Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2020, 09:19 AM   #1

New Member needs help! I need to buy a Class A soon and have no idea where to start!

Hi All
I live in Seattle and may be transitioning to a new job in Phoenix AZ within the next couple of months. I want to live in a Class A for a year at least, maybe more, while sell my house in Seattle and see if Phoenix is where I want to buy next.

I am looking for a used class A somewhere in the range of 100-125K max.
its just me and my wife.
I have champagne taste on a beer budget but still want quality, quality quality.
I have no pets or kids
I like bells and whistles.
so far I have seen that maybe a cummins is the better engine?
I am researching all I can but I may need to get into something quickly,,,I know thats not how its suppose to be done but it is what it is,,,,
What are some good brands I should be looking at?
is a freightliner chassis the best?
Thanks!
Niblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-14-2020, 09:32 AM   #2

You will have many choices in your price range. You will get many opinions on good brands. My advice is pick the floor plan you like best and then get a professional inspection done of both the house and chassis. Don't worry so much about brand. Have fun shopping.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:39 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Better get busy, you've got a lot of tire kicking to do!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:58 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Why not just rent a park model?

It sounds like you just want to see if Phoenix is for you, so why would you buy something that will depreciate and also require maintenance just to live in for a year?

RV's are for those that like to travel around.

Maybe I have it wrong, but just my 2 cents worth.

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbleiweiss View Post
You will have many choices in your price range. You will get many opinions on good brands. My advice is pick the floor plan you like best and then get a professional inspection done of both the house and chassis. Don't worry so much about brand. Have fun shopping.

I think this is a good place to start^^, but you still need to be clear on how you intend to use your coach as that impacts livability and driving issues.

Gasser or diesel? That could depend on your intended use. No need to go the diesel pusher route if long distances and time are not a part of your plans, and your budget will go much farther in quality and features with a gasser.

If going diesel, most high quality builders use Cummins as the power plant since Caterpillar left the RV market around 2007.

As far as chassis, Freightliner and Spartan are the most common for diesel pushers but I cannot comment on which is the "best." There are some high quality coaches with their own proprietary chassis that are excellent, as well. Ford and Chevy also make chassis for class A RVs, but not for the diesel pushers, I believe.

Bottom line, give us a bit more information, toss out some motor homes you are considering, and ask as many direct questions as you need. You'll get plenty of answers
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:12 AM   #6

Thanks for the info thus far
I definitely want a Diesel
I want to buy because after I find a house I will use the RV for traveling/camping
probably will keep the length to below 35 Ft
I used to own a 21' class C when I lived in Alaska, lived and camped in that for awhile, I dont have too many requirements when it comes to floor plan other than
I like the type of "open" dinette I'm seeing in the Tiffens,,(they kind of wrap around the couch and are open on the floor side) I HATE the standard RV dinette,,I cant fit in them, I'm a big boy and I like my elbow room at the table
Old 01-14-2020, 10:39 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Just to give you an idea of prices and also have a look at floor plans, take a look at this list of sold rigs at PPL.

https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/diesel...d?pageSize=200

I realize it's in Texas, but still will give you an idea of what you can get for your $$$.

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:08 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
First off welcome to the forum.

You should find something in your price range. Visit as many dealers as you can as well as an RV show if you can to see what is out there.

Look at the various floor plans and see what works. What ever coach you decide on do have an independent inspection ( one you pay for) done before handing over any $$

Good luck.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:18 AM   #9

thanks
Old 01-14-2020, 11:29 AM   #10

Big mistake! You say you NEED? That is a horrible reason to spend 100K on a depreciating asset. That is unless your Bill Gates rich. Then you would already know the falicy of spending that much for what? A year of living. Unless your a seasoned RVer and already know what you want this is just plane foolish. You would be far better off renting for a year. Even at 2000 a month rent that what 24K a year.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:25 PM   #11
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Big mistake! You say you NEED? That is a horrible reason to spend 100K on a depreciating asset. That is unless your Bill Gates rich. Then you would already know the falicy of spending that much for what? A year of living. Unless your a seasoned RVer and already know what you want this is just plane foolish. You would be far better off renting for a year. Even at 2000 a month rent that what 24K a year.
Class A motorhome rentals around here go for closer to $2,000 a week.

At my age I no longer care about accumulating assets nor worry about depreciation. It's more about enjoying the fruits of 46 years of full time work before my health gives out or a family tragedy strikes.

Nope, not Bill Gates but I was born a few weeks before him. And I now look better than him so I have that going for me.

Ray
Old 01-15-2020, 03:33 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Reading through your thread, I'd probably go with a Tiffin or Fleetwood Discovery. So far as the dinette goes, look at one that is table and chairs vs. booth. If you like to watch TV, make sure the Floorplan is such that you won't wreck your neck to watch. Make sure your unit has nightstands. Kitchen counter space is good. Full length closet if you hang things like pants up. Just as you wouldn't buy a house without an inspection, don't buy a MH without one. Here's where yofind one: https://nrvia.org/locate/
DurangoNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 06:40 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I would strongly urge you to reconsider your decision to get a diesel. I think that a gently used Tiffin or Newmar gas class A, just a few years old, would be the best fit for you, given your list of wants (gadgets, champagne tastes, under 35 feet) and needs ($125k max budget). And you should be able to get at least a few years of good use out of it before the maintenance costs really start to ramp up.

If you do go the diesel route, you'd probably be looking at a 2001-2008 model year range. That's fine; you can get a coach that probably sold for half a million bucks or more when new. But it'll be longer than 35 feet, it won't have any fancy modern-day gizmos, and it will need repairs. Again, nothing wrong with this. Plenty of people on these forums have gone this way and love it. But from your posts, I'm not sure that's the way that you want to go.

Edit: To clarify, you can get a DP that's only ~5 years old for your price range, but it would be entry-level. If the most important thing to you is that DP experience, that could be a good option for you. But a similarly-priced gasser will be much nicer on the inside. So it's a question of which is more important to you. Based on your self-admitted champagne tastes, I suspect you wouldn't find an entry-level DP satisfactory. But maybe go look at a few in person and see how you like them.
schad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 06:59 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niblet View Post
Thanks for the info thus far
I definitely want a Diesel
I want to buy because after I find a house I will use the RV for traveling/camping
probably will keep the length to below 35 Ft.
From what you’ve told us and in something that short you do need or in many cases, want a diesel. The V10 in a 24K chassis is a pretty good rig and this is from a diesel only person.

They make front Diesel engined rigs but at best they are not real popular for many reasons.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, new member