Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2016, 06:28 PM   #1

New Sink & Faucet...they said it couldn't be done

Another thing I wanted to address was, preparing our MH for a more comfortable and practical experience when we do short camp trips & long term traveling was to address the OEM sink & faucet both of which were to small, cheaply made and not practical to use in everyday living. So.....I decided to address and tackle this problem. Several people told me I couldn't use regular household fixtures for a MH application because it wouldn't fit or work correctly. Well see for yourself...
Home Depot, S/S sink
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Elkay-Cel...ord=1000678725

Home Depot Faucet
http://www.homedepot.com/p/MOEN-Banb...7SRS/204491829
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	old-plastic-sink.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	145979   Click image for larger version

Name:	ss-sink-no-hose.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	145983  

Click image for larger version

Name:	ss-sink-hose.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	131.2 KB
ID:	145984  
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2016, 06:30 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Looks good to me...
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:35 PM   #3

Great work! It looks very nice
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:35 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
We've replaced both kitchen and bath faucets in ours with products from Home Depot or Lowes, they work just fine.
Old 12-04-2016, 06:41 PM   #5

Marjoa,
Just wondering. Not that it makes any difference but, WHO told you it couldn't be done? I mean, to me, it's a counter top with a hole in it. You fit one type/model of sink or, another type/model. I see that it appears you removed a dual sink and installed a single sink. May I ask why the single? I mean, it's yours and you have your intended use and plans so, it's good for you.

We've seen many newer homes with single kitchen sinks and, to both the wife and I, we just can't seem to see the logic in a single sink. But again, everyone's got plans and has different styles of kitchen operations. Looks like a superior job to me. Don't ya just love when you go AGAINST the grain and it works!!!! Been there done that, several times.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:41 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
This looks very good. Can you give us the details of how long it took to remove and install the new unit? Any problems that you came encountered?
City Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:47 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I meant to ask if you encountered any problems under the counter?
City Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:58 PM   #8

OP responding...
In our home, and most newer homes I guess, the kitchen counters are huge, long and there's plenty of room for a 32", 38" or so sink which is really what you need to warrant a double sink (DS) that's functional. We have a large, deep DS in our house and love it. BUT.....in a MH you don't (or we don't) have huge countertops. We have your typical RV counter top. So OEM put this little dinky double plastic sink in. Have you ever tried to wash pots & pans in there? Of course you have. Sucks right? No room. And that dinky little sink to the right, to small really for any purpose. So we wanted a single sink in this application to give us more room. So now we have a large area to wash, rinse and then place items on the drying towel off to the right of the sink. Plus the nice spray faucet that pulls out which really is nice.

Installation Problems:
No problems really but I did have to:
• removing the old sink was easy. Got under the sink disconnected plumbing, removed sink anchors, lifted out old sink
• measured to trim the countertop some for new sink (measure measure & measure again...you got only one shot at this)
• added a couple a reinforcement blocks in the corners with screws & glue
• bought assorted different plumbing fittings for underneath the sink to tie into the existing gray water drain line
• as I looked closely at the incoming hot & cold water lines, I didn't particularly like the way the came in and just were kinda dangling there behind the sink wall, so I took a little time to secure those a little better

Removal & Installation Time:
• one day including 3 trips to Home Depot once I found everything online & gathered most of the parts
• 1/2 day searching for a sink, and after careful measuring, I knew a standard 22" wide sink would not fit. Took a while to find this sink which is 21.25" wide online. That 3/4" made all the difference. I wish I could of gone with a deeper sink though. The room was there. I could of gone 10" maybe 12" deep (like at our house) but I couldn't find that depth in a sink that wasn't the standard 22" wide unless it was a bar sink and of course that was to small and would of defeated the purpose of what I was trying to accomplish. This sink fit perfect and is 7" deep, same as OEM.

Who said it couldn't be done:
• Several people I talked to at CG's as I was discussing what I wanted to do.
• They don't know me very well
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 11:34 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Boy View Post
I meant to ask if you encountered any problems under the counter?
I've changed out 3 kitchen faucets on coaches. The first two required removing some paneling to gain access and I sort of had to hang upside down to work. My most recent coach was a piece of cake...even better access than my home kitchen sink. Bottom line, it depends on your coach and how well it's built.

Marjoa: Your job looks great
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 03:35 AM   #10
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm sure you both really appreciate that great looking upgrade.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 07:51 AM   #11

When replacing RV faucets with modern home faucets the only difference is the connection thread. The RV one will be 1/2" female thread while the home one will be 3/8" female compression. You can get the male/male adapters in the plumbing isle. Some home faucets still come with 1/2" direct connect but most are now coming with 3/8".

The other thing to watch for when doing a kitchen faucet is that many modern "pretty" faucets are a center stem type. RV faucets are typically left/right stem even if they have a center lift handle. This can easily be fixed with a bore bit to drill out the counter top, but if that is not something you are comfortable with you need to make sure the old stems match the new stems.
imob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 08:11 AM   #12

You did a great job of replacing the STUPID split sink with one that's usable. Well done.
peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 10:47 AM   #13

There is another issue with changing the faucets in a MH with off the shelf products that I ran into up in Alaska. I bought a fairly expensive kitchen faucet ($80) and installed it without issues. But weeks later, as I was trying to winterize with air, it seemed to not want to empty out well. Not realizing that might be a problem, I just let it be.

Months later, when I de-winterized and turned on the water, the copper pipe right near the connection to the water line was spraying water because of a freeze cracked pipe. After removal, found that the faucets inlet pipes had tiny one-way valves in them that I hadn't noticed during install. They had prevented water that was left after the air blow out from draining back to the tank, and prevented water from further down the pipe from draining too, due to suction.

Yeah, I know, many people use the pink stuff for just this kind of thing, but I don't care for the aftertaste it leaves that hangs around for a week or two after de-winterizing.

So, just a warning if you replace your MH faucets with standard off-the-shelf faucets. And you winterize with air.

Here was my blog story about it: Replacement Faucet Freeze...

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 04:17 PM   #14
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Great job!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote