Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #1

New or Newer RV Purchase

So the thread about "will we RV less because of gas prices" has gotten at this writing 14 pages of reply's. My question is: HOW MANY PEOPLE/FAMILIES HAVE PUT OFF BUYING THAT NEW OR NEWER RV (MOTOR HOME IN PARTICULAR) BECAUSE OF GAS PRICES?

My DW and I have been shopping to upgrade our 2000 Allegro since the beginning of the year. First we were looking used, 2006 or newer, class A with low miles etc. Well after visiting most dealers around the Western New York area of New York State and seeing that dealers are asking around 70% of original list price for 5 to 7 year old motor homes, we now are turning our attention to brand new, especially in the Georgetown line which seems to discount alot right off of the msrp. Gas Prices have not changed our thinking whether we should make the change or not. Just the usual buyers remorse thing (before we even have made a decision) as we go about looking and looking and looking.......
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2012, 02:50 PM   #2

When I purchased mine diesel was $5.00 a gallon and today it's $4.00. So for every 100 gallons I buy if it goes up 50 cents I'll pay $50 dollars more. I would not let fuel prices change my mind it's your fixed cost like insurance,taxes,purchase price decide for you. Just for reference I paid 64% of list price for a new unit. It sounds like you are doing the right thing by looking a lot and doing your home work.
Old 04-20-2012, 03:14 PM   #3

Not knowing you budget, you might want to think about a new Berkshire. We purchased ours about 1 1/2 years ago. Bought in 2010, but was a new 2009 model. Think it was a good deal at 139k. it is a 390QS DP with a 340 Cummings. Had a few problems, but haven't heard of anyone not having a few. Dealer repaired all under warrenty. goood luck.
no3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:23 PM   #4

New member here ... My thought has always been #1 do I need a change #2 Pay back
#3 Can I up grade or repair my existing unit ? Atleast you know the issues with your original .... New or different brings a new bag of issues . Good Luck
Old 04-21-2012, 03:24 PM   #5

"Dealers are asking 70% of full retail for 5-7yr old units".... am I reading this correctly?
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 03:37 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Having watched $90,000 of market value slip away in the past 10 years, I cannot envision owning another wasting asset when our rig does just fine for our purposes and has most of the key features of an upgrade rig.

Fuel prices do affect our travel decisions, but do not eliminate travel or enjoyment.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 06:12 AM   #7

Jack1234, yes you are reading that right, 70% or more of full retail. Went to Camping World and looked at a 2007 Damon Challenger with 3,900 miles on it. Original list was around $105,000 based on NADA information with options. They were asking $74,900, and get this, the left (street side) rear bumper area, since its a one piece cap not sure what you call it, the fiberglass was cracked appearing that the previous owner backed into something. I called CW and asked about the RV and was basically told that's the price period! This is just one of my shopping experiences the last few months.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:08 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
My dw and I had the same experience shopping used at CW. We made a reasonable cash offer to the sales rep, he copied my offer then showed it to the sales manager then very nonchalantly said"I'll send it to corporate and let you know in a couple of days!". By the way the mh was pretty well used! Drove back 350 miles to our home received a call three days later saying they would only fix the wipers and the price was X Quote "they were all in?". Not a good experience. Bought new from a large Fl. Dealer good experience and saved quite a lot off msrp.
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:57 PM   #9

Vincee....all I can say is "wow" .....good thing CW sell lots of other "stuff"! I have never shopped for a brand new RV, but from what I have read on this and other forums ......30% off MSRP is pretty much standard practice for new and 5-7yr old units used are usually well over 50%. Personally, I am still a big fan of letting the "other guy" take the initial big depreciation hit. I think if you take your time and do the proper due diligence & research, there are some great deals out there on some very good units.....but on the other hand....I am not the one having to do all the running around and work. Good luck.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:02 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I ignore fuel prices due to the fact that I have taken vacations via the Cruise lines and to Major Cities by Air, Hotel and sightseeing and spend far more money on these trips then I would if fuel was even $8.00 a Gallon...We have our house with us at all times so your food, room and board and alternate transportation are all inclusive elliminating many major expenses so just keep on enjoy you Home away for Home.
jabfado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:10 PM   #11

Cali or Fla is where you look for used. Might have to travel just a bit but you'll save in the end.
Let me ask you a question vincee, if you live in NY, even western NY, why would you want a M/H from NY ?.
Neil
C-Leigh Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 01:42 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Vincee, Buy used RV in Fl. and save money while getting a RV in excellent condition. Bought a 2 yr old rig from a widow and it was one of many good deals that I had to choose from. Also saved several thousand dollars in sales tax because it was used . My state has a lower sales tax for used RV's.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:36 AM   #13

C-Leigh, I thought looking in the local area would save me time a hopefully some money. Have shopped via the internet anywhere from Texas east. Avoid looking in Arizona because of the excise tax of 2% Phoenix adds, plus driving distance would add to the cost of the rig. Today as I type this my DW and I are going out to look at a 2008 Ithasca Sunrise 32H at Wilkens RV in Churchville, NY, just outside of Rochester (Kodak). They are asking $84,900, again, high for a used 5 year old, but already told salesmanager over the phone don't expect me to be paying 70% of list. After this, if things don't go well, we still are entertaining the Georgetown option, and if local that does not go well (dealing with RV Direct or Rv One on this) then we will put the Allegro up for sale private and try to give away if need be, and shop up and down the east coast to the mid west looking used.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:08 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincee View Post
C-Leigh, I thought looking in the local area would save me time a hopefully some money. Have shopped via the internet anywhere from Texas east. Avoid looking in Arizona because of the excise tax of 2% Phoenix adds, plus driving distance would add to the cost of the rig. Today as I type this my DW and I are going out to look at a 2008 Ithasca Sunrise 32H at Wilkens RV in Churchville, NY, just outside of Rochester (Kodak). They are asking $84,900, again, high for a used 5 year old, but already told salesmanager over the phone don't expect me to be paying 70% of list. After this, if things don't go well, we still are entertaining the Georgetown option, and if local that does not go well (dealing with RV Direct or Rv One on this) then we will put the Allegro up for sale private and try to give away if need be, and shop up and down the east coast to the mid west looking used.
You mentioned about not buying in Arizona.
Have a friend races with us, later part of last year, bought an American Tradition 38' D/P from Arizona, clean as could be inside & out with Cat engine for $21,000.00. Cost him a little over $800.00 to get it home.
What I didnt know or realize, the weather out there is different from our weather here in the east, no cold & damp or moisture, so hardly any damage being done to the coach, such as rust or paint damage. I never even thought of that until he was talking the other night, telling me about it.
Just an idea on my mind, to maybe save you some money.

We'll be up your way Aug 10th~12th for a race, Batavia NY area.
Neil
C-Leigh Racing is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase