Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2013, 02:46 PM   #1

New Tires 275/70R 22.5

I am going to replace the 275/70R 22.5 tires on my class A. I currently have Michelin with a DOT of 2008 on the front and Sumitomo on the rear duals and I am not sure about the DOT on these. I don't have any history on the tires since I just bought the Coach in March of this year. All tires look good and no unusual wear of cupping. I would just feel better with 6 new tires. I have read a number of post on the forum about various tire brands and I am a member of FMCA and I have looked into the Michelin discount program. I have no problem with the Michelins and the Sumitomo is a good looking tire that I have read good things about. Toyo, Hancook, Bridgestone and Continental also are mentioned a lot. I don't think Toyo has a 275/70R 22.5 tire at this time. I also want a good quality shop to install and balance them as well here in the Houston TX area. Any suggestion on tire brand to consider and for anyone in the Houston area suggestions on a good tire shop would be appreciated.

Thanks
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2013, 06:26 PM   #2

Michelin states that their tires are good for 10 years-with a qualification. After they are 5 years old they should be de-mounted and inspected annually. My same-size tires are also 08 dated. This fall I will have them inspected per recommendation, even though they look new on sidewalls and tread. Tire fail from the inside first, so looks are not a good indicator of condition.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Michelin states that their tires are good for 10 years-with a qualification. After they are 5 years old they should be de-mounted and inspected annually. My same-size tires are also 08 dated. This fall I will have them inspected per recommendation, even though they look new on sidewalls and tread. Tire fail from the inside first, so looks are not a good indicator of condition.
Here is a Michelin publication addressing tire life. My reading of it suggests to me that Michelin does not state their tires are good for ten years. My read tells me that if I'm lucky or foolish enough to have ten year old tires in service, Michelin encourages you to replace them.

http://www.michelinrvtires.com/asset...esBrochure.pdf

If you are looking for Michelins then TCI tires do a great job and they are owned by Michelin. GCR tires are owned by Bridgestone.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:55 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Here is a Michelin publication addressing tire life. My reading of it suggests to me that Michelin does not state their tires are good for ten years. My read tells me that if I'm lucky or foolish enough to have ten year old tires in service, Michelin encourages you to replace them....
This subject seems to be discussed regularly and endlessly. I've seen this brochure, and the information in it is pretty standard across the industry. In my opinion, this is carefully couched language published at the insistence of the manufacturer's legal department. You're supposed to get on your knees and determine whether the barely visible cracks that you see are more than 1/32" deep-- but not more than 2/32"? Seriously???

The marketing people absolutely will not allow a statement that says "These tires have a five year life limit", which is probably what most of the engineers would feel safe with. That would put them at a competitive disadvantage. The legal people absolutely will not allow a statement that says "These tires have a ten year plus life", which is likely what the marketing types want. That would open them to outrageous liability for all failures occurring before 10 or so years have passed. So the upshot is that after 5 years you are responsible for measuring a crack depth to within 1/64th of an inch. Please.

If you back off a short distance and look at what they're saying, its clear, and to some degree understandable. They have no control over how the tires are handled once they are purchased. After five years of unknown use or abuse, they simply can't know what's going to happen, and they won't stand behind the tires. So they tell you that you're on your own, without saying it directly.

Of course, its something of a racket. You buy a new set, and the old ones-- six years old but with lots of good tread left-- get sold off to some second-tier outfit and wind up screaming past you on the interstate at 80+ on the tail end of some gypsy's flatbed. <sigh> So who's safe now?

If you bought a set brand new, and you know that they've never been overloaded, underinflated, overheated, hit some curbs, exceeded their speed rating, caught too many UV rays, or sat too long without moving, then you could be in a position to measure the cracks and decide to keep running them as long as you feel comfortable. Personally, I'd rather just replace them and think about other things.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Hi adonh,
Getting back to what you asked, consider staying with Michelin tires. I've had Michelin Brand tires on all my coaches since 1978. I can not help you with a Houston located shop installation shop.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 03:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFXG View Post
This subject seems to be discussed regularly and endlessly. I've seen this brochure, and the information in it is pretty standard across the industry. In my opinion, this is carefully couched language published at the insistence of the manufacturer's legal department. You're supposed to get on your knees and determine whether the barely visible cracks that you see are more than 1/32" deep-- but not more than 2/32"? Seriously???

The marketing people absolutely will not allow a statement that says "These tires have a five year life limit", which is probably what most of the engineers would feel safe with. That would put them at a competitive disadvantage. The legal people absolutely will not allow a statement that says "These tires have a ten year plus life", which is likely what the marketing types want. That would open them to outrageous liability for all failures occurring before 10 or so years have passed. So the upshot is that after 5 years you are responsible for measuring a crack depth to within 1/64th of an inch. Please.

If you back off a short distance and look at what they're saying, its clear, and to some degree understandable. They have no control over how the tires are handled once they are purchased. After five years of unknown use or abuse, they simply can't know what's going to happen, and they won't stand behind the tires. So they tell you that you're on your own, without saying it directly.

Of course, its something of a racket. You buy a new set, and the old ones-- six years old but with lots of good tread left-- get sold off to some second-tier outfit and wind up screaming past you on the interstate at 80+ on the tail end of some gypsy's flatbed. <sigh> So who's safe now?

If you bought a set brand new, and you know that they've never been overloaded, underinflated, overheated, hit some curbs, exceeded their speed rating, caught too many UV rays, or sat too long without moving, then you could be in a position to measure the cracks and decide to keep running them as long as you feel comfortable. Personally, I'd rather just replace them and think about other things.
I agree, and it was not my intention to run these for 5 more years. As I said I have no history on these tires and I will be replacing them. You brought up a good point that I had thought about, what happens to the tires that are being replaced. These tires look good enough to end up on some rig as you say going down the road at 80 MPH. So the danger is still there. Thanks for the input.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi adonh,
Getting back to what you asked, consider staying with Michelin tires. I've had Michelin Brand tires on all my coaches since 1978. I can not help you with a Houston located shop installation shop.
There is a big Michelin dealer not to far from me. I am going to get the full details and pricing on the FMCA discount arrangement and see what that comes out to be. Thanks
Old 07-07-2013, 06:07 PM   #8

Just remember that the first time you have a tread separation at 65mph and the resulting carnage that it will cause to airbags, brake lines, air lines, support struts, fiberglass and wiring, will be the day that you really WISHED you had changed the tires.

This is what I found 2 days ago when pulling into a gas station off I-15 - ok, I only have 16" tires but this is an 7 year old tire

steveclv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I had Michelins installed by Strouhals down in Rosharon, south of Houston, and they did a great job and know how to handle the discount program.
2004 Jeep Liberty
Rvaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Just installed a set of 6 new 11R22.5 AH12 Hankooks on out 2000 American Eagle and after a 1200 mile trip last week I must say they are a dramatic improvement over the G670RV's on the front and the G159's on the drivers. Smoother and quieter, and the peace of mind that I am not just waiting for a blowout.

Gary
Old 07-09-2013, 03:19 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
new tires

go with the Michelins and the FMCA program and you get a great tire for a fair price. My Michelins had 11 years and 47K when I replaced them last year. Many will tell you to replace them sooner but I believe there are too many variables to make blanket statements like changing them every 5 or xx years. I had them inspected each year and didn't have any issues until we noticed the slightest cracks and the tech said it was probably time to replace.

I saved a few $$ by going to Toyo but the ride was harsher and the steering had a much different feel to it. After the first trip of a 1000 miles I decided the Michelins rode much better on my coach so I returned the Toyos and put on Michelins. Ride returned to normal.
hhansen59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires