Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2021, 12:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
I completely agree. This may be part of a larger safety problem, if no-one files a complaint it's never known about or corrected.
A complaint may be filed online. https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

I thought the US was the land of lawsuits. Surely this constitutes a major lawsuit.
After many so called professional installs I decided I could do them much better and safer myself. Done 5th wheel hitches, wiring and 2 baseplate installs myself and fixed every screwup due to manufacturers defects myself. No downtime and I know it’s done right. So fortunate to have the ability to do this myself.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2021, 09:50 AM   #16

Can anyone tell me the Torque specifications for those hitch bolts?
Badmanrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 09:55 AM   #17

Somebody just forgot to tighten some nuts. It happens all the time
Old 10-22-2021, 10:08 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Personally, I would not mess around with bolts. Have it boxed in and welded to the frame. On our Aspect the receiver was only rated for 350lbs tongue weight. We hit a dip in the road somewhere in Texas while towing our Subaru (3200lbs) and when we came out of the dip the force bent the receiver down. We were doing under the speed limit. I had it reinforced and boxed in by a competent welder.
This should never happen with such a light tow load. NEVER trust your receiver straight from the factory.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 10:30 AM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmanrick View Post
Goodntite....or, as one of my mentors once told me "son, when your thumbs parallel with your shoulder, it's tight!"
Or refer to the torque chart below...
Gotta ask yourself, how did that pass not one, but presumably two pre delivery inspection/QC checks? Sad.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 10:36 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badmanrick View Post
Use the bolt diameter (not the hex diameter) and assume grade 5 and look it up in this table.
https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-i...ed-Torque.aspx
vito.a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 10:48 AM   #21

Unhappy

Yep, the break whistle blew and when he got back he forgot what he was doing.
In most factories when the whistle blows you leave immediately because the unions will complain to the company they are not giving the employees the correct amount of time off. Therefor the companies need to strictly enforce it.
Old 10-22-2021, 11:08 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
X2 on what Fire Up said.
Your chance to fix it right and use grade 8 bolts.
At least your frame goes all the way back to the hitch.
Mine did not, so I fixed it. An FYI for all Pace Arrow owners..........

Mike in Colorado
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	288.4 KB
ID:	346874  
2004 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37c, 8.1 gasser, (Jezebel) Ultra RV ECM / TCM, plugs wires, and rear track bar, PPE deep Tx pan w/ temp gage, Bilstein's, Sailun's & Sumo's all round, pushed by a 2002 Grand Caravan, on a Master Tow Dolly OR a WR-250 on a rail.
Flyer15015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 05:27 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyer15015 View Post
X2 on what Fire Up said.
Your chance to fix it right and use grade 8 bolts.
At least your frame goes all the way back to the hitch.
Mine did not, so I fixed it. An FYI for all Pace Arrow owners..........

Mike in Colorado
Ditto on t he gr 8 bolts, a quick search will show the correct torque. And dont forget the lock washers.
Old 10-22-2021, 05:54 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesky1 View Post
I’m with you Fire Up! I prefer to handle things myself when possible. Not only due to the inconvenience of going back, but I have trust issues when someone tries to fix my stuff. Many horror stories out there. Anyway, here are the pics. Zoom in and you can see how much daylight between the hitch and frame.
I would still be that guy, send in a formal complaint , emal, mail whatever,, get then to acknowledge it.
Even if it is an I am sorry, oops,, or geez we dont know how that could happen..

just docuement incase it is a friday build.... or monday morning start up.. LOL

Sure it is an easy fix, grab hardware, I would check to see it you need grade 5 or 8.. please no debate... just see what hitch requires..

I would spend some time under that puppy..

It looks like they set it in place ad got side tracked or another guy was supposed to finish it up OOPS.. brain fart..
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 06:27 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
IMO the dealer is at fault, they get paid to do a “dealer prep” on every vehicle. But I also agree on making it right on your own if you are capable.
Also to a lot of reply’s, not everyone is capable of making repairs like this so unless they are capable they have to take it back to the dealer.
I myself (like others on here) do all my own service work and minor repairs. If you are able to do this I would purchase all new hardware, make sure the bolts are long enough that there are a few threads reviled when the nuts are tight. I would imagine the bolts are 1/2”-16 bolts & nuts and use lock washers, (I would purchase 1/2”-20 fine thread grade 8), if you insist on torquing them I would go to 70 foot pounds.
Barneyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2021, 07:18 PM   #26
NXR

Do everyone a favor and notify Thor directly as well as file an NHTSA report: https://www.nhtsa.gov/report-a-safety-problem#index

I looked at a recall notice for a 2020 Challenger and it had this email address in it: Recalls@TMCRV.com

As an example, MORryde does the "chassis uplift" for Forest River which includes installing the hitch. There was a voluntary recall when MORryde discovered that some hitches were under-torqued. Yours is way more than "undertorqued".

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...9V901-5835.PDF - Chronology section

Good luck,

Ray
Old 10-23-2021, 04:28 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
That hitch is a Reese/Lippert .. you can contact for torque specs. https://support.lci1.com/documentation/

one manual is here https://lci-support-doc.s3.amazonaws...CD-0002632.pdf universal stuff..

AS FAR AS the frame extensions mentioned by a few posters.. In your pics, the extensions done on the chassis are very nice, full height welded.. nice IMO
sibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2021, 06:09 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pesky1 View Post
Anyone know if the hitch that came with my new Challenger would have been installed by Ford on the F53 chassis or by Thor after they got the chassis? I just found that it is literally barely hanging on with only 2 very loosely connected nuts. The other 4 bolts have no washers or nuts. The receiver moves up and down several inches. I know I can easily add the other 4 bolts, washers and torque all 6 the way they should have been when I took delivery, but would like to know which company dropped the ball. Starting to get worried about future findings in my new coach.

Have you towed anything yet with your coach?

Tags
hitch, install, motor, motorhome