Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2016, 02:31 PM   #1

New safety features - assisted cruse control, blind spot indicators etc.

Has any one heard anything about assisted cruse control, blind spot indicators or other modern technologies on the F53 chassis?
DMiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2016, 03:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMiner View Post
Has any one heard anything about assisted cruse control, blind spot indicators or other modern technologies on the F53 chassis?
I just looked at Fords 2017 chassis web site and there is no indication of those safety features being installed.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/new-...tc-290813.html

They may be install by the complete vehicle assembly manufacture.
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2016, 08:57 PM   #3

If you adjust your mirrors properly, you won't have a "blind spot."
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 04:59 AM   #4

The blind spot indicator is not the primary function I was referring to, but only one of many new safety features available on cars but not motor homes. The most interesting for me is the assisted cruse control. This allows the vehicle to "see" whats in front of you then compensate your speed to maintain a safe distance behind the vehicle in front of you. It will come to a complete stop if necessary. This feature is on my Jeep Cherokee and it is awesome - it takes the stress out of driving, especially in traffic.
DMiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 07:59 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Both the blind spot and assisted cruise control options on new high end auto's are based on sonar-like sensors that are located around the vehicle. As each coach manufacturer has a different body style, I don't think Ford could build these into the frame. It would have to be the coach manufacturer. I haven't heard of anyone doing it yet, but it sure would be nice to have!
Old 05-14-2016, 08:16 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

What Gormleys says. Ford cannot provide these in a stripped chassis - they have to be integrated with the body, which is designed and built by the coach maker, not Ford. They could probably provide some of the basic components, which are basically a "body computer" and some software, but sensors, cameras, etc. go on the body, not the chassis. Some high end coaches do in fact have these capabilities, but I don't know of any gas (F53) chassis coaches that do so. Price is probably the reason.

Newmar offers adaptive cruise in the King Aire, and Prevost-based coaches have "Prevost Aware" package. High end Monacos had the Vorad system available, and American Coach offers similar function in the Heritage.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 05:59 PM   #7

I have the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee, have put on 150,000 miles so far, the Jeep equipped with the so-called "Dynamic Cruise Control" and Jeep called it FCW for Front Collision Warning system. I love it so much, especially when driving in the rain. Many people told me that I should not use the cruise control under the rain, however, this is not an ordinary cruise control. Without using this, you have to monitor the car in front of you, and the road at the same time. Sometimes, I ran into the thunderstorm that I could not even see 10 feet in front of me. With that said, what the Dynamic Cruise Control does is monitoring the distance between your car and the car up front and keep the appropriate distance as you set for 1, 2, or 3 cars length. Should the car in front brake, your car immediately slow down and if necessary, it will reduce the speed and apply the brake "gently" without worry about slippery. All actions were taken before you even see the car in front of you.

That said, I love to have it on my upcoming RV, but not sure if it will be available from the manufacturers.

However, the good news is: You may be able to add this type of feature on your RV. I have not research too deep yet, but I know someone have already done so and the system called "MOBILEYE" and is the "5 Series" which based on the videos, it does exactly what I have on my Jeep. Here is the link and hope that it will benefit you.

Mobileye 5-series

and here is the link to the person who installed it on a bigger rig.
tamdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 06:12 PM   #8

Camping World having the similar system which gives you the warning only: Mobileye C2-270 Collision Prevention System. Sales for $486 buck.

Mobileye C2-270 Collision Prevention System - Mobileye C2-270 - First Aid & Rescue - Camping World

Obviously, this system gives you the warning only since it does not hook up to your cruise control or braking system.

The more expensive model (don't know how much) only use for auto/RV manufacturers as system integrators.

However, for $486 buckaroo... plus installation cost, I think it would worth the money and safety.
tamdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:11 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamdle View Post
Camping World having the similar system which gives you the warning only: Mobileye C2-270 Collision Prevention System. Sales for $486 buck.

Mobileye C2-270 Collision Prevention System - Mobileye C2-270 - First Aid & Rescue - Camping World

Obviously, this system gives you the warning only since it does not hook up to your cruise control or braking system.

The more expensive model (don't know how much) only use for auto/RV manufacturers as system integrators.

However, for $486 buckaroo... plus installation cost, I think it would worth the money and safety.

I bought the Garmin 35 dash cam. It has a collision avoidance warning indicator built in. I only paid $250.00 CDN. for it.

2009 Safari Cheetah 40'
350 HP Cat
2014 Ford Focus
Air Force One
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, safety