Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-09-2019, 04:56 PM   #1

New painting in Mexico thread

I am starting a new thread to post the complete experience getting an RV painted by Jesus and Cheuy of the Precision Paint crew.

I started in northern California and drove down after several calls and lots of research. The trip down was no eventful except for the terrible roads in Arizona (93 and 85). Once I left the entry border town (Lukeville) the roads were a lot better. I had all my paperwork but I was waved through.

When I got to Puerto Penasco I stopped at Autozone and called Cheuy [Mod Edit] from my Mexican cell phone (Amazon card from Tele). The first couple of times I just got a message in Spanish so I finally asked someone to translate and the message was that you don't have to dial 1 in Mexico.

Cheuy and I had arranged for me to stay at the shop. He provides water and 30 amp service (no waste drain). Since I am here for 30 days it is a little concerning for the black water but not a problem draining the gray water.

The first night I was beat so I walked the dog and settled in.

The first full day they started working on my motorhome. Most of the time so far has been sanding and removing EVERYTHING on the outside. They are splitting their efforts on the beach, on my coach, on A Dodge Ram and a Cadillac. The Ram is in primer and they are cleaning the paint room to spray color tonight. Next comes the clear and then I move in there.

Before I forget, I was given a quote (PM me) and after looking at the coach he said it would be $500 more. I have no problem with that. They also looked at the roof and recommended a new repair/seal coat. My coach is 13 years old and I agreed. Again, the price was very reasonable. I have a little damage from a lower branch in a campsite and they are repairing that. I also have 600 watts of solar panels, two fantastic fans and two ac's that they are taking off and then remounting them.

So, today is Thursday and I got here Tuesday, late afternoon. The bottom is sanded and now they have a scaffold set up for the upper half.

The ONLY problem we have had is choosing the color. They use duPont paint. To make a longggg story short, duPont sold out to Axalta 12 years ago so getting a paint code was very tough until we figured that out. If you are not going to repaint the original colors (which they can match) then visit the Axalta website and find your choices. The website is not easy to navigate but you will be able to find colors eventually.

That's it for now. Time to take the pup out for a stroll. Oh, and they lent me the company golf cart !!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0158.JPG
Views:	282
Size:	380.2 KB
ID:	245379   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0159.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	453.0 KB
ID:	245380  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0161.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	432.8 KB
ID:	245381   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0163.JPG
Views:	286
Size:	390.2 KB
ID:	245382  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2019, 06:19 PM   #2

Hi tycham,

I'm sure you checked paint shops here in the US and decided on Mexico because their price was lower... How much lower were they?
Old 05-09-2019, 06:50 PM   #3

Hey tycham,

I'm not sure if this would help your holding tank problems. I got a Macerator pump last year. I got a 1' section of 1" clear pvc hose and MacGyvered a fitting to fit my 3/4" garden hose. I used a 3" 45 degree from the tank valves to the pump. It's amazing to see it shred TP paper coming out of the pump. Just need to find a clean out or shove the hose down a toilet bowl. I haven't needed to hook a water hose to the pump. Sure is easier to dump my tanks at home after a trip than have to drive 15 miles the other way to the closest county park !!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076KT254R...b-9785a3a220f1
Old 05-09-2019, 07:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Sweat View Post
Hey tycham,

I'm not sure if this would help your holding tank problems. I got a Macerator pump last year. I got a 1' section of 1" clear pvc hose and MacGyvered a fitting to fit my 3/4" garden hose. I used a 3" 45 degree from the tank valves to the pump. It's amazing to see it shred TP paper coming out of the pump. Just need to find a clean out or shove the hose down a toilet bowl. I haven't needed to hook a water hose to the pump. Sure is easier to dump my tanks at home after a trip than have to drive 15 miles the other way to the closest county park !!

I see it says 12 volt on the side. Where do you get the power from. Do you have a 12 volt port outside or in your wet bay?
Old 05-09-2019, 07:36 PM   #5

Location: 2007 jeep wrangler toad. lifted and locked.US Army Vet 1972-1975 2nd Armored Division
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Sweat View Post
Hey tycham,

Sounded to me like he had no hookup to drain his black tank, not a problem draining it.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:42 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
tycham....thanks for this thread, I've always wondered about going to Mexico to get an RV painted and your thread will help a lot.

Looking forward to your updates.
Old 05-10-2019, 07:18 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
I see it says 12 volt on the side. Where do you get the power from. Do you have a 12 volt port outside or in your wet bay?
My chassis battery's are about 6' in the next comportment or I use a small 12volt battery from harbor fright to power it.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-vol...ery-64102.html
Old 05-10-2019, 09:31 AM   #8

I am not sure what the macerator has to do with the paint thread. Probably just trying to help out. I am well aware of macerator pumps having lived on a boat for extended periods of time. It is a standard feature on them.

Now, as far as pricing. I don't want to post a price because every RV is different. Just too many variables. Such as red paint and other high pigment are more expensive. How much body work? Do stripes need to be removed?

I will say that in my case, I was quoted $18-20,000 in the states. I am paying less than half of that. More than $5,000 but less than $10,000. My price includes mooring for the RV, the full body paint and the roof. I am not including the upholstery of the captain chairs nor the awnings over the slides.

Today they start working on the roof!
Old 05-10-2019, 05:00 PM   #9

Ok , day three ? The machine sanding is done. Now there are a couple of repairs, some places for filler and then block sanding. One seat was picked up today to recover, New awnings quoted and a small start on the roof
Old 05-10-2019, 05:21 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Chuy is doing some painting on my truck today.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:43 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypoxia View Post
Chuy is doing some painting on my truck today.
Just wanted to point out the spelling is Chuy and is pronounced chew-wee.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:07 PM   #12

Tomorrow is a day off so I will try and find a WiFi place and upload photos
Old 05-12-2019, 08:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycham View Post
I am not sure what the macerator has to do with the paint thread. Probably just trying to help out. I am well aware of macerator pumps having lived on a boat for extended periods of time. It is a standard feature on them.
Tycham, SORRY I was trying to help you with you issue of running out of black tank room. Was just trying to help with a different way of dumping you tanks Will just follow your paint threads and hope it works out for the best !!
Old 05-12-2019, 08:19 PM   #14

Wow, old thread and no conclusion posted. Too bad really caught my attention.
Closed Thread

Tags
paint