Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2021, 04:08 PM   #1

New Tire Needed?

Today I noticed damage to one of my 43-foot motorhome rear tires. I have no idea what caused this chunk of rubber to be removed from the tire. I'm wondering if a new tire is required. Any thoughts from everybody out there would be appreciated!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210326_173014.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	254.7 KB
ID:	322722

Name:	20210326_172555.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	322723

Name:	20210326_172528.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	322724
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2021, 05:21 PM   #2
Decrepit Forum Advocate

How old is the tire? i believe that's referred to as "chunking." Although it's not immediately dangerous if, as has been discussed previously on the forum, a belt hasn't been damaged.

Here's a general description of chunking although it pertains to a passenger car tire but may be somewhat applicable:

3 TIRE DAMAGE WARNING SIGNS THAT IT’S TIME TO REPLACE YOUR RUBBER

And take a look at this previous thread ...although his tire looks to be much more worn, comments are it isn't anything to worry about --take a look at the last post too:

Tire concern! How urgent is this?

Let's see what the tire experts here on the forum say about your situation. I'd be tempted to have it inspected by a commercial truck tire shop if finding it on my tire.
theroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 05:59 PM   #3

The tires are exactly 5 years old with 12K miles. Thank you for the links. I'll have the tire looked at, as it's pretty deep.
Old 03-26-2021, 06:08 PM   #4

Tread separation is always serious, have it replaced. I once had a tire begin chunking and decided to run it until I returned home. While being passed by a semi the tire completely lost all tread, startled both drivers. That strip of tread tore up the LR fender of my truck before completely separating from the carcass.
I was very thankful the inner air bladder retained air until I could reduce speed and limp to an off-ramp where I changed to my spare. This was on a 3/4T pickup towing a 5er. By the time I had the spare installed the tread-less tire had lost all air pressure.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 12:30 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSwett View Post
The tires are exactly 5 years old with 12K miles. Thank you for the links. I'll have the tire looked at, as it's pretty deep.
They shouldnít be aged out if they are 5 years old based on manufactures date code but I would have it check if you have a pro you trust. Most tire guys I have found really donít know much about tire conditions or tire life. I have been misguided be several that have a lot of years under their belt with truck tires. I would probably cut the rubber chunk off and see if cord is showing. If the cord is exposed the replacement is required and I would replace all tires in that axle. If it is a steer tire then replace it anyway along with the other side. Usually this is caused by either the rubber getting hard (the tire is at end of its life) or hitting a curb or pot hole or other obstacle. Sometimes you donít realize you hit it.

Just my 2 cents worth after running a small fleet of trucks for over 40 years.
Old 03-27-2021, 11:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piros1 View Post
They shouldnít be aged out if they are 5 years old based on manufactures date code but I would have it check if you have a pro you trust. Most tire guys I have found really donít know much about tire conditions or tire life. I have been misguided be several that have a lot of years under their belt with truck tires. I would probably cut the rubber chunk off and see if cord is showing. If the cord is exposed the replacement is required and I would replace all tires in that axle. If it is a steer tire then replace it anyway along with the other side. Usually this is caused by either the rubber getting hard (the tire is at end of its life) or hitting a curb or pot hole or other obstacle. Sometimes you donít realize you hit it.

Just my 2 cents worth after running a small fleet of trucks for over 40 years.
Once tread integrity is compromised it doesn't take long for centrifugal force to pull the remaining tread off the carcass.

Have you read the threads concerning resulting fiberglass body damage from flailing rubber?
I lost the tread on a flatbed trailer tire, before I got stopped it had beaten the fender so much I had to pull it away from the axle before I could mount the spare. (glad I had a come-along in the truck)
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 11:43 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I curious what brand of tire is it?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 06:00 AM   #8

They are Bridgestone "Eco-Pia" tires. Here are few better photos of the damage:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210327_105252.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	267.3 KB
ID:	322861   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210327_105306.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	301.5 KB
ID:	322862  

Name:	20210327_105316.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	281.8 KB
ID:	322863   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210327_105327.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	515.7 KB
ID:	322864  

Old 03-28-2021, 06:27 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Once tread integrity is compromised it doesn't take long for centrifugal force to pull the remaining tread off the carcass.

Have you read the threads concerning resulting fiberglass body damage from flailing rubber?
I lost the tread on a flatbed trailer tire, before I got stopped it had beaten the fender so much I had to pull it away from the axle before I could mount the spare. (glad I had a come-along in the truck)
Yes I know what happens to fiberglass when a tire blows. I own 40 trucks and I have seen a front tire on one of my trucks cut a front fender off the truck before it could be pulled over to the shoulder of the road. And yes I know what happens when the tread is ripped off the carcass. My experience with our trucks is if it is a chip in the tread from hitting something and it is only in the outer layer of tread you can cleanly cut the chunk of rubber off and run it on a drive tire. I said if it is a front tire replace it same with a cut down past the tread. Also you have to watch the tire for future degradation. If the tire is aged out based on manufacturing date then it is time for it to go along with the rest of the tires on that axle. Always replace duel s in pairs and if tires show any wear or older than a year replace all tires on that axle. Front tires are not as forgiving and I would never replace one without the other. I have seen tires that the carcass and rubber run 8 plus years no issues or degradation but gave also and these were Michelin tires start cracking and tread peeling at 6 years. Actually they were the only steer tire I had that started degrading that early in life and they were on the front of a previous coach I owned.

I can only advise based on my experiences and what I have been taught over the years by tire suppliers. I donít claim to be an expert but I have been involved with purchase thousands of tires over the past 45 plus years and seen and experienced many tire issues most due to driver error or lack of maintenance.

The OP needs to check the tire closely and try to make an educated decision that they feel good about.
Old 03-28-2021, 08:38 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Good job on inspecting your tires. I'm constantly doing the same. Many blowouts and problems are avoided by doing so. 1 blowout in 60 years.
Old 03-28-2021, 08:52 AM   #11

Looks like it is a steer tire? Seems somewhat worn for only 12K. I would replace it.
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire