Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2014, 05:59 PM   #1

New Purchase

My wife & I just purchased a 2008 Newmar Dutch Star in lieu of a Entegra Aspire for a couple of reasons. This is our first RV & our salesman told us that the Aspire depended on a Lp tank for hot water & if we were vacationing we would need to unhook everything in 3 to 4 days to go refill the LP tank? Also the Newmar had the comfort steer. He also said they had a bunch of problems with the Entegra? Would like some opinions.
cristelectri is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2014, 06:03 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Welcome to irv2. I think the reasons you mentioned were all good.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:06 PM   #3

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by cristelectri View Post
My wife & I just purchased a 2008 Newmar Dutch Star in lieu of a Entegra Aspire for a couple of reasons. This is our first RV & our salesman told us that the Aspire depended on a Lp tank for hot water & if we were vacationing we would need to unhook everything in 3 to 4 days to go refill the LP tank? Also the Newmar had the comfort steer. He also said they had a bunch of problems with the Entegra? Would like some opinions.
Hi..
I am sure the Newmar is a fine coach.. But you had a "Bad" sales person.. I have a coach with LP for stove.. Furnace and Hotwater.. As well as rigged for use with an outdoor grill and fire pit.. We have been on the road for almost 3 months with moderate use and haven't used an 1/8 of a tank of propane!
My Travel Supreme is the predecessor of the integra..
He Lied to You..!
Ron Husak
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04 400 Cummins ISL
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:07 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
welcome!!!!
Old 03-30-2014, 06:08 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Partly a bunch of crap (to be expected and if it was North Trail in FL, not much credibility...but Newmar is a quality coach. I was not aware that Dutch Star was an all electric coach, versus LP heat and hot water (but that I don't know). Lots of options for how to handle filling LP once in a campsite. You could have researched a little and this would have been a good forum for that. Salesmen that say Entegra are having a lot of problems are full of it.

That said, you have your purchase, it is a quality coach, but you need to have it checked out to make sure it works completely before you take too long a trip because it is 6 years old. Beyond that, happy camping and welcome to iRV2.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:10 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifftall View Post
Welcome to irv2. I think the reasons you mentioned were all good.
Cliff
I think your assessment could be a little more explicit...unless you believe EVERYTHING the salesperson said is true...???
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 06:13 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new rig.

I sure didn't realize that the Aspire had only a propane water heater. But, as pointed out, to be told that you would need to unhook every few days to refill propane is ridiculous.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:10 PM   #8

Like you I have been looking at both the Entegra and the Newmar and I've done a lot of research on both. If I had to make a bet I'd say the salesman was at North Trail. I had one lying through his false teeth at the Tampa Show and it sure sounds like business as usual. Too bad some people can't just let their products stand for themselves. Both rigs are high quality but it's really too bad someone has to lie to a customer. The Dutch Star is a great rig and can sell itself.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:11 PM   #9

Again, welcome to the forum. Lots of great folks here to help. I would suggest that there is a larger commission on one coach over the other. As a result, stories abound unfortunately when you cross paths with some sales folks. Note ...... I sold MHs at a very large dealership, eight years ago, and saw the other side of the business.

Yes propane needs to be refilled, but certainly not that often for heating water. I have no experience with Entegra products, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express.
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:15 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
When I looked at aspire the Auga hot furnace and hot water were run off propane not diesel . The aspire us the cheaper brand in the line and that's one of the concessions. Propane not diesel , That said ,mI doubt you'd go through propane that often especially when hooked to power at a park ( the system uses power if available ) and there are other options as already stated . The salesman wanted you to buy his dutch star .. Surprise ! The dutch star is a fine coach enjoy it.
Old 03-30-2014, 07:32 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I used to have a small 5er that had a small propane bottle (20lbs I think) anyway my wife and I and 2 small kids that got a hot bath everynight never emptied a full one in trips as long as a week.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:33 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Salesman was only partially right. The Dutch Star is a great coach and the Comfort Steer is wonderful. You would have to run your genny at full load, with furnace running constantly to deplete a propane tank in a few days. Entegra is a fine coach and I'm sure the salesman was trying to steer you to the unit he wanted to sell. However, I hope you have many happy mile with your Dutch Star.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 07:59 PM   #13

Salesmen is off his rocker. I would be willing to bet money the hot water heater has both electric and propane, but even if it did not, there is no way on earth you could use enough hot water to deplete your propane tank in 3 or 4 days. Just to give you some perspective, my furnace is 30,000 BTU. Running a 80% duty cycle in single digit weather, I go through about 4 gallons of propane in 24 hours. The gives me about 4 days on a tank. Your hot water heater is about 12 BTU or less. Think real hard about the duty cycle over a 24 hour period. The likelihood of the hot water heater running for more than an hour total in a 24 hour period is pretty low. Yes, it will run continuous while you are in the shower, but that should not be more than about 10 minutes or so. Figuring an hour on time would be a 4% duty cycle. OK, are you getting some perspective. 1/3rd the BTU, 4% duty cycle vs 80% duty cycle. The fridge uses very little propane either. 3 or 4 days, no more like 2 months.

The reality is the furnace is the only thing that consumes propane at any noticeable rate. All other uses are so small, they are negligible.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:33 PM   #14

For my use I would take an only propane water heater over an only electric any day, we don't go to sites with hookups so the electric water heater would become a hassle. I guess it all depends on what you are going to use your coach for.
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase