Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2017, 03:43 PM   #1

NEW OPPORTUNITY! Need Opinions QUICKLY!

Some of you may remember our journey to date. To recap: We found and acquired a 1992 Fleetwood Pace Arrow in exceptionally good condition as our first motorhome. It had just under 100K miles, most appliances had been barely used, it was very well maintained and stored inside for the last 8 years. The latest owner had it for 5 years and used it maybe once or twice a year to drive out to a local park with the kids. Bought it at a good price and made a few necessary repairs to make every system work at its' best. New tires, repair the propane leak (!) and thoroughly went through everything. We have been going out on a few trial runs and have had absolutely NO problems to date.

DW found an unbelievable opportunity to upgrade while looking for something else on the local CL site. Here we have a 1999 (or 2000, the owner is confused by the VIN) Pace Arrow (he says 33V, but may be confused). It has ~30K miles and in the estate of his parents. They were the original and only owner. According to the current owner, everything works, it needs an awning replacement on one of the smaller windows, the front AC is a little weak, Some tires may need replacing, but he can think of nothing else it would need.

We can upgrade for a VERY reasonable cost. If I have been paying attention, we would get:

* Updated F53 chassis (Easy upgrade, here we come!)
* Triton V10 vs 460 V8
* I think the transmission is upgraded as well
* 8 years newer
* 2 Slides (of which I can go either way. DW says she likes the extra room)
* Senior owned one owner
* Car towing hitch
* 4 tires needing replacement possibly (date code 2007)

We would be giving up:
* Larger genny
* Brand new tires
* Very comfortable layout even if it's a little cramped
* I know EVERYTHING WORKS as it should

We can upgrade to this rig for about ~$9,000 out of pocket, if we can sell our current unit for what we bought it for (shouldn't be a problem).

Would you?
Lindan n Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2017, 04:00 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I went from no slides to 2 really loved the extra space, that and the lower mileage, and newer version drive train would sway me to do the upgrade.
opbart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 05:21 PM   #3

Quote "Some tires may need replacing, but he can think of nothing else it would need."

He (being the owner's son) would probably have no idea whether or not it needs anything. You say he is confused about details. Not being deceptive necessarily, but he is not in a position to know much of anything. If you buy this without an independent inspection and fairly complete maintenance records, you are buying a pig in a poke. Upgrading by 7 or 8 years is certainly desirable, but spend the due diligence $.

What would you do with you present coach? Are you in a position to own two? Best of luck whatever you decide.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:05 PM   #4

Inspection

You make an excellent point about an inspection. I'm fairly confident about the maintenance records. He is one of a close farming family and the folks kept the MH in his outbuilding for the last few years. He used it on occasion while his folks were still around.

I didn't want to give the impression that he didn't know certain things. The confusion arises from the fact the VIN calls it a 1999, but the sales documents call it a 2000. He advertised it as a 1999. I could find nothing online for a 1999 33V, and finally found it as a 2000 33V.

We would be able to keep them both for a short period of time, at least until we can sell the first one. Want to make an offer? LOL.
Old 06-11-2017, 06:13 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
MH is a 2000 if thats what the manufacturer says it is. It's called a "split model year". By Federal law it must be registered according to what the manufacturers paperwork says it is.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:22 PM   #6

If you are in a position to own both units for six months, and after seeing and driving the 2000, it feels right, go with your gut feeling. Add the cost of six new tires along with a complete service of changing all fluids. Then add 10-15% more to your total for possible unseen problems. If you are ok with that total dollar amount to upgrade, and your gut says do it, then write the check and take it home.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 06:58 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Regarding the year, the chassis per the VIN is a 1999, the manufacturer then built a 2000 model motorhome on it. My current unit is a 2015 per Winnebago but the chassis is a 2014. My title says 2014 as goes by VIN at least in my state!
opbart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:07 PM   #8
Community Moderator

You say you would be giving up a very comfortable layout.... if the floor plan of the newer coach is awkward or uncomfortable from what you like......then it wouldn't seem like an upgrade .....something to think about....
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:22 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by opbart1 View Post
Regarding the year, the chassis per the VIN is a 1999, the manufacturer then built a 2000 model motorhome on it. My current unit is a 2015 per Winnebago but the chassis is a 2014. My title says 2014 as goes by VIN at least in my state!
Legally, all 50 states are supposed to use the RV manufacturer's model year for registration, not the chassis yr.

See here: http://www.rvia.org/?ESID=preleases&PRID=1690&SR=31

My last RV was a 1988 model, built on a 1987 Ford chassis, that was actually built (the chassis) in late 1986. Registration reflected a 1988, which is exactly how it's supposed to be done.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 07:58 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
You mentioned that he had maintenance records, and that's good. However records may not show you things that might not be in good condition. As mentioned above, make to sure to have a certified RV tech go over the entire coach. Better to find the problems before you buy it then after.

Good luck!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 09:11 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
You say you would be giving up a very comfortable layout.... if the floor plan of the newer coach is awkward or uncomfortable from what you like......then it wouldn't seem like an upgrade .....something to think about....

The layout is virtually identical to what we have, with a couple of exceptions. The toilet room is opposite of the shower/vanity area, instead of all in one room. The major difference is the slides. I ain't got none now, and therefore don't have any problems associated with them. I know DW would enjoy the extra room, however.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:20 PM   #12

This is coming from a new comer to MH's so take it for what it is worth. We recently purchased a used MH and decided not to go for slide outs based on information from other MH owners and the problems they have had with them. If your going fulltime RVing then the extra space may be a must but for occasional travel like we are planning the slide outs seem to be extra expense and extra maintenance. I look for easy and simple and minimal expense but everyone does not look at things like I do.
airshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:48 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is a big difference between the 460/tans and the newer ford chassis with the lock-up converter and higher overdrive gear ratio. Look to get way better fuel mileage. Also check the trans fluid for color (should be bright red) and smell it ( it should not have a burnt smell). Good idea to check the maintenance records to see if the trans fluid/filter have been serviced per the manufacturers recommendation. Even though it only has 30,000 miles I would change the trans fluid/filter plus engine oil/filter, fuel filter(s) and any other filter. That trans is expensive to repair!
2004 NRV Dolphin 5355, 24' Pace Shadow trailer, inside is a "2011 Hemmings Muscle Machine of the Year" and 2011 Reno, NV. Hot August Nights "Best Restored Stock Car", 1970 Olds F85 W-31, Rally Red, 4 speed, 1 of 5 in this color, only 207 built
davebw31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:36 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If in good condition, and at the money stated, the upgrade would a good one. IMHO.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote