Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2013, 08:57 PM   #29
Cat

Phranc, I have the Drainmaster hose and the electric valves and Diesel Bounder 37v. The problem you will have if use the electric valves is there is not enough room to mount them in the position that is recommended. I put mine in a position as close as possible to the recommended position. The black tank valve has been used for 4 years no problems the gray tank had to be replaced because it was getting slow to open and close. I tried to clean it using the recommended cleaners but too much soap scum and grease to get out and you cannot disassemble. Would I buy again you bet-- it's a pain to crawl under the full wall slide to get to the manual drain valves-- I'm sure you know. I love the Drainmaster hose- I like the coupling and the shut off valve on the other end--- so the hose is not dripping when I roll it up. I made a PVC pipe boot that slips over the end that goes into sewers so that it's covered when it rolled up. No drips, the hose is sealed by the valve and the cover makes it about as sanitary as its going to get. I have been full timing for three years . Good luck
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2013, 06:49 AM   #30

Monaco Owners Club
I will second what Cat has stated regarding the electric drain valve system that they sell. I have looked into the installation of those valves and have come away with the fact that I would have to tear apart my entire Wet Service Bay Panel JUST to get the valves into the correct positions that they require. Otherwise, they are a waste of time and money.

If they had been installed at the factory in the correct orientation, that would be different but after the fact, no way!

However, their drain hose system is the best in the marketplace and should last a lifetime of DUMPS.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:25 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
That's the spirit, Toyduck!

Keeping things simple, effective, and inexpensive is the way I have camped since my pup tent.

Some of us still improvise, even invent ways to do things that are even with, and sometimes better than, newer, more expensive gadgets.

The cheap slinky will last a long time if you dont step on it!

I'm known by some as an RV Mutant!
I casually mentioned to my wife about the Drain Master and had her look at it. She saw the price and looked at me like I had lost my marbles...

Since she helps with the process I was only thinking about her...

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Toyduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 01:27 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by csrrsr View Post
I have the cheap red one and cheap blue one. Just upgraded at CW yesterday and bought a cheap adaptor so now I can use both of them together. I wonder if that is illegal?
No, mixed couples is perfectly alright.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #33

Cat and Richard are right. The way my rig was set up was the black dump valve on the passenger side and the gray water dump valve on the drivers side. The both dump through the same drain/slinky/sewer, but it makes for an interesting exerciser running around the RV to accomplish the process.

I though the electric valve(s) might be the answer, but there is no way they would fit as recommended by the manufacturer.

Oh well, the DW says I shouldn't be so lazy....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-26-2013, 12:04 PM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I also have the Polychute kit. I had a Rhinoflex which came with the MH. The Polychute is superior in ever way. The end valve creates an air-tight seal for storage and the connection to the coach is extremely stable. There are clear sections at both ends.

The marketing leaves the impressions that it is smooth on the inside. That is not quite true... there are creases where the hose compresses, but they are smoother than the Rhinoflex and it is indeed very easy to flush out and be confident it is clean.

It is very robust and easy survives being stepped on and attacked with a weed wacker.

The included storage container is too small however, which is a bit frustrating for the cost.

I am very happy with it, but to be honest it is maybe 10% better than other quality hoses like a Rhinoflex, but substantially more money. If it were $100 cheaper, I'd be telling everyone to get one, but at $159...
CapuTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #35

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
You will be very disappointed with the Smart Drain from Thetford. Read ALL of the reviews that you can find on the Smart Drain before you spend you good money on it.

However, the Drainmaster System is a proven and well recommended system. For the price it should be and it stands up to the test of time, durability and reliability.

Your choice but my recommendation would be the Drainmaster.

Do I have one, no, as I have so many other types of 3 inch hoses right now that I didn't want to throw all of them away as yet. But when I get down to my last 3 inch SS, the next purchase will be the Drainmaster.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

I agree with Richard 10000% on that one!

I have the Thetford Smart Drain and do NOT recommend it to anyone. I have had very few times of a clean hookup without leaks. The ears on the Thetford make it look like it would be no problem, but in fact, the tend to have an issue hooking up so there are no leaks. I hate the hose because it does not retract like a slinky hose would and once its all sprawled out, you can never get it back in its contracted form.

See my link here to this issue:

I am going with the Sewer Solution, http://www.sewersolution.com/index.htm

with the Valterra slinky hose as backup if I don't have any water hookups.....here are some helpful links...

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/thetf...es-152066.html

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/sewer...on-152092.html

Hope this helps!
Old 04-26-2013, 01:34 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by NukeRef View Post

To each his own, but I was taught to leave both valves closed until it's time to dump. Then dump black first followed by dumping the grey tank to flush the line.

By the way, I have several lengths (5'-15') of Rhinoflex and Viper hoses with compatible bayonet connections. This gives me a great deal of flexibility to reach a sewer as close as two feet to as far as 40 feet away. I have a clear 45 deg connector at the outlet so I can monitor progress, and I always use the built in sani-flush hose connection to finish the job.

I have a little over 20' of home-made hose ramp in 4' sections to reduce the kinks and help flow.

I'm not a "seasoned vet" just yet with only a little over a year of RVing under by belt, but it has worked for me so far.
X2 on having both valves closed. I always try to have at least 1/2 to 3/4 tank level on each one before I dump. Open the Black and then use the Gray to clean up the hose along with a fresh water flush. Once empty, I always add a few gallons of water and a spoonful of Happy Campers Powder. Have not had ANY black or grey water issues.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:24 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks to everyone for their opinions and help . It seems the days of my much beloved
macerator system ( clean dump co. ) will be on hold for a while awaiting repairs . I will use the repaired macerator as a plan "B" or "C" as the need arises . It is back to a gravity system and I have ordered the Drainmaster . It seems to be a good long term solution although not the cheapest ..
Thanks again and safe travels ..
Old 04-27-2013, 12:44 PM   #38

Workhorse Chassis Owner
15' Rhinoflex hose does it for me.
cvrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 01:37 PM   #39

To the OP.
We have the Thetford Smart Drain system. I prefer the connections over the bayonet style. The only issue I have experienced was when I had to remove the adapter. I used a dump station that had a permanent hose in place so I had to remove the adapter to use their hose. After that I could not get the thing to seal. I ended up buying a clear 90 degree extension and a new adapter. Now I can see when I have properly flushed the black tank and if I need to use the bayonet style again I can disconnect the extension and leave the adapter in place.
SNAPPY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 09:32 AM   #40
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Back when we first started RV'ing in 2001, I bought a sewer hose called "Smooth Bore" and I still use it today! It is not the accordion-type so it's a little more trouble to store. It is totally smooth inside with the ribs outside, so the "poop" slides right on through! That makes it really easy to keep nice and clean! I roll it up where it's about 18" in diameter, put it in a plastic trash bag, and store it in one of the bays. After 12 years of use I only have one very small pinhole that just needs a dab of sealant and I figure I'm good for another 12 years!

BTW, I Googled it and found that they still make it, but it's not one have seen at any RV store since I bought mine!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:09 AM   #41

how big is the bayonet fitting on most of the ones people have?? i had my wife go out and buy one and it was to small....then i went and bought the rinoflex and it also was to small...i must have a 4" fitting..just not one in town...i will have to order ...jeff sorry to hijack just seemed the right place so others know there not all the same
Old 04-29-2013, 11:55 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by beenthere View Post
how big is the bayonet fitting on most of the ones people have?? i had my wife go out and buy one and it was to small....then i went and bought the rinoflex and it also was to small...i must have a 4" fitting..just not one in town...i will have to order ...jeff sorry to hijack just seemed the right place so others know there not all the same
To my knowledge they are all the same size. Kinds like light bulb socket!!!!!!
Did you buy your rig new?