Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2010, 09:19 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Unhappy New Tire Choices

Let me start off by saying that I am no tire expert. There is a lot that I don't know about tires!

I will soon be replacing my Goodyear G670 275/70R/22.5 tires. They have developed the "Rivering" wear issue associated with that brand of tire, so I will be buying another brand.

An acquaintance of mine replaced his GY's with a set of Bridgestone R280 tires, and he loves them. They are wearing well and have a soft ride, both of which are very important to me. I went on Bridgestone's truck tire web site and as luck would have it, they don't make my size tire in the R280. They do make it in their R250ED tire, but that is an 18 ply regional type tire, so it would probably be harsh riding.

Looking at Michelin's web site, I was shocked to see that they don't list my size tire in their XRV line. They do show my size in their OTR truck tires, but many of those are 18 ply as well.

So here I am back to square one. Can anyone recommend a manufacturer that makes a good tire in my size? I would like to stick to a tire that is readily available in case I am forced to replace one while on the road. I'd prefer a U.S. made tire, but at this point would consider anything with a good wear and safety track record.

Thanks.

Craig

My wife does all the driving - I just hold the wheel...
Gadget Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-14-2010, 10:21 AM   #2

I have goodyear tires and they work and wear well. They are 275-R70-22
escapernc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:41 AM   #3

I also have the same size. I replaced them with Toyo's. Very happy with them
krf9113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:11 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I hope I don't bore you; We had 2 motorhomes With the XRV tire on them. I took them off and replaced them with The XZE 2 or 3 Green line X. It makes the coach much more stable and much easier to control. The Origanel XRV tire is softer and it is like driving a sponge down the road. That is My experiance; Life is good.
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:12 PM   #5

The Michelin XZA-2 Energy is the best tire that I have found. Did you look at the Michelin RV tire website or the truck website.
Michelin North America RV Tires Page

Bachler, did you mean the XZA-2 Energy and not the XZE-2?
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 03:34 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Craig P.,
I have the same size tires as you. When it comes to Michelin, worry not about the regional designation. On several occasions, their reps would not define the term "Regional" in the RV world.
On my 05 coach, I have:
XZA-1 on the drive axle.. 67K miles. Minimal/even wear and the tires look great.
XZE-2+ on the steer axle. 65K miles. Minimal/even wear, the tires look great and ride very smooth.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 04:20 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We just put the Bridgestone 250's on our coach and love them..... can't stand paying for the blimp!!!!
Old 11-14-2010, 05:38 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Craig:

My G670 275/70/22.5's also developed rivering. I want to get another 2 yrs out of mine so I had them rotated to the outside rear.

Bridgestone was also my choice for replacements. Let us know what you decide.
Old 11-14-2010, 05:46 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Another vote for Toyo.

Dick
Old 11-14-2010, 05:54 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by krf9113 View Post
I also have the same size. I replaced them with Toyo's. Very happy with them
Thanks. I looked at Toyo's truck tire web site, but I can't make head or tails of the manner in which they show the different tire sizes. For instance, what size is a 10.00R20 tire?

If you don't mind me asking, what size tires do you have and what Toyo model tire are they? Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachler View Post
I hope I don't bore you; We had 2 motorhomes With the XRV tire on them. I took them off and replaced them with The XZE 2 or 3 Green line X.
Not boring at all, thanks for the reply. According to the Michelin web site however, XZE's are not made in my size tire. Thanks anyway.

Craig

Old 11-14-2010, 06:00 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
The Michelin XZA-2 Energy is the best tire that I have found. Did you look at the Michelin RV tire website or the truck website.
I must have been on the wrong web site. Thanks for the link, it shows that Michelin carries the XZA-2 in my size. Any idea what these are selling for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downsizer View Post
We just put the Bridgestone 250's on our coach and love them.
Are they the R250ED tires? What size tires do you have?

Craig

Old 11-14-2010, 06:06 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
My G670 275/70/22.5's also developed rivering. I want to get another 2 yrs out of mine so I had them rotated to the outside rear.
I did the exact same thing two years ago. The steer axle tires are the ones that are were rivering. It indeed bought me another two years, although it cost me $200 to have the wheels broken off the rims and remounted. I rotated mine with the inside rear as that was what the guy at the tire shop recommended.

The tires that are now on the steer axle are just as bad if not worse than the ones that I rotated them with two years ago. I'm done with Goodyear unless they change their tread design by the time I need tires again.

Craig

Old 11-14-2010, 06:58 PM   #13

Tires

If they'll fit, you might consider going with 275-80x22.5 or 11Rx22.5. They'll ride smoother and are abundant in every brand and 14 and 16 ply.

Don
lonestarace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 07:00 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downsizer View Post
We just put the Bridgestone 250's on our coach and love them..... can't stand paying for the blimp!!!!
Amen. Over the summer I did all 4 rear axle tires with the Bridgestone 22.5 R250's low profile. Nice heavy sidewall, almost zero roll, very stable feeling. I have no clue how to compare the ride amongst them versus some other brands since it's almost impossible to "try" several brands before you buy - and besides, by the time it needs new tires again I'll never remember what the new original tires felt like.. I'd rather have a good stable sidewalled tire that may ride a bit rougher than softer feeling tires. I love overkill- especially in tires. This summer I plan on replacing the steer axle tires with the same.