Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: If you purchased your coach new, are you
Happy with your decision to purchase new. 77 81.05%
Thinking, in hindsight, that you should have purchased used. 18 18.95%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-19-2019, 07:37 PM   #15

I bought used, so I can’t vote. It is a good question. There is no right or wrong answer, because it is a Poll, not a test.

My hunch is that humans, in general, do not willingly admit to making mistakes. It doesn’t matter if it’s the purchase of a new or used motorhome, a house, a car or a pair of shoes. It will always be justified as the smartest decision that anyone could possibly make.

That said, I’m surprised it’s 7-4 right now.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-19-2019, 08:13 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
You can put me in the used category although I would consider my previous DP as new...7 months old and still with some warranty from an individual. In 2004 we started snowbirding and DPs with 4 slides were fairly new, hence the reason I bought almost new. In my life I’ve bought 2 new PU trucks and one new car (a 2003 Lexus which I still own) and the last new PU I sold recently (15 years old) and replaced it with a 10 year old one. At 14 years I had not planned on selling my 04 Dynasty (sold it to our son) so upgraded to a 10 year old rig.

Yes I looked at new DPs but between the lack of quality, bloated weights, and prices that matched their weight, it was an easy choice to buy used. You can also put me in the cash only category too.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:45 PM   #17
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
There is a reason that people who buy new rarely respond. It's like politics, if you say what you believe in and who you voted for, a bunch of nut jobs will go off on you. One of the reasons that political polls didn't work so well recently.

There is a recent thread running and when I last looked there was about 90 posts. Of those 90 posts, 80 of them were excuses why people bought used instead of new. Rather than just say, I bought what I could afford, they always criticize those who buy new. For that reason, many of us just don't post.

My two most favorite and bogus excuses by those who can't afford a new coach.....are..... depreciation and new coach problems. In 2014, I bought a brand new Dutch Star for $260K. I owned it for five years, put 45K miles on it and sold it for $200K. So I lost $12K a year, not the numbers many like to regurgitate here.

I picked up my 2019 Dutch Star in November. During the walk thru, we found the rear heat pump didn't work (A/C did), the Flexsteel armrests on both front seats were poorly upholstered and the bedroom slide wasn't adjusted to my standards. NONE of which prevented us from taking delivery or using the coach.

The A/C was replaced in a single day visit, the slide was adjusted and armrests installed in another single day visit. After a couple of trips, it was discovered that the Freightliner fan drive gearbox was leaking oil out the breather, a common issue. I added the breather extension and discovered a cracked fan blade on the engine fan. I took pictures, got Freightliner to order without bringing the coach in and then had it replaced in a single day visit. I have one more adjustment my dealer could do to my Girard awnings, but will have Girard do as a single day visit next month. So all in all, I'll have four days invested in the repair of my new coach, none of which prevented the five trips we've taken so far. I guarantee that most who buy someone else's issues will spend the same or more time getting that used coach up to snuff, while wondering why seller got rid of it!

I'm sure there will be some snarky replies buy the financial wizards living behind a keyboard, but wouldn't it be nice if people just bought what they could afford and not rattle off 80 excuses why they were smarter than someone who bought new. I worked hard for forty years, often working two jobs at a time and now I'm enjoying the fruits of my labor. You can't spend other peoples' money, so don't worry about what others spend.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:01 PM   #18

Well the poll was not complete. Many buy Used because it's what they feel is the best thing to do... I did.

The way the 'Poll' was setup - does not allow for this...

Sorry the OP missed this. But, will not add to this polls numbers...

So my answer: Bought used, and no regrets!!!

And, if I missed the intent - my apology...
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:22 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
There is a reason that people who buy new rarely respond. It's like politics, if you say what you believe in and who you voted for, a bunch of nut jobs will go off on you. One of the reasons that political polls didn't work so well recently.

There is a recent thread running and when I last looked there was about 90 posts. Of those 90 posts, 80 of them were excuses why people bought used instead of new. Rather than just say, I bought what I could afford, they always criticize those who buy new. For that reason, many of us just don't post.

My two most favorite and bogus excuses by those who can't afford a new coach.....are..... depreciation and new coach problems. In 2014, I bought a brand new Dutch Star for $260K. I owned it for five years, put 45K miles on it and sold it for $200K. So I lost $12K a year, not the numbers many like to regurgitate here.

I picked up my 2019 Dutch Star in November. During the walk thru, we found the rear heat pump didn't work (A/C did), the Flexsteel armrests on both front seats were poorly upholstered and the bedroom slide wasn't adjusted to my standards. NONE of which prevented us from taking delivery or using the coach.

The A/C was replaced in a single day visit, the slide was adjusted and armrests installed in another single day visit. After a couple of trips, it was discovered that the Freightliner fan drive gearbox was leaking oil out the breather, a common issue. I added the breather extension and discovered a cracked fan blade on the engine fan. I took pictures, got Freightliner to order without bringing the coach in and then had it replaced in a single day visit. I have one more adjustment my dealer could do to my Girard awnings, but will have Girard do as a single day visit next month. So all in all, I'll have four days invested in the repair of my new coach, none of which prevented the five trips we've taken so far. I guarantee that most who buy someone else's issues will spend the same or more time getting that used coach up to snuff, while wondering why seller got rid of it!

I'm sure there will be some snarky replies buy the financial wizards living behind a keyboard, but wouldn't it be nice if people just bought what they could afford and not rattle off 80 excuses why they were smarter than someone who bought new. I worked hard for forty years, often working two jobs at a time and now I'm enjoying the fruits of my labor. You can't spend other peoples' money, so don't worry about what others spend.
Well said!
Burnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:42 AM   #20

I am one that can afford new, but like to buy used (very used) and restore. It's part of the hobby aspect. And that I hate to spend money. I have more fun when the money is being invested, either in the general market or in my own inventions.

Designed and built the Sticks and Bricks too. It's a point of interest and when the project comes out well, a point of pride. The money saved is more just a motivation to continue working on my projects instead of paying new or hiring out someone to do the project for me.

I figure if you stop doing, you start getting old. Both the mind and the body need to be exercised every day. Since I haven't (yet) been one to go to the gym, I use DIY as a way to stay fit (landscaping, construction, sanding the RV etc).

I don't buy too many new things. Autos, motorcycles, RVs, boats, etc. I find those that I have bought new, I don't respect as much. It wasn't "my work" that made it cool. Even if my work result paid for it. Working for an auto OEM, I used to get a new car every month. That got old. I like my repainted cars better Even if others think the new car is nicer.

Ecologically, I also don't like when things are thrown away. RV is a great example. That's a LOT of landfill. This isn't a huge point for me, just an element of the decision.

Having same conversation with wife about downscaling to the next S&B. She wants to hire a General Contractor, and I want to DIY. Dusting off the CAD program soon...

My wife thinks I am nuts, but what the heck.
Old 03-20-2019, 05:48 AM   #21
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
We bought older used. We still have our 5'er to use while we are making the Class A the way we want it. When we are done we should have 1/3 the cost of a similar quality new coach and 10-20k less than a similar vintage unit that needed no work. The bones on ours are excellent just need to service accessories, do a little carpet replacement, and replace the fogged windows with laminated. After all is said and done we will have a DP unit that is designed for us with low mileage for well under 60k. There is also the added benefit of me being intimately familiar with every part of the coach in the end.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:05 AM   #22

In 2013 we were ready to upgrade with a new gas coach or a 5-7 year old DP budget. We ordered a new gas coach and never regretted the decision. I'll admit that the first 6 months had me questioning the decision, we had some electrical gremlins in the HVAC system that took some trial and error to eliminate but once they were gone it was a trouble free coach. In 2017 we had the opportunity to trade for the 2014 DP that I would have ordered had money been no object in 2013. We compromised on some things by not being able to order it per our specifications but the price was right so we traded. I now seem to be working on the DP more than I ever did the " New" gas coach but as they are both the same year model I would likely be replacing the same items on it as well. That being said, I will likely order new next time unless I find a 1-3 year old exactly like we want.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:26 AM   #23

I am a buy used fan but realize and appreciate the various reasons for both new and used.
The difficulty with a poll is two fold...
1) The results will always be biased... most will tend to justify what they did as correct
2) What value is the results? Those that agree will smile and say See I was right. Those that disagree will always disagree... because their decision was right for them and they are happy.
3) As the OP how will you use the results? Act with the majority? Go with the majority? Or is this an exercise to justify a position w a spouse?
Everyone gets to decide for themselves what their priorities are and the best course of action for THEMSELVES.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:49 AM   #24
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
I am a buy used fan but realize and appreciate the various reasons for both new and used.
The difficulty with a poll is two fold...
1) The results will always be biased... most will tend to justify what they did as correct
2) What value is the results? Those that agree will smile and say See I was right. Those that disagree will always disagree... because their decision was right for them and they are happy.
3) As the OP how will you use the results? Act with the majority? Go with the majority? Or is this an exercise to justify a position w a spouse?
Everyone gets to decide for themselves what their priorities are and the best course of action for THEMSELVES.

Exactly. We explored all avenues and waited for the opportunity that made the most sense for us. We were in no hurry to buy anything which made it easier to think clearly.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:09 AM   #25

I'll chime in on this one. I have had 4 new coach's and one used. I want to preface this with I am pretty handy and would prefer to fix something myself than have to deal with getting a coach to the dealer, drop it off, get if fixed and go back to get it. Then just hope they fixed it right and didn't damage anything else while working on it. For me it is just easier most of the time to grab the tools and get it done.

The first was a 198X (Can't remember the exact year) Shasta 23' Class C. At the time it was what we could afford. We pretty quickly out grew this one. Had zero problems other than a few adjustments I did myself.

The second was a 1994 Winnebago Brave 34' Class A. This one replaced the Class C and all though more expensive and taking a hit on the Class C we got a much better interest rate so turned out to be similar payment. No issues with this one either. But again quickly outgrew this one also and I wanted more options.

The third was a 1999 Bounder 36S. We had gone to an RV show where they were offering like a 1.9% rate and really good discount. Again we took a pretty good hit on the Brave but with the lower rate it was a modest payment increase so we bought it. This one is a different story for issues. I had nothing but problems with this one it was at the shop far more than being used. It ended up being replaced for a 2000 identical unit. We had no issues with the 2000 at all. We sold it because the kids were getting older and into sports but more than that 911 had taken place and no one was flying anymore. They all hit the roads and it was a zoo trying to drive. I spent the last trip we made from NY to FL and back going 65/70 to zero every 5 miles. What used to take me around 22 hours took us closer to 30 hours. Just crazy. We got home and put it up for sale.

When we decided to get back into RVing as we near retirement we made a list of wants/needs and since our last coach there is a lot more info online than there was back then so could do a lot more research. Going into the new one I recalled a few things I did not like about the other coach's. Namely having the engine right next to me. It was always hard to talk when on the road and impossible if climbing a hill. And all the previous coach's I recall always having my right leg feel like it was on fire. So I was sure I wanted a DP. I knew I wanted one fully loaded and of good quality. The DW wanted to keep the price down, pay cash and wait for a good deal. This was the first one we had a lot of time and in no hurry to buy. We both were on the same page we wanted to be in it for under book value in case the RVing thing was not what we remembered and wanted to turn around and sell it. Buying new was just not on our radar this time around as our most important want was to not be upside down in it.

The current Beaver became available and that's where we are now. We love this Coach it is a dream to drive and we can talk with out screaming when on the road and we are into for far less than current value.
Nasdaqsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:12 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
many of us just don't post.

You have articulated well why I was asking this specific question. I was looking for some type of indication one way or another from people who have actually purchased a new coach and had that experience from which form their opinion about the merits one way or another .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Well the poll was not complete. Many buy Used because it's what they feel is the best thing to do... I did.

The way the 'Poll' was setup - does not allow for this...

Sorry the OP missed this. But, will not add to this polls numbers...

So my answer: Bought used, and no regrets!!!

And, if I missed the intent - my apology...
Smitty

Actually the poll was complete as the intent was not to try and find out what people prefer or what they value. The poll is purposely down selecting the population to those who have purchased new and see if their experience resulted in an opinion that they should have purchased used instead. Many of the opinions that we hear on why buy used actually speak to the downsides of buying new. I am hoping to see if those that have actually bought new have had experiences to reinforce that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post

Really? Pretty snarky there don't you think? It could be that after seeing this debate a hundred times I thought it would be fun to get some different data and consider the topic differently. I have already stated my thoughts when I opened the poll so by definition I am not trying to go with the majority. And if you feel that my spousal position wrt our coach is pertinent (which it is not) Ill let you know that she was the one that drove our decision on which coach to purchase.

I agree that everyone should choose the best course of action for themselves. I didnt ask anyone what they did or why the did it. I simply asked if those who had purchased new coaches were satisfied with that decision after the fact. I'm not peeing in anyone's pool here.

J
pilotspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:22 AM   #27

Holy cow! Has this thing gone off the rails. It’s a simple question for people that bought a new coach.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 09:53 AM   #28

I guess I didn't say in my post way above....

No, I never have considering buying used and have not changed my mind.

Mark
Mr.Mark is offline   Reply With Quote