Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2017, 05:53 AM   #1

New Tire Balancing

I have been shopping around for new tires. Replacing my Michelin 235/80/22.5. Thinking of going with Toyo 245/75/22.5.

I have a couple of questions. First, does anyone have any comments or thoughts on these Toyos? I don’t think the slight tire size would make a difference??

Second, all three quotes I received from tire shops did not include the balancing of the rear tires! All three said it was unnecessary and that I would never be able to tell. I have never heard this? Any opinions? Thoughts?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2017, 06:32 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have not run them, but hear that Toyo tires are good.

It is common to not balance tires.

I would recommend you look into getting the Centramatics wheel balancer if you experience any vibration. It is similar to the "balancing beads" that go inside the tire, but the Centramatic uses a disk that is sandwiched between wheel and hub. The nice thing about Centramatic is that you can reuse it when you change tires and move it to another RV if desired.
Wheel Balancers for many trucks, buses, trailers, and motorcycles from Centramatic

I use them on my 4x4 pickup, and will be getting a set for my Coach.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 06:44 AM   #3

I just put Toyo's on my car. I know it's not the same, but so far I am very impressed with the tires. I too am strongly considering the Centramatics balancers. The only thing I am unsure of is whether I will still be able to reach my outer brake bleed with them in place as right now I can reach it through the hole in the wheel.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 06:54 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Recently took delivery of a new Winnebago class A. On the ride home found I had a vibration in the steering wheel at 60-65 mph.

Upon inspection found that there were no wheel weights on any of the 6 wheels.

Put Centramatics on the front and the vibration was gone , installing them on the rear today.
petewolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 06:57 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I just changed from Michelin to Toyo, much quieter, much smoother.
Went from 255/80/22.5 to 265/75/22.5 they put beads in for balance all 6 tires, if you ever wish to rotate the fronts to rear you will need to balance.
Old 10-21-2017, 07:06 AM   #6
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I replaced tires this past March. I had Bridgestones. I narrowed down my choices to Toyo's and Yokohama's. I eventually went with the Yokohama's.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:15 AM   #7

Toyos. I've been running them for 40 years. On my newly acquired MH, I put on new Toyos all around. Highway in front, traction on the rear. And yes, they balance them. On my pickup and cars I always got 70,000 miles out of them. On the MH, who knows, like most it will probably age before it wears out.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:16 AM   #8

I replaced my rear Michelin tires with the Toyo's in the exact size you ask about. My steer tires are still the Michelins because I have staggered the replacement intervals to avoid having to buy six tires at once. I have been happy with the Toyos so far and have about 10,000 miles on them with no issues. I don't recall if the dealer commented on balancing the rears or not, but I had mine balanced. It just didn't seem logical to me not to balance. Many on this forum have recommended Centramatic and/or balancing beads with success. Good luck.

Shawn
Shawn E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:23 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I put toyos on my MH about four years ago and recomend them highly. The installer said the same thing about the rears but recomended balancing beads. I just had all six balance. My question was if the rear tires didn't need balancing why would you need the beads.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:18 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Little over a year ago, I stopped at Centramatics facility in Texas. They rolled my coach (15 Newmar Ventana 4369) into their shop. We went to breakfast. Returning, our coach was done. . . All axles, tag included. We departed and immediately (above 35mph) experienced the difference. At cruise, the silverware chatter was gone! We will never be without them.
Blufox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 08:54 AM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Don't know about the Toyo's. I use balancing beads in ALL my tires!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:26 AM   #12

Ask the tire shops that say it is not needed on the rear tires if they have ever owned or ridden in a motorhome. Most haven't and are just repeating something they heard or were told by their boss. An unbalanced tire in the rear will not be as noticeable as on the front, that vibration is going somewhere. I've used the balance beads with "some" success, but the wheel weight balance has always been good. On my next set of tires, I may try the centramatics. Toyos are a good choice.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 10:45 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Ask the tire shops that say it is not needed on the rear tires if they have ever owned or ridden in a motorhome. Most haven't and are just repeating something they heard or were told by their boss. An unbalanced tire in the rear will not be as noticeable as on the front, that vibration is going somewhere. I've used the balance beads with "some" success, but the wheel weight balance has always been good. On my next set of tires, I may try the centramatics. Toyos are a good choice.
Yep,
Pretty much agree with all this. An unbalanced tire is an unbalanced tire, PERIOD! If you look at your fronts and they have weights, they why woudn't the rears also need some. They may need less, maybe more. But, that out of balance vibration, like stated, is trying to go somewhere.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 12:37 PM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Always balance them. Much smoother ride.
Russ Silber is offline   Reply With Quote