Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2012, 05:30 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
new rv owners

will be picking up or rv in co. it is used, will be driving back about 1500 miles. is there anything special that we need to take with us to guarantee a safe drive home? this is our 1st motorhome. class a h/r 38pdq 2005.
MARY A is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #2

Buy a roadside assistance plan immediately just in case. Something like Coach Net. Also carry a credit card. I'm not trying to alarm you but these will always be necessary so might as well have them up front.
radams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:02 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Wait for the current snow storm to clear out of CO!

- check the tires! age, pressure, wear
- practice driving if you have not driven an RV before. A 38-footer is a big to start out with but you will get the hang of it soon.
- be careful driving around gas stations as your back end swings out a bit when making tight turns
RVing for 20 years & 200,000+ miles
RVThere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Private party or dealer? If private ask if you can ship some things out to his house.

I got mine from a private seller 2100 miles from home, I shipped out, my own bedding, basic tools including multimeter, fuses and wire, printer so I could print route changes, books etc for the nights on the road. I did use the multimeter to do a bit of troubleshooting on a generator hard start (blown glow plug fuse) having the tools was a security blanket, but they were there if needed.

I also signed up with Coach Net before flying out to pick up the coach just in case.
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Might want to spend a night or 2 camping at the seller's location prior to your drive home. You will have lots of questions. Then plan about 3 days to drive the 1500 miles home. Fuel up at 1/2 tank or sooner and pick large fuel stops. Your tires are most likely 2004s (8 yrs old), so you'll be OK there if they are wearing even and no sidewall damage/cracks. Learn how check tire pressure and check them often. Be safe
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:00 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Lots of gas money.
Neumann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Like a previous poster, not to alarm you, but you should have a set of reflective triangles or a few highway cones in case you have to pull over on the highway, but more importantly a digital camera, you'll want pictures of your maiden voyage! Good luck and have a great time, you only get 1 maiden voyage! You will be grinning like when you 1st got your drivers liscense!
Old 02-03-2012, 09:40 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARY A View Post
will be picking up or rv in co. it is used, will be driving back about 1500 miles. is there anything special that we need to take with us to guarantee a safe drive home? this is our 1st motorhome. class a h/r 38pdq 2005.
Congrats on the new moho, Mary! How exciting. I'd say just take plenty of money so that you can stop at a Walmart (or someplace) to purchase bedding, a few cooking/eating implements, some food, toilet paper, etc. for the trip. (I'm one of those "germphobic" people so I would have to buy Lysol, too. ) You can outfit the coach more fully once you get it home.

Be sure to go over the coach carefully before you depart...check fluid levels, tire pressures, windshield wipers, etc. along with all the other pre-delivery inspection things. Enjoy and have fun!

ETA--and be sure to arrange for moho insurance and road hazzard coverage before you go.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:43 AM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thank you for your response. Its been very helpful. We have looked for 2 years and found the ONE. Will be traveling with a 6 and 4 year old, wish me luck!!!!
MARY A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:58 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Can't emphisize enough about checking the date code on those tires. If they are the originals they could be well past the safe life. 6 years is what most folks will consider the time to change. Having one blow is bad enough if you have had experience driving a coach but can be catastrophic if you are inexperienced. At least know how to use a pressure guage and keep them filled up. I'd also advise to plan no more than 300 miles per day on your return home. Drive slow and safe.
Vegasdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:30 AM   #11

I agree w/ tire age. We won't drive our MH with tires over 6 yrs old. A blow out can cause extensive damage to the RV wheel wells. I've seen one come up thru the passenger seat on a DP.
Snomas1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 02:01 PM   #12

+1 on the previous 2 posts. If the date codes ARE NOT visible on ALL tires, make them dismount them and personally inspect!

Won't go into the entire story, but we found 14 year old rear tire on our "new to us" 12 old DP. The tires had been mounted so the date codes were not visible. Also DO NOT assume the tires are not older than the age of the MH. The chassis manufacturer might have inventoried tires before building the chassis.
bmrzmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 04:03 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARY A View Post
Thank you for your response. Its been very helpful. We have looked for 2 years and found the ONE. Will be traveling with a 6 and 4 year old, wish me luck!!!!
The kids are going to love it, Mary! Be safe and post when you return. We all want to know how you like your new moho!!
Old 02-05-2012, 05:03 AM   #14

Hey Mary, Congratulations on the New to you, RV. Lots of good advice.

You didn't say if from a dealer or private party. Its really cold up there in Co., have them go over each and every function of the RV if you are not familiar with it. Make sure you understand how they function. Check the paper work make sure you have instruction manuals for the major items in the Motorhome.

Manuals for the Genset, Microwave, leveling jacks etc.
As you can't weigh the Motorhome, have them air the tires to the cold setting on the sidewall of the tires. When you can, weigh the motorhome and adjust tire pressure based on loads. A lot of dealers will air down the tires to 70 lbs to make the ride really soft, be sure this is not the case.

I'm not one for pitching the tires at 6 years, Michelin states that properly maintained tires can be run for 10 years. If they are weather cracked, (sun damage) pitch them. If they look good and have plenty of tread no cracks keep them. It has worked for me you'll have to develop your own standards and what works for you.

Most of all, enjoy your new Motorhome, those little guys will remember those camping trips for the rest of their lives

Happy trails
Jim
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote