Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2018, 03:26 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
New Rig Warranty v New Rig Depreciation

I'd love to hear the group's thoughts on this. Feel free to hijack thread in any direction. It's all pretty much new to me, and I learn every time I read.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2018, 03:29 PM   #2

both 'sides' will give you their take on this, as some will 'never' buy any RV new, and some will 'never' buy a used one. Neither are right, neither are wrong.

Go with what allows you to sleep best at night, not what your neighbors might do. You probably already know how you're feeling. Go with it, it's you money and yours alone.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 03:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
both 'sides' will give you their take on this, as some will 'never' buy any RV new, and some will 'never' buy a used one. Neither are right, neither are wrong.

Go with what allows you to sleep best at night, not what your neighbors might do. You probably already know how you're feeling. Go with it, it's you money and yours alone.
Well said, Mr T.

It really depends on what your preferences are and what you can find that fits the bill for what you want. Maybe it's a used unit, or maybe you can't find what you want and have to consider new.

Either way, get as much a unit as you can afford to buy. never second guess yourself, and go forward and enjoy. You never know if you'll get another chance to do it, whether right or wrong.
Logan Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 03:49 PM   #4

Depreciation is only important with an investment. A Motorhome is a luxury, a toy, a means for pleasure but a lousy investment. When we bought our current coach, I considered the purchase price as money lost and gone. In its place was a toy to have fun with. Warranty did not enter into the decision and neither did depreciation. The value of our luxury toy is actually appreciating as we get older. The pleasure we get was worth the price and still is, so what's to depreciate. When we sell it, whatever we get for it is a bonus to use for something else. Our enjoyment is worth more than the difference, so it's a bargain.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 04:43 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Depreciation is only important with an investment. A Motorhome is a luxury, a toy, a means for pleasure but a lousy investment. When we bought our current coach, I considered the purchase price as money lost and gone. In its place was a toy to have fun with. Warranty did not enter into the decision and neither did depreciation. The value of our luxury toy is actually appreciating as we get older. The pleasure we get was worth the price and still is, so what's to depreciate. When we sell it, whatever we get for it is a bonus to use for something else. Our enjoyment is worth more than the difference, so it's a bargain.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 06:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterT View Post
Indeed. I could not have bought our used coach unless someone hadn't first bought it new.
Old 05-07-2018, 07:10 PM   #7

It comes down to what works for you. For us we have a ton of things we like to do. Rving is just one of them. When I do something I like to get the most for my money so I look for something in the price range I plan to spend and then look for the best of the best in that budget and then I go to work finding the right item. After finding it I like making it as original and perfect as I can.

Beaver was known as one of the top in it's day. We bought ours for 10% of it's original asking price at way below even low book. She had low miles but not so low it would cause alarm. She just needed some love. Did the same thing with my new to me boat. This was a $135k pontoon boat in 2007. I found it from a dealer who never used it. She had 40 hours on her in pristine condition. To find a 60mph 425hp 496HO Mag pontoon today for $30k is unheard of.

For some having the newest and most expensive is what works best for them and that's cool. Get what works for you and enjoy. Ask lots of questions the RV community is very helpful.
Nasdaqsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:45 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
I like math and your question is a math question with unknown variables so hard to answer. 14 years ago I bought a 6 month old 04 Dynasty (only way to get 4 slides back then) and never used the 6 remaining months of warranty. Fortunately the first owner took a big hit on price/depreciation and had it back to the dealer multiple times. I just replaced it (had a eager buyer with cash) with a 10 year old rig.

I posted this recently in reply to this question:

"Buying new on here is always criticized by those who buy used. I wonder why that is?"....because we think you're not good at math. Other than a Prevost or Newell I'll put the "New" to me 08 HR Navigator up against anyone's new DP...yes that includes Foretravel. Paid 24% of its MSRP with meticulously records and 40K miles so insurance is only $1600 and sales tax is $11K...not willing to go the LLC route. I wonder what it's MSRP would be today...probably the same as a Mtn Aire.

A 2018 Mtn Aire will cost you $600+K (sales tax of $42K) but you can buy a 2017 for $415K. Insurance maybe $3000+...probably more. There is another math problem...I have to earn $140,000 to have $100K to spend, yes taxes takes that much out of what you earn if you can AFFORD a "NEW" BIG DP. To buy that $600K DP I'd have to earn $840,000, the real cost of that new rig. I paid 19% of that amount on a rig I like better.

OH WAIT, you didn't have $600K laying around so you financed it for 15 years...you really are poor at math. Pretty sure I'm not making many friends here.
PS: I pay cash for my toys as you are kissing that money away.

I did not want a bath & half or flush windows that do not open very much plus it has a 06 engine...no DPF or DEF. Take a look at it here: http://https://apps.auction123.com/I...=3482317&sID=0
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 08:55 AM   #9

I'm always amazed how upset and defensive people who buy used seem to get over people who buy new. My last six coaches have been new. Neither one has had a financial impact on my lifestyle. In fact our income is higher in retirement than it was while running a business due to 50 years in business and good investments. I really don't care about the math of a MH purchase, whether good or bad. We have no debt, so what difference would it make to someone else if I wanted a new coach?? Our kids are on the same track, so they won't need our money. If it's used that you can afford and it makes you happy, go for it and enjoy the life. If you want new and can swing it do the same. Life is short

Edit: I must have been pretty good at math. We turned a struggling business into a profitable enterprise that our son is still expanding. Did I mention he bought a Newell last year??
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 10:02 AM   #10

Crasher - your posts have been very well stated, and I'll add a couple more points, while holding back a few more.

Those that buy new and / or expensive coaches may very well pay cash. And many of those that do "finance" are not doing so because they don't have the assets to pay for the coach outright but are doing so because it makes financial sense for them to do so. There is simple math, and there is financial math.

I think I can say for certain the guy financing a $500k+ coach is not playing by the same money rules that the guy financing a $50k RV is. As Joe Walsh so well stated "I have accountants that pay for it all"

In any case, going back to the original question and adding on to a point Crasher made, if owning an RV, any RV, has and / or could have a material impact on your balance sheet or financial well being, I would suggest that you probably should reconsider how much money you spend on one so that it doesn't.

And just to end it, we have never second guessed our decision to buy a new gasser..... we've put 25,000 miles on it in 3 years, will add anther 8,000 this year, and have traveled all over the US and eastern Canada, for periods up to 3 months at a time. Yep, you can do that in a gasser, and be very happy and comfortable.
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:39 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigzag03 View Post
I'd love to hear the group's thoughts on this. Feel free to hijack thread in any direction. It's all pretty much new to me, and I learn every time I read.
I scanned the posts briefly so let me be the first to attempt to answer your post. New rig warranty vs depreciation.

If you are asking if it is worth the money to buy the extended warranty, probably not but all you are buying with an extended warranty is peace of mind. If you dont use it at all and still were comfortable that you had it in case you needed it then you got what you paid for. If you are not risk adverse and it dosent bother you to be self insured then by all means the gods are usually with you if you dont buy one. Remember it is good if you dont have the rig in the shop after your factory warranty runs out.

Now I dont know how to compare depreciation with all that is above so I think you might have posted this so dummies like me will stick their foot in their mouth. Let me tell you something buddy I dont need any incentive to put my foot my foot in my mouth which should be obvious if you read some of my posts Way to go
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 05:00 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
I took the question to be buying new so you have a 5 year warranty on the engine and usually a one year on the overall rig. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad there are people buying new so bottom feeders like me can buy for 1/5th of the new price. My rig was traded in on a Newell...will not be lusting for it.
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:12 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I threw it out there just to hear stuff that I likely had not thought of. That said, my own opinion (tempered by years of selling new boats) is that there is such a large drop in value after the first couple years, and in those couple years, the original purchaser has sorted out if not all, then at least the big issues under warranty. All that said, I'm keeping my 15yo Challenger and putting her right step by step, and enjoying the walk...
Old 05-10-2018, 10:53 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Skipping the philosophical debates and getting back to the original question, a new rig warranty is a nice thing to have, but its only 12 months in most cases. Some percentage of new rigs will have a lot of first year warranty claims, but the percentage of rigs that have many second year claims is much lower. In other words, the factory defects have been resolved by then. So a warranty is a great think to have when new, but not so much thereafter.

New rig depreciation sounds horrendous vs MSRP, but if you negotiate well and buy at a decent price, the actual depreciation is a much smaller percentage vs the actual purchase price. You can think of that first year actual depreciation as the price of that factory warranty.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty