Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2021, 09:36 AM   #1

Angry New Suburban Stove

Just bought a new Suburban Stove for my motorhome and the oven does not work right. Paid 500 for it and we can't bake a cake. I have already let Suburban know what I think!
The problem! The pilot lite must be lit the first time and then it should stay lit from then on unless you shut it off. The oven when set to a certain temperature
will heat to the temp and shut off. Then when the temp drops below the setting
it will relite the burner and maintain the set temp. When our stove reaches the set temp it does shut down but also shuts the pilot lite off also.
I have been on other forums and they said to fix the problem change the pilot lite. How does this stop the stove from shutting it off? What else do I have to be looking at to fix the problem?
This is the stove that I have. Model no. srn1xb2b1xbp1ex serial no. 210223409.

Keith:
hello USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2021, 09:48 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hello USA View Post
Just bought a new Suburban Stove for my motorhome and the oven does not work right. Paid 500 for it and we can't bake a cake. I have already let Suburban know what I think!
The problem! The pilot lite must be lit the first time and then it should stay lit from then on unless you shut it off. The oven when set to a certain temperature
will heat to the temp and shut off. Then when the temp drops below the setting
it will relite the burner and maintain the set temp. When our stove reaches the set temp it does shut down but also shuts the pilot lite off also.
I have been on other forums and they said to fix the problem change the pilot lite. How does this stop the stove from shutting it off? What else do I have to be looking at to fix the problem?
This is the stove that I have. Model no. srn1xb2b1xbp1ex serial no. 210223409.

Keith:
I would Check to make sure the thermocouple for the pilot is in the flame for the pilot light. They have a safety feature and the Pilot will not stay lit when it doesn’t sense a flame 🔥 this is to stop the gas from flowing with no flame reducing the risk of fire or explosion.
KtownKajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:52 AM   #3

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KtownKajun View Post
I would Check to make sure the thermocouple for the pilot is in the flame for the pilot light. They have a safety feature and the Pilot will not stay lit when it doesn’t sense a flame �� this is to stop the gas from flowing with no flame reducing the risk of fire or explosion.
I concur... either the thermocouple is out of adjustment to pilot flame or is bad and needs replaced..[ Any propane outfit/supply house will have them..]

Suggestion...
Before starting to work on the pilot assembly.

Remove the oven door [should just take 2 small nails thru the holes on the hinge framework to lock half open & lift up and remove as a unit]

I didn't know that the hinges are very weak and If you put a heavy casserole pot on the open door, the weight will deform the hinges, leaning on the open oven door while working on the internals will cause the same issue..
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:42 AM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Silly question, is the propane set at the right water columns? To much or too little might be the problem.
Just a thought.
Terry
Pillbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:56 AM   #5

Suburban did have issues with the Pilot Flame Assembly

Suburban redesigned the orifice
The updated part number is 161298
the old part 161209 was apparently prone to this problem.

Contact AIRXCEL (Suburban) and see if your model is affected
Service Department
Phone: 423.775.2131
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suburban