coach evaluations. Then start looking for what will fit your needs. The more your know the better off you'll be.
Good Luck and happy hunting.
I was really excited about the site until they cut off at 2011, no earlier reviews. Their digest had a subject concerning holding companies gobbling up RV manufactures. Seen in the marine industry. Boat company building GREAT boats, excellent: quality, customer response and reputation. They get bought, the MBA’s, Accountants and Finance guys that know nothing about the industry fire-retire the high paid senior talent and start riding the company’s reputation and push crap out the door. Think General Motors in the 80’s. 30 thousand mile transmissions and 10K mile diesel Oldsmobile’s and an unethical crook as CEO.

American Coach, Beaver, Monaco and Newmar and others look good, but some seem to have model subsets that may or may not have the quality level I hope for. Not flashy Plush but bones and structure. Then there are the chassis. Spartan or Freightliner? Engines (except magforce?) are pretty straight forward and dovetailed to boat’s. I know a little there, a boat is going uphill ALL the time pushing water. lotta dog piles to avoid in the yard.

Tags
advice, new member, purchase