Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2012, 11:52 AM   #1

new tires

Well I broke down & got new michlins (235/80/22.5) which come off of it with 23000 miles. But they had to come off due to age.

Spent $2929.73 for all new out the door so I guess thats not to bad when you consider what could happen.

Hope that gives some one else an idea of what they go for in N.C.!!

Also hope next doesn't come soon.
oldfart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2012, 11:59 AM   #2

Congratulations on your purchase. Tire prices are all over the place the point is, you were proactive and changed them to be safe and secure. Many wait until they have a blowout which can do damage or worse.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:59 AM   #3

$3,000, Yikes! $488/tire. Sure hope my next RV has 19.5's like the one I'm in now does.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : https://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
we're getting new tires next month...thru FMCA 'Advantange' (or whatever it is). With the price of oil the way it is, prices won't be going down. It would cost more if we had it done at home.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #5

I just replace all 6 245/70r/19.5 with toyos. Out the door was $2569.That was in JAcksonville, fl
koda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 07:03 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
had our coach tires changed out last year, exact same size & model--$2550 out the door--tires prices have certainly gone up!!
txdutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:08 PM   #7

Spent the last few months shopping for tires. Finally pulled the trigger today due to the great weather. Decided on Costco due to 1) price (($397 + tax for Michelin XRV 235/80R22.5) and quick availability, even though this particular Costco cannot mount/balance). 2) expectation that using a national chain like Costco will give me warranty support around the country as we travel (if needed). FYI, the price was $30/tire LESS just 3 weeks ago when I first inquired (higher fuel prices?)
Planning to find a shop in town that does static rim weight balancing vs the powder or bead method. In my discussions, it appears this is the better route if you can find a shop that can handle the 22.5" rims. Any feedback is welcome! Thank you.
pacearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:28 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi pacearrow,
Welcome th iRV2. Any truck tire shop will mount and balance the tires. Get new valve stems. Consider TCI. Go to Tire Centers LLC and read about them.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:49 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Houston to Louisville Ga.

So, we packed up the motor home with what looked like way too much stuff and headed out to Ga...

It started raining as we pulled out of the driveway..I can see now, this ain't gonna be a real pleasant trip..

We ride in the rain til Mobile Al. and it finally quits... We hit I 65 toward Birmingham and suffered a blowout on the rear of the motor home....Lucky we had put the spare tire into the belly of the Beast before we left....

A call to AAA and 2 hrs later we are on our way again....

Some 14 hours after we left we finally pull into a rest area a couple miles from the Ga state line and got a little sleep....

We finally arrive at our destination @ 12 pm the next day...

I get to looking at the date on my perfect looking tires and realize that they are 12 yrs old, they are not cracked or dry rotted looking but 1 blew one last year and one this trip so maby it's time to do something about them....They are 7 ply LT tires and it is time for them to go....

We install 10 ply heavy truck tires, problem seems to be solved as we make several more trips without problems....33 ft Pace Arrow with 16 in ch tires......cost $916 and some change
duflochy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #10

Thanks Gary! We have one of your recommended centers right here in Burlington VT. Unfortunately, I can't get them to give me the time of day in the 2 times I've contacted them. They don't seem interested in helping out RV folk.
pacearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:11 PM   #11

Tires

Last summer after making a rip to tthe 'lower 48', we finally replaced our tires back home in Alaska. While we were on that trip I looked for new tires but could not find the size that I needed (275/70R22.5), at any place that we were staying. I did find tires but they could not be delivered to us in the time frame that we could work with. I ended up with a Firestone tire. While the tread may not be what works on the roads in the ' lower 48', they will be very good for our roads. The best part was that I got them at a lower cost then what I could find outside. Paid right $2500 for all six tires installed.
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:46 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Where did you get them from??
troyrice76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:01 AM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi pacearrow,
Welcome th iRV2. Any truck tire shop will mount and balance the tires. Get new valve stems. Consider TCI. Go to Tire Centers LLC and read about them.
Hey Gary, I've got one of these only 20 miles from me. They are very helpful and even if they don't sell me the tires (he said they are a Michelin dealer) they will sure be happy to put them on. Casper needs 4 new 245 70 r19.5...

Thanks!

Old 03-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #14

Send a message via Yahoo to chili's trip
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2Home View Post
Last summer after making a rip to tthe 'lower 48', we finally replaced our tires back home in Alaska. While we were on that trip I looked for new tires but could not find the size that I needed (275/70R22.5), at any place that we were staying. I did find tires but they could not be delivered to us in the time frame that we could work with. I ended up with a Firestone tire. While the tread may not be what works on the roads in the ' lower 48', they will be very good for our roads. The best part was that I got them at a lower cost then what I could find outside. Paid right $2500 for all six tires installed.
I paid $2220 for 6 Firestone GS 560+, 245-70-19.5 (G), out the door Oct/ 11. 3500 miles and very happy. Thanks.
chili's trip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires